Why do you play the meta?

Why is it important for you to play the meta in a 15 year old game?

Curious about the real reasons behind this gravity of the meta for so many players. I am no judging you, I don’t personally understand it and really want to know why you do it.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I don’t play them but I imagine it’s a combo of peer pressure and sim sheet calculators…

2 Likes

despite the fact that i am in fact a dwarf priest, i am not because of the meta it’s because i can’t play a gnome priest and i get to live next to the sexy female gnomes

1 Like

I always try and play the most under-represented class—the meta is for the birds.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

CLEARLY its a cheap shot right? I mean, I don’t have Judgment, I do have garrote and shiv tho.

1 Like

im competitive in everything in life. its fun to win when I go play hockey or baseball or football. its fun to win in chess, its fun to win in video games in the same way

1 Like

Some people like to play numbers, some like to play the game.

1 Like

i dont. i played a warlock in original classic and tbc, so i play a warlock now. unfortunately every tryhard clown does so now too.

It’s fun to win your own way rather than doing everything according to somebody else’s guide.

2 Likes

Following the meta is a pursuit to be the best or to beat the game in the most optimal way.

You’ll typically hear players boast about how fast they cleared the content. This is the meta personified.

Doing the content doesn’t matter. It’s only cool and interesting or worth doing if done in a way that satisfies the meta. Meta gamers assume everyone else is wearing identical gear to them because it’s the meta, the game isn’t about enjoying the game for any particular MMORPG element, the game is to outperform everyone else and be able to post it to discord showing your stuff on warcraft logs.

When blizzard began catering the game to non MMORPG players and introducing massive QoL game killing changes, they adopted this new game and it’s values which became doing the content in the most optimal way possible so you can make a top ten list.

MMORPG elements and features have all been gutted and removed because they’re deemed irrelevant to the players that want to raid log.

3 Likes

This is a popular answer. There’s something fulfilling for people about being optimized and being competitive. Performing and pushing yourself.

It’s not for everyone.

I don’t lol. Don’t mind me Bloodthirsting my way through mediocrity

Elitists have an obsession with being the first or best to do something. They then claim this brings them enjoyment but in reality they are always stressed out or angry, which is kind of the opposite of what a game should be doing for you. A long time ago I used to fall into that trap as well, then realized I wasn’t really happy until I gave it up and just started playing games casually. Now whenever someone wants to brag about their meaningless digital achievements in a video game; I just shrug.

4 Likes

The MMO component of this game is not what modern gamers think is the ‘fun’ part, is my guess

1 Like

Ppl are sheep. Do you need more of an example as the current year we’re living in.

I agree, i just never get the point in refercing the age of the game…would it be different if we were doing the meta on a brand new game instead of the fun way?

There are two types of player: Those who feel the journey is more important than the destination, and those who feel the destination is more important than the journey. The latter category are the people who follow the meta so that they can reach their goals as quickly and with as little work as possible. Neither way is really wrong, but they are different enough that both sides have trouble understanding the other’s point of view.

Bro tell me you don’t play hockey come on all this whining on the forums you’re making hockey players look bad. Resub right now and reroll alliance like the player I know you can be.

1 Like

Gaming is nowhere near as niche as it was in the 90s and early 2000s. With social media identity and easy ways to instantaneously spread information, the competitive types can easily plot a course for their particular game style, the “meta” as you called it.

Add in peer pressure for the younger players, as well as a direct link between real lives and “gaming lives,” and your question becomes fairly obvious to answer.

As others have stated, there is still an immersive world for players such as yourself. In my case, I switched to a medium sized RP server and it’s much better for me.

2 Likes