Why does WRA feel so... dead?

There’s almost no one in cities, on both Horde and Alliance. What happened?

I come back to Retail after a couple years and my favorite server is just a ghost town. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Points to the Shadowlands

Kind of difficult to keep your enjoyment in the game when the Powers-that-Be decide to completely shart all over their own game by making Death meaningless and utterly decimating every popular story beat for the sake of making white, unwrinkled Thanos the 36d chess master of everything with no lead-up and no explanation to his motives other than ‘universe bad, chains good’.

20 Likes

I’ve found that a lot of people on blue side have moved to Moon Guard. There’s not much to do in terms of current content since whatever the new raid is called has been out for months. It doesn’t help when Blizzard royally screws themselves by getting a big lawsuit slapped in one of their least popular expansions. Bunch of things combined were making people unsubscribe for good or take breaks more than usual. Stormwind being super dead kind of makes me sad, it was always a fun place to find broken walls and watch people freak out.

7 Likes

Ah, here’s the monthly “Guys, WrA is so dead, you should XXX” poster

There is this distinct issue that, well, you’re not really being truthful so you’re either being a fatalist or a troll, usually the latter.

Yeah, it’s not as active, but there has been a distinct uptick in activity since Dragonflight seems to be an expansion people are genuinely excited for.

Perhaps if you weren’t lazy and looked for people beyond one or two spots, or at the low activity hours of the day, you’d be able to find them.

4 Likes

Ally side youll wanna go to Duskwood for your RP hub
Orgs in in the Valley of…honor?
Silvermoons is in Wayfarers and the Bazaar

6 Likes

Hi there! I can totally understand how you got that impression because I did, too, at first when I came back. But actually there is a thriving community here on both sides!

Much of the walk-up RP has changed to other areas outside of the main cities (thought not all, of course), and a lot of it is now taking place at public events created by players all week long. Marketplaces, tavern hang outs, adventures, etc.!

There’s also guild-based RP as well, of course!

The best way to find where the RP is at is through Discord servers, such as this one: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/en/wow/t/wyrmrest-community-project/1162999

It’s great for staying in touch with and meeting your fellow RPers to hit folks up for some random RP, ask about events, or even coordinate one yourself! It’s a very friendly community, so you have an added sense of comfort knowing that the people you’ll be meeting in RP for the first time are good people.

Hope to see you on WRA!

11 Likes

why just a few days a go, a bunch of Forsaken were in Silverpine talking about their current state

4 Likes

Also, we’re nearing the end of an expansion. It makes sense that people are probably taking breaks before Dragonflight begins.

1 Like

“Be the change you want to see in the world…of warcraft” - Topper McNabb, year 27, colorized.

7 Likes

sh!t was poppin on tuesday for the first day of brewfest, saw plenty of WRA ppl even on my pesky MG server

2 Likes

Not sure what to say other than… you’re wrong? Alliance has hit hard times but I play almost every single day and am on at really weird hours on Horde and Orgrimmar is never empty. Never even close to empty. I RP in the graveyard hours at around 2 AM most nights and while people actively RPing at that hour isn’t high (though there’s usually 1-2 groups still kicking outside my own), there’s still usually ten or so people hanging out in just Valley of Honor alone at that time. That doesn’t even include people in Valley of Strength or the actual peak hours for gameplay.

Unless your idea of a server that isn’t “dead” being a server so jam packed full of people you can’t find any spot for a quiet private RP conversation in the city, like MG’s Stormwind. That’s not to say we haven’t taken a hit thanks to Shadowlands and lost some friends on the way out of it, but “dead” is simply wrong.

I apologize if this isn’t a productive or kind thing to say, but we get these posts often and they’re always either trolls, someone who thinks every inch of a city needs to be occupied by a player, or someone too lazy to actually look around.

Go into the game right now and take a screenshot of Valley of Strength. Of Valley of Honor. Take a screenshot of Oribos, where people who are still doing content during the pre expansion lull. Then post it all here. Tell me how “dead” that looks.

4 Likes

I get the frustration but we don’t need to do this.

13 Likes

Because canonically, we actually failed to stop The Jailer from rewriting reality and he actually rewrote it in a way where we thought we won, but actually the server got wiped out and you’re talking with ghosts right now.

7 Likes

I mean, if you wanna come to Duskwood and talk to ghosts I’d like that. We’re friendly, I promise.

10 Likes

I see people in the Valley of Honor all the time. How do you feel Orgrimmar is dead?

I am not on at weird hours but this is my experience when I am there.

1 Like

Gonna second and third that VoH(and org in general) is always occupied. The peak I usually see is around 6-9pm ish server time, but there’s usually still people around even when I’m up from 12-5am server time, too. It’s not “huge numbers” like mg-a but other people have explained what reasons could have driven that… for now. Even shadowlands had an uptick in rp pop before the expac’s particular fatigues (not counting irl reasons which are also valid) kicked in, and I think dragonflight will probably have a bit more staying power. Probably.

