Why does the developer team make the choices that they make?

So what, if the majority of the feedback they get is going to always be negative, should they still ignore it like they’re doing now? I still don’t feel like that’s a good excuse to ignore it.

I never said that. And I don’t believe they ignore feedback. I think they take it under consideration and history has shown they constantly change things based on negative feedback.

1 Like

The best feedback any company can get is from long time users who no longer use… Not the only, but the best feedback!

I was pointing out that Friends wouldn’t be a quality source. Too small of a sample, generally

The financial divisions in activision/blizzard are calling the shots, every piece of content they’ve made in the last few years has been designed to increase play time, increase transactions etc.

1 Like

I’m aware of what was said, I’m also aware that in terms of where they actually reference in general it’s not GD.

No it isn’t and you cannot prove that.

They look at a lot of sources. Sources that sometimes (not always) have much better constructive systems in place for feedback. Please tell me, in BfA what single issue have they ignored that has been complained about ad nauseam?

Because ignoring, and acknowledging but not giving us what we want are two VERY different things.

I absolutely agree that they are too small a sample that was my general point. I suspect they are getting a very skewed view of things.

ahhh, okay! :smiley:

History has shown, yes, but recent history, like with BfA, has not shown that. People left mountains of feedback in the BfA beta about multiple different issues, it was ignored. Then people left mountains of feedback after BfA came out about the same issues, it was ignored. People are still leaving feedback about the same issues that a lot of people seem to agree with, and it still seems like it’s being ignored, because the devs aren’t really addressing it all, things like problems with class design or people disliking flying being time gated for so long.

And that’s how we got to where we are now, and why the general consensus with BfA seems to be so negative. Just repeatedly ignored feedback, and now players feel like they’re just being ignored and their faith in the devs is slowly being whittled away because of it.

1 Like

Arrogance.

They think they know what we want without needing to listen to what we’re asking for.

Go watch their QnAs they constantly say they know we’re having fun, but wont share their metrics for how they judge that.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what your point is. Negative feedback is incredibly important to companies, to the point where they spend millions to gather such feedback. When Lowe’s changed CEO’s a huge chunk of the changes made to that company was due to customer feedback, and took a lot of the feedback Home Depot collected and used that to help Lowes, positive feedback isnt near important.

And there are business numbers that show that a complaining customer is worth and representative of quite a lot of people.

I dunno if they ignore it, but their solutions suggest they have lived in a bubble for probably the last 6 or so years(being generous). I think it’s pretty obvious Blizzard(and a large portion of the game industry) lives in a bubble.

Thats true, we cant make such statements but at the same time all the other metrics are assumed as well. We really dont know what information they pull on things, how/why they pull and look at it, nor what conclusions they get from them. For all we know it agrees with the general displeasure of the forums but they choose to ignore it for whatever reason or only look at participation numbers and not the chat inside them being about how much they hate doing this thing but feel forced to do it. We really dont know.

As it stands there is no viable way to know how any majority feels about anything in the game, or at least none that Blizzard is willing to lay out in explanation.

It is by Blizzard’s own hand that we are left in the dark scratching our heads about so many seemingly terrible designs and choices and have no other means of expressing our thoughts on it than in these forums and other media outlets.

1 Like

I really wish Ion and his development team would step down from their position and pass the torch to someone else. I’d even be happy having Ghostcrawler back. The game is in such a sad state right now. It’s so glaringly obvious that the majority of players left playing this game do not agree with his decisions.

1 Like

The fallacy in your argument is the ignored part. It hasn’t been ignored. They have addressed it and talked about it multiple times. They just stand their ground and are not going to change it. That is a very different argument. Pathfinder is the best example. Do I like it? No, I think it’s being implemented in a wrong way, do they know a lot of us don’t like it? Yes. But they have told us where they stand on it. The end.

Class design is another perfect example. Class changes, as they have mentioned take a lot of time and normally can only be changed in patches not updates (differences). So, just because changes arent instant, doesn’t mean they don’t happen. talk to any current shaman how they feel now vs at launch of bfa

The playerbase isnt split on flying. We all want it. THe white knights want to virtue signal to the devs and say they dont.

If the devs say they were for unrestricted fyling, there wer be 2 or 3 at most still arguing against it. (Yes that was sarcastic. There might be 4)

3 Likes

We know what their metrics are. It’s time spent on grinding. They do this all the time. “Look how many people are doing WQs! What a good job we did! They must be having so much fun getting that rep!”

3 Likes

Because they get told to by people in suits. Developers almost always want to create the best product possible. It is when the people who wear collars and suits get involved and demand changes based on business reasons and not on what’s good or fun reasons.

The programmer who wears an Ant-Man T-shirt and saddles to work does care about putting on changes that force you to play additional minutes. He or she wants to write a game where you want to play many additional minutes and love each one of those minutes.

1 Like

Correct. I agree 100%

Speaking of suits, our lead developer is a lawyer. You may have a point here.

I like to imagine what would happen to a dungeon master who treated his players the way Blizzard treats theirs.

Player: “Okay, I’m going to use my flying carpet to scout ahead.”

DM: “Sorry, your carpet doesn’t fly anymore.”

Player: “But I’ve been using the carpet the entire campaign!”

DM: “Yeah, but this week you’re in a new town, so the carpet doesn’t work, because I worked hard on this map and I don’t want you skipping any of it. Maybe if you’re good I’ll let you use it once you’ve done everything there is to do in this area.”

4 Likes