Why do people fear level squish? [Discussion]

Thats a wonderful opinion you have. And thats why you are in classic. I find the old systems terrible and dont want them anywhere near live.

You can keep your old required to raid builds and having to run back to the capital city every other level.

Ill keep what i have, besides this is kind ig derailing the point of this thread. Which is a level squish for live.

1 Like

Here is the thing tho… why would leveling speed have to remain the same? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why they could not reduce that too.

Instead of a squish i would suggest they just let us start at 60, then they can revamp the classic zones for upcoming endgame(it would help get people back out in the world.) (Seeing as we have classic for that 1-60 feel now)
We wouldn’t have to worry about the squish breaking the scaling of the world worse what it has already been broken in the past squishes. just fix the talents and skills to start there at 60 and bam! closer talents and skills wile leveling without a broken world as a result and less levels to mindlessly grind.
Would love to hear what’s your thoughts on this ideal

Edit: i made this in to its own topic so it doesn’t spiral this topic off in to a tangent.

1 Like

Because if they do a level squish but don’t squish the xp then there’s no difference at all, except the little number under your character portrait. The other side is I don’t trust blizzard to do a level squish without messing up scaling everywhere, and making it impossible to farm old world content.

So if there isn’t a major pay off for the squish, and all it does is make some people feel better about leveling then the negatives possibilities far outweigh the positive.

1 Like

[quote=“Felsavior-zuljin, post:143, topic:335219, full:true”]

Certain builds are required to raid at the highest tier in the live game, too. Or do you think people don’t go and optimize their gear, and get the BIS essences, and all of that? The highest tier will always have a meta that is the ‘accepted’ way to do things. And that meta only matters if you are going to try for the highest tier raiding guilds.

It was the same back then, too. If your guild was raiding, then they took the 40 they had who were leveled and attuned, and worked with it. You didn’t need to have a certain build unless you were going hardest of the hardcore.

1 Like

No:

The dps squish broke the game for weeks. If they do a level squish I 100% guarantee that they will break the game to an extent it is unfixable.

6 Likes

If they squish it won’t make it 1 month before people scream “leveling takes so much longer now!”

Could it be done properly? I don’t know. The problem we have seen in the past with talents is, Blizzard will take a decent ability from a class and add it as a talent selection that competes with a current talent that is already used on the same tier. Then they turn to us and say “Look! We added a new talent!”. I don’t like it.

The whole system needs a redesign. We do not need 51+ talents to choose from like in classic, but we do need to gain something as we level in a new expansion.

2 Likes

Because as many folks have said. Just squishing stuff doesn’t solve the problems caused by the multiple prunes and shift of abilities from being class based to spec based.

And you know as much as I do that Blizzard isn’t going to squish, revamp talents, unprune and revamp leveling. We will get a halfassed squish, much like the two stat squishes that still have bugs to this day. Do you seriously not remember the two stat squishes where they literally just squished stuff without testing things, without tweaking things to fit the new format, etc…? A squish if done properly likely wouldn’t be a huge deal, but it wouldn’t be done properly. It’d be a buggy mess that’ll break the game into a laughably bleak state. Whereas also, the things that would fix the entire issue with leveling feeling empty due to the huge gap of no abilities(unpruning, revamped talents, moving of stuff back to class based instead of spec based) would be immensely easier to do opposed to changing code for every item, every dungeon, every raid, every mount, every toy, every recipe, every quest, basically, EVERYTHING.

On the off chance that Blizzard is considering unpruning stuff, revamping talents, etc… Then that stuff solves the crux of the issue almost entirely and a squish is 100% irrelevant and not needed.

I still fail to see why high levels are scary to you people. And Blizzard is dumb to even consider squishing us down to 60/70/whatever. No MMO should ever make your progression go BACKWARDS. But I guess too, a lot of you people don’t care about MMORPG’s so levels don’t mean jack. Yea, some MMO’s don’t level past a certain cap, even with new expansions/content. But those MMO’s were designed that way from the start. WoW is a MMO built upon the principal of gaining levels each expansion. And despite 120 levels apparently being scary for some of you people, there are other MMO’s that do well that have vastly more levels.

He gets it.

5 Likes

Because I would much rather see them invest the time in making changes that would improve the game (vs changing something that’s truly only a visual change, if the time to level, the time between talent points, etc. doesn’t change that is), or at least take some of the things they have learned from the Classic launch (why did so many people go back to Classic, why do they like it?).