Anyway, like other people have also said to similar affects: Rp is where you make it, and you’ll likely fair better with being more proactive on that front if you want to rp during the remaining 1 and a halfish months before pre-patch and dragonflight launch.

6 Likes

Swing by the Drag tomorrow between 5 and 7 server time and you’ll see a bunch of the guilds that are still actively playing and recruiting. We’ve had about a couple dozen every month., and that’s only the ones that come out to the faire.

There’s definitely people out and about.

4 Likes

Wow is dead.

While it’s certainly not dead, I can understand what you might be feeling.

During Legion and parts of BFA I feel like were some of the greatest times for me RP wise. While BFA was unpopular and considered “the worst” they were all issues pretty grounded for everyone. They were real tangible issues that connected with enemies and ideas we knew and loved. People love the story with the Legion, people like faction conflict as well as avoiding faction conflict. Legion provided a time of taking down a foe for the time being that has ruined many peoples lives on Azeroth while BFA provided a time for those who wanted immerse themselves in faction conflict and then rebelling against that concept.

Shadowlands…well. Shadowlands took what was near and dear to many and sent it far off into the cosmos where nobody could come to an agreement if people could go to the Shadowlands or not. It created a strange environment of people at first really going along with it and then just…losing interest. It wasn’t Azeroth. They were issues way too large for mortals, in a place mortals should not be. It made the afterlife far too structured, rather than mysterious. It spat in the face many cultures in this world, and…to not go on a tangent here but really just feels like the story was designed by a bunch of atheists who maybe don’t see the importance of keeping mysticism alive for the people of a world and culture. It created an awful mentality of wanting to correct people, trying to tell people how the afterlife works, when afterlife folklore is very important to many beliefs. People were unhappy with a change to one of the most dangerous demons, the Nathrezim. Not to mention, mechanically, it gets tiresome. There are more currencies this expac than I think of any other expac. The things you have to level up on each character, just to get the transmog or collectables. The need to repeat some of these things over and over again in a world that has no significant meaning to our characters.

Theres nothing to talk about with Shadowlands. No one talks about the Jailer, no one talks about Ven’ari. No one talks about Denathrius and people claiming to having heard the voice of Elune just feels too special of something for us to have access to right now.

The ending had some good about it, and Shadowlands introduced a lot of good concepts. More cosmetics, ensembles, people like renown I think. They started doing a new form of cutscene now, which I hope continues. But Shadowlands really complicated everything, which is a shame, because the Venthyr are pretty cool. However I would of much rathered , I think, for the Venthyr to be something we discover at another time, it could of been world that existed in parallel to the homeworld of the Dreadlords while still being a realm of punishment. We could of explored the origins of vampiric curses and reveal Denathrius as a sophisticated demon king corrupted by Sargeras. A real waste of a great character and zone for it to be in the afterlife.

Because really…when you try to talk about the Shadowlands, imagine how crazy it must sound to people. Gotosh here believes people might of experienced what they thought they did, but that due to mortal eyes were only shown things that can be easily translated and that what they saw was not he truth. I mean really…the afterlife turns everyone into blue humans and there are multiple floating doors that lead you to a land with Victorian vampires, fairies, talking skeletons that make blight even in the afterlife and robots that print everything. Really good conversation piece for shaman and spirit workers.

And while people ARE coming back, because I do not believe it’s dead, I’ve been in org many times recently where there were so many people, I think RECENTLY…just from my observation … Org is weirdly getting more and more OOC? And with that, comes disruptions and a lack of want to be around it.

I’ve been watching the Valley of Honor over the past month or so and the area in front of the Tail I feel is often getting more out of character. Not all the time, but I noticed an uptick. The more people do something, the more people feel its okay to follow it, people become lax to the environment and it starts becoming the norm. I personally I miss when Orgrimmar felt more like a city and less like a waiting room.

There was for a moment, a lot of hot activity in Silvermoon due to a guild hosting an engaging bar and tavern scene, where then Orgrimmar for a good bit had more OOC jumping around.

So I think it’s a big mixture of this. People are tired of Shadowlands and perhaps tired of Orgrimmar RP. It’s hard to have engaging city role play when there are groups of people having very loud ooc conversations in the middle of an rp hotspot, dropping turnips, dummies, ethereals , fishing globes and PvPing. Not to mention the Alliance keeps showing up, making it unenjoyable by constantly trying to sit there and dragging the guards, then people come and kill them and then fighting breaks out. Blah blah blah people will fight and pvp and troll, whatever, I know the nuance of things. But I’m growing more unhappy about it.

Not even I like being in Orgrimmar much anymore. So I’m even contributing into it feeling like a ghost town sometimes. It’s boring and the behavior has become obnoxious where it ruins my enjoyment.

So…I think this pretty much covers the bases.

And no WoW is not dead, there are still things to do. VoH is still very much active, just depends on the time and day and what events might be going on that might have people interested. Keep an eye on big events on WrA and MG to see if thats where people might be!

8 Likes

You’re looking in the wrong places. Events are the new hubs. There’s lots of RP going on week in and week out.

2 Likes