Why do people hate on fury warrior?

I’m not talking about how people don’t want to play with fury, I get the reasons why they would prefer others play with arms; however I’m talking about when people ask for fury changes to make them good in PvP, others poo-poo on the idea.

You see people say things like, “I hope fury pvp stays dead” or “good, there’s no reason for it to do good in PvP”.

Why is that? What is it about fury warrior that makes people want to keep it low on the totem pole?

5 Likes

@ me next time :rage:

Fury warrior feels like DH. No one likes DH.

4 Likes

answering for myself, fury’s damage model is high sustained damage with among the least impactful burst in the game. it has only 1 real defensive cooldown that isn’t very strong. this means that for it to be good in the pvp meta, at least one of two things has to happen:

1. fury has to be tanky enough at a baseline to be able to go toe to toe with the pressure of most 3s comps, since its only niche is slamming dps every gcd and it has to be in melee range ignoring damage to do that.
  2. alternately, fury has to do so much damage that it can limp through games spending its team’s defensive cds doing unhealable damage with no downtime.

whenever either of these things is true of any spec in the game, it makes the game less fun for me to play. that’s why i’m glad it has no representation rn

2 Likes

Exactly, when you buff Fury, you get BfA DH as a result.

By the way, I started arena during BfA as a Fury Warrior and got 1800 at my first season. You just endlessly spam keyboard buttons, boring. Doing 1v2 with selfhealing was enjoyable despite that, something that Arms lacks.

1 Like

So the fear is they would have high sustained and can’t die like bfa DH?

They don’t need those things and instead just some small fixes would change it quite a bit. For one, bloodyhirst goes back to 5% instead of 3%. Would help a bit, but not a ton…

And then instead of MS like arms (that would be an easy fix) they could make rampage knock down the opponent for 0.5 seconds or something.

I dunno, it would be nice to have fury be taken seriously for once and I doubt they’d be crazy like DH. Dh had crazy healing, evasion, and way more tools to stay on someone with more cc than a fury war ever had.

the only way fury breaks into the meta without exactly that happening is an ancient mistweaver arts-style pvp talent that completely revamps how it plays, which i don’t see happening

Fury is good in certain rated bgs. With stampeding roar and triple leap legendary they can nab the middle flag in deepwind gorge very fast.

it’s considered the frost dk/assa rogue of warrior

i hope you can see how that kind of change would pretty unambiguously push things back towards bfa fury, exactly as described

this makes me think you’re not much of a pvp junkie, because this kind of change on every single rampage would make the spec obnoxious beyond belief

buddy it really doesn’t seem like your grip on things here justifies your personal doubts meaning jack or squat
for one, i avoided the dh comparison for the exact reason that lacking those specific tools doesn’t mean fury’s personal tankyness with 100% uptime wasn’t frustrating as all hell; it DID have crazy healing, and it emancipated itself every single bloodthirst to be WAY better at staying on someone than a dh ever had. blade dance dodge and personal mobility in VR/FR are the only things dh had over fury last season, and fury made up that gap by just being completely capable of ignoring damage that dh would’ve kited/evaded with both of them.

This.
By design, some specs simply do not fit into PvP in a healthy way. Fury is one of them.

The last thing we need in PvP right now is another spec that gets rewarded for mindless zuggery.

1 Like

to me, it used to be the ridiculous amount of passive self healing for the amount of damage they did.

ah man i thought you’d be excited about the destro buffs

I try to always argue that everyone, despite their spec should have a space in arenas, bg, m+, raid, whatever. It’s up to blizzard to balance, and players to choose what they want to play, not based on its’ strength but by it’s play style.

That said…

Does warrior really need two specs that you can use to pve to duelist with?

1 Like

Yes because the bad one is the cool one :sunglasses:

I mean these are really bad excuses for laziness of the designers. No class should lack. If it’s issues are what you say the spec just needs a good revamp that support the fantasy a bit thats all. Do shouty things. Do duel wieldy things. Do vein popping things. You could give furys fear shout a real short cd with a shorter duration. You could give like a cone shout knockdown/back. Throw your offhand at someones head for a blind effect. I’m just spit balling but the issue isn’t “fury” it’s the designers lack of attention.

On another note, I came back a few weeks before SL and haven’t played since cata. They did a lot for a lot of classes since I played that was meme worthy back then(boomkin, ret, fire werer always dumpster fire; hunter ele enh destro were hard ups and downs, downs being the majority of the xpac) Now most of those classes I named are top tiers or very viable. Next xpac they are buffing arcane and other specs that were out of the meta this season. If they are doing that they can surely redesign fury. I was just telling my fam the other day how I’d love to play a fury dwarf warrior but alas I never will because I am a pvper and I don’t wanna be a meme.

edit: Also how cool would it be if fury had some awesome melee retaliation moves? Since they are duel wielding enraged gladiators sort of, they should be able to punish other melees for training them so hard since that’s who can pressure fury hard.

2 Likes

TBH I wouldn’t call it laziness, it’s more by deliberate design that there are some specs that are plain simple… And having some specs that are really simple by design is great for bringing a wider variety of players to the game, but if you make the simpleton specs competitive in PvP, it devalues PvP. Can look at BFA DH for a case study exemplifying this (obviously there were other issues with BFA, this is just the most relevant example).

Destro is almost as oppressive as current iteration Arms Warrior. Why would I be excited about that?

1 Like

gotta admit a 5 second duration on the new ms intrigues me. they may well have done the impossible and made fury fun. time will tell if it’s too tanky for uptime denial to be enough counterplay next patch

There is no good reason to hate Fury.

It’s thematically far superior to Arms.

It’s current design is bad, because it lacks defense and utility, but this could easily be fixed next patch.

I like DH :cry: