Why doesn't the jailor care about us?

So the Jailor seems to have a thing about making blonde princes serve him, but also seems interested in turning others into ‘weapons’ for him.

Why isn’t he particularly interested in Maw Walkers, the ones who can easily move in and out of his realm with little issue?

2 Likes

If you have a giant army even bigger than the legion, why does it matter if the occasional adventurer takes out a few dozen. If I had to guess, the jailer may even see it as artificial selection for culling the weak and as a testing ground for us to fight his army. He clearly does smite people once they actually become a nuisance (debuff is unsurvivable). It might be that he simply has bigger fish to fry with different natural forces (void, light, death, order titans, etc) than to waste time with us.

6 Likes

I’m less in the ‘why doesnt he want to kill us’ and more ‘why doesn’t he want to kill us and make us into a weapon’.

If he converts anduin, anduin is still seemingly stuck in the maw. If he converted us we could move freely.

Because it’s classic villain stupidity…the villain NEVER considers the game/story/tv show hero as a threat to their plans until it’s too late for plot reasons. Arthas was the only stand-out because him letting the PC go multiple times in Wrath was because he wanted us as strong as we could get before he killed us because he wanted us to be his new super-soldiers of the Scourge.

20 Likes

With Turalyon on the stormwind throne as a reagent, I’m assuming the story is going to take a turn towards the cosmic force of Light playing a big role in a future patch/expansion. Anduin might represent something that the Army of the Light is very interested in and thus the Jailer covets that too if he wants to make war against them.

/Shrug

3 Likes

Um, I think you just revealed the Jailor’s master plan, now that I think about it.

4 Likes

Well since they’ve retconned the helm of domination to literally be ‘The jailer trying to control the Lich King’ and there really was some tiny vestige of Arthas trying to hold the Scourge back and having Jaina and other prisoners mention ‘it was like we were being tested in some way’, it’s probably true.

He cares, but apparently we don’t have the special mojo that would make us an ideal weapon for whatever purpose he’s focused on right now. (I’m assuming there is something Anduin can do that would potentially free the Jailer from the Maw).

Priorities - get out of the Maw first, then set about enslaving all of creation.

1 Like

You know certain stuff got me thinking, since we know (judging by the fact a Mogu, AND tol’vir got into revendreth) Titan-forged DO come into the shadowlands. I Guess the jailers goal is to forge Azeroths soul like he is doing with Anduin etc?

I am also curious how the fact that titan-forged being able to go to the shadowlands something only mortals are supposed to do… impacts the stuff about “What caused the arbiter situation”. We do know it is Burning Legion related. But beyond that. We also know that there were titan-forged in Antorus.

Mogue and tol’vir can be flesh however (Mogu are a bit more complicated).

1 Like

Yes but flesh =/= soul.

Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, Goblins (I think?) and effectively Orcs were all Titanforged races at one point, and they go to the shadowlands.

3 Likes

I really doubt that whatever he has planned for Anduin will kill him outright, otherwise there is very little reason to keep him alive and not just entrap his soul atm.

1 Like

Beings that are Titan forged and beings that are flesh both have souls. What was insidious about Yogg-Saron’s curse of flesh was not just that it made titanforged weaker and more susceptible to corruption, but it actively stopped their souls from being reforged, so they could truly die. That’s why Yogg-Saron is referred to as the Old God of death.

(Of course there are was around this. Death wing had a way of revoking the curse as a servant of the Old Gods. Gearmaster Mechazod could turn gnomes back into mechagnomes and Odyn could reforge the souls of the worthy after they died as mortals into Valajar thanks to his Kyrian copies the Val’kyr.)

Hard to say. Was there a reason to keep Arthas alive before he became the Lich King?

Anduin is probably much stronger than us and has an extremely strong connection to the light. He probably has some special main character chosen one stuff about him too which the Jailer wants for himself.

This expansion I’m glad has toned down our characters, there are a lot of Maw Walkers who are also joining covenants and helping out, so we aren’t special snowflake saviors anymore, so for sure important lore characters are stronger

He does get interested in you… Personally when you reach Tier 5 of his notice.

1 Like

He can get out. If you do the Maldraxxus campaign Kel’thuzad escapes with the help of some mawsworn and a portal to the Maw which implies that the Jailer can move his forces in and out, but so far has chosen not to.

“No one escapes the maw”

Except like literally everyone. What a silly marketing phrase.

4 Likes

He calls it “interesting” when we first escape, maybe he’s retooled his plans to include us. We do seem to conveniently rescue a lot of people who’ve been in Torghast long enough to have been bent to his will after all.

He has short term memory loss and forgets us after a day.

2 Likes