Why does the developer team make the choices that they make?

Supposedly they did that to make salary room for developers which the game desperately needs (that or management of whats being worked on). Time will tell if it was worth it, but direction is a problem as well. But at least with more manpower we can get a Legion which satisfied a lot of people. Misguided or un-thought-through design is a lot easier to defend then unfinished, rushed or buggy design.

Not as much as you think. The outlay to attain the profit is valued highly because cash on hand conveys flexibility.

To take your analogy, the institutions that hold the vast majority of ATVI stock will value making 10 bucks off 20 dollars much more highly than making 1000 off 2500. Sure, the return was far bigger, but in a publically traded setting at this size, the cash on hand has major value for horizontal flexibility through out the entire company and tying it up making 5 dollars per every dollar outlayed vs. 10 is not super appealing. It’s generally referred to as maximizing returns.

Sure some do. But most only have one or the other. Apple has solid internal, but rather poor external (did you really want apple tv plus to watch Oprah???)
Google, I already explained. GM has neither.

It comes down to how you define great and applying those terms to publically held companies.

1 Like

They should make WoW 2 and remove all those bad choice and start anew.

yeah lol were just the ones providing the money to make those checks good why bother keeping us happy

Can I ask where that was at they admitted that it’s something I’ve been saying for a long time

Well there is a saying, never attribute to malice that which is better explained by incompetence or stupidity.

I recommend this old review video by Zero Punctuation. If you replace Daikatana with WoW, and John Romero with Ion Hazzikostas and shareholders, it paints a pretty telling picture of the development decisions that have been affecting WoW since the end of MoP. Look for keyword “hubris” and the resulting development ideas that are born from it and that surround it.

My opinion: Really bad leadership. And that has been a problem for many years.
Too many entrenched nerdy guys at the top, too much power given to detail people and not enough to big picture people. Too much cronyism.

3 Likes

But think about it: An MMO is set in a world and, as such, it CAN have something for every type of player. WoW could absolutely appeal to almost every kind of gamer imaginable…but there are no shortcuts to doing that.

That’s where Blizzard blew it.

You can’t appeal to all kinds of people while making less content. You have to make big, complex worlds with many tracks of progression for many play-styles. Instead Blizzard has made smaller worlds with less feeling of meaningful progression for almost everyone. They are, in short, trying to have their many cakes and eat them, too. That can’t work.

Blizzard used to at least come within sight of being an MMO that had something for lots of different kinds of players. But they didn’t have the vision to really go for it.

Their abandoned MMO sounded like an attempt to go there. It’s really tragic that Blizzard failed with it.

1 Like

I agree to a point. I still think you encourage people through the lore and story to WANT to do harder content. Legion’s mage tower was a solid example, but that expac had lore for days.

I was never a bleeding edge raider, but I wanted to get my attunements in BC. It was worth it to me.

Hate to say it but forums are not a good place to make changes to the game. Forum goers are a very minority crowd and are just the very vocal few who have very strong opinions one way or another. I’m not sure how many millions of WoW players there are currently but I’m sure forum goers number in the hundreds (have no idea how many subscribers post but I know it’s a fraction of the subs).

With all that said. I am a casual WoW player who still enjoys the game and will have fun with whatever they decide. At the very least all of the quality of life changes through the years (starting with classic) have been welcomed.

Well they have been ignoring forums since WoD. But ignoring class discords and wow reddit is a recent phenomena that has happened in BFA. Which I find odd as you would think they would try to create more community outreach initiatives via class discords and wow reddit.

Golden yak was working on class feedback for wow reddit and class discords. But who will pick up where he left off and finish his work?

We know communication from dev team to community is poor. But what is even more worse is the communication from one dev to another dev is also poor.

When everyone goes in shell mode it feels like everyone has given up two way dialogue.

Why does the developer team make the choices that they make?
It mostly comes down to fulfilling one or both of the present Blizzard team’s overriding aims:

• increase the time players spend online and
  • increase token sales.

Player enjoyment is no longer relevant, as they consider us to be either addicted or disposable. After all, they can always milk the remainder of the herd harder to make up for the loss, can’t they?

2 Likes

You get a C. One answer is correct. One is sort of correct

Yea all my friends left because of flying… /laugh… how about boring classes and a poor progression system in both pve and pvp.

One word accurately sums up Blizzard and many of their problems, “hubris”.

1 Like

Yep. I feel like they’re trying to tell players how to play the game instead of just letting us do our own thing. It’s really frustrating and makes me not want to play. I don’t like being told that I’m playing the game the wrong way.

6 Likes

Since the start of WoD, the general feel of the game has been “love it or leave it.” Kind of funny how that seems to lead more to choose the latter.

3 Likes

[1] the forums are NOT the majority of the player base. The forums are 1% of the playerbase – the most unhappy 1% of players.

[2] Blizzard cares more about NEW players (who are not in the game yet) than veterans, because veterans quit every year - 20% or more. To stay alive Blizzard has to attract NEW players.

[3] The writers are NOT the devs. Different team.

[4] The flying decision was NOT the devs. It was top execs at Blizzard, making a business decision.

[5] Class balance is a myth. How do you balance 36 classes against 35 others, in every situation: pvp, raiding, whatever. No matter how you list them, someone is last.

[6] Devs treat all 36 classes and 2 factions as equally important. Most players have a main, and care more about ONE class, ONE faction.

[7] Clearly they make some decisions YOU dislike, since they aren’t YOU.

3 Likes

This pretty much sums it up. Opinions that suddenly become what “most” of the playerbase wants.

1 Like