Examples:

• talent trees (vs what we have today)
  • no cross realms
  • no LFD
  • no LFR
  • etc.
1 Like

A level squish would not bother me as it would some other people. I just want each level to offer something, be it a skill, skill rank upgrade, passive or something that makes like each level you gain makes you feel as though you are getting stronger, and the feel of progression is there. At least more so than there is now. By that I mean to a certain point, we don’t gain new skills, skill ranks and so on (I think its level 80, going off the top of my head), and with the talents it only goes up to level 100.

So the levels 101-120 don’t offer anything else apart from stats, ilvl, gear and numbers going higher. Not that it is a problem in my opinion, but I don’t feel like I progress at all except for furthering the story. If more skills, skill ranks, passives, talents and so on were added than there is now to help with the feeling of progression, then I would be fine with how things are. If it was done right anyways.

Simply squishing the levels, or keeping them as they are but adding more to it can sound nice if you word it right potentially. If nothing is done then I don’t believe adding more levels would even matter in my opinion. Doing a level squish would at least offer something at each level I would assume. However in the end, be it there be a level squish, or things stay the way they are now with more levels being added (hopefully more skills and such being added as well) neither would matter if it was not done and implemented properly.

People do not fear it, people point out what you just said. It is a pointless change pushing anti-progression and would require an astronomical amount of work to implement that could be spent on other things.

2 Likes

I don’t. Especially given that they have already specifically said they want to go backwards with pruning and revamp old world content…also given that every other expansion seems to be a major content changer this would be the expansion to hit it.

It’s really your word against the development team’s and sorry but I have to take theirs.

1 Like

I personally don’t trust Blizzard to do it without screwing up 100+ things in the process. If they do screw things up instead of them focusing on 9.X content they will be trying to fix the broken stuff. I remember all the stuff that was broken when the Legion stat squish hit the PTR here is a small list of things that I found broken.

• Kael’thas Sunstrider’s in Tempest Keep basic fireball ability hitting me for 2-3 times my max health at 110. I had about 30-40k and he was hitting me for 100-150k
    (note: This is his main ability so there was no way to spam interrupt him)

• The trash before Kael’thas had abilies taking most of my health and had to be dealt with quickly

• That icy fog in ICC could kill me if I stayed in it for a few seconds which it could not in live

• The drake’s shadow breath before Ultraxion in Dragonsoul would kill me in a few seconds if I stayed in it to long when I can dance in it all day in live.

These are just some of the examples I found. Since the legacy damage buff was not active for part of the PTR I spent that time just going to random raids/dungeons and letting NPCs whack me for a few minutes to find anything unusual. The examples above were simple number fixes but a level squish is far more detailed and many more things could go wrong.

3 Likes

So you want all the casuals to quit and the game to go the way of wildstar? K.

4 Likes

Yes, yes I do! And of course there’s NO ONE playing Classic either, amirite?

They admitted they took pruning and the spec over class thematic too far. But they have said nothing on revamping old world content or talents.

But my entire point is that a squish by itself solves literally nothing, unless those other steps are taken. But if those other steps are taken, the squish itself becomes completely pointless because we will have more abilities, revamped talents, etc… to fill in the larger gaps during the later levels.

Once again though, that concept seems to go over your head.

2 Likes

Retail supports classic not the other way round.

Because Blizzard doesn’t have a stellar track record when it comes to these kind of things. They have done similar squishes in the past (related to ilvl and stats) that had issues and even today there are still some glaring issues with level scaling around the world. So I don’t think having some concern about having to rebalance not just the class but the entire game world is unjustified.

4 Likes

Its just my opinion, which is what this thread is about. I feel like 100 is a nice, good number that means something, that feels like a goal was reached. 110, 120, etc feel meaningless to me. They dont feel like a goal was reached, but an arbitrary number. Your first level 100 pokemon was a goal, but at this point, they could have raised it to 180 (i think we are on 8th gen) whats the point of 180? Why 180 when 100 works just as well?

There are other games who make 100 the cap, too, it just makes more sense.

Artifical leveling can feel rewarding, too. When i first got my artifact weapon maxed for the first time, i felt like i earned something. It felt rewarding. But the leveling into the passive after that felt a bit short.
It was a rewarding feeling bfa lacked. Artifical levels could unlock new talents, abilities, spells. Many games do artifical levels and dont have a problem.

And to ask a question back … if you feel like 130 means something…why would you want to be squished back down? Those 70 levels just flew out the window. Thats 7 whole expansions worth of levels that just got nuked. Why is at a good thing? Just so you can keep the ten levels per expansion? No, i donf like that.