Why do people treat tanks so poorly when there are so few of them?

I don’t understand this mentality of treating tanks poorly when it’s obvious there are so few when I look at any tier of content.

Leveling? Tanks are needed.

Mythic+? Tanks are needed.

Raids that aren’t with statics? Tanks are needed.

[And speaking of statics, they seem to have the most difficult time recruiting a tank too initially.]

Yet people abuse them like crazy when they are a DPS sitting in a like 20 minute or longer queue lol…

WHY? Wouldn’t you want to keep that person who is even willing to play such a hated role (that you’re obviously not playing queueing in as a DPS btw)?

20 Likes

Pretty sure I can level alone lol.

Don’t pug.

Yeah, they aren’t pugs.

1 Like

I usually see healers treated worse than tanks.

Despite while leveling a few characters over the last few weeks WITH a Tank and having to wait for healers to join queue.

I havent seen healers so in demand since Cata

13 Likes

And we are in trouble in sl because now everyones a tank spec.

I got called a dumb*** today in a run because I pulled the boss while this DPS got caught up in a prior mechanic.

I knew the DPS player would get there in time for the boss. We were already crushing through the dungeon. I didn’t want to drop the tempo.

But you know what? Who cares. We timed the key. I think people just look for someone to blame. Don’t take it too personally. I don’t.

4 Likes

Meh, tanks are quite douchey to DPS themselves occasionally. I still remember one time in Wrath. Right after LFG. I was tanking a daily random, and I had someone genuinely thank me over and over just for not being a Dbag. Like he was a complete noob Wrathbaby, and his only experience was some tank calling him names because he was completely new to the game and didn’t know what he was doing.

It’s a cycle of abuse between tanks and DPS, and it will most likely never end.

9 Likes

Honestly tanks aren’t angels either. Everyone is an a hole. And I say ti as someone who tanks too.

In fact I see people mostly trashing DPS for no reason.

7 Likes

Can you explain what you mean?

because the kids gotta go fast like sonic, no one has patience anymore gotta get to lvl 120 asap so i can afk in stormwind

10 Likes

I think its a pretty common misconception that there aren’t a lot of tanks. It’s just that there are WAY more impatient dps.

The tanking role is a lot of pressure and not a lot of players respect that.

It’s just something that comes with the job though. It takes some one capable of admitting fault and knowing when they can make a big play to carry the group.

3 Likes

Because for too many players, their fellow players are just bots that should play perfectly for the sake of their single player experience. So if they are not good enough, they are seen as “defective”

PS: That does not include people who cannot manage their sanity levels against Nzoth (or at the very least jump off the ledge to avoid becoming an extra mob to kill), these guys should reconsider their choice of games

6 Likes

“Me dps. Me smash. U meat wall. Me pull and make u more meat wall. Me die it u fault 4 no meat wall.”

How I imagine every hunter in leveling dungeons :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

huh?

First, some people do, most don’t. There are bad apples in every game. There are plenty of tanks that fall in that category as well. Have had plenty of tanks troll groups and gleefully ruin content for other players. Had tanks join keys only for them to start and then AFK. Had a tank start the cast on the obelisks in a key and then cancel at the end to wipe the entire party. They laughed and left.

Also, are people really this delicate? People can be mean. Who cares… That’s life.

What???

People that tank enjoy it. I enjoy tanking. I also enjoy healing. If people are being rude, you can leave or report them or put them on ignore or just keep doing what you’re doing.

Hated role? What even is this?

I agree,I ran in to several,
I asked do you know what to do? “yeah,we got this” runs in wipes,rez,
I asked do you know what you’re doing ? “Yes, I did this before” runs in dies again even with heals.
I asked,you know how to tank this right? “Of course ,I do we have this” runs in wipes and wipes us.then leaves.
Yeah,holes we do have.

1 Like

Game is soloable until its not, people can’t into social situations in the year 2020.

1 Like

you know the best part of being the healer or tank? you can leave a group being rude to you and easily find another group

5 Likes

Out of curiosity, how long do you typically hold a grudge?

9 Likes

I still hold grudges from vanilla. Horde were mean to me. Purge them all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Truth is, DPS sometimes have way more pressure, because they HAVE to get those numbers up or they will be kicked and easily replaced.

I don’t think tank is unpopular because of people, but because the role itself is stressful as you have to lead the dungeon.

1 Like

I always see M+ players talk about the lack of tanks. Is that not the case?