Why do people fear level squish? [Discussion]

I assume they will squish and reduce the time it takes to level.

its tedious now not because of numbers, but because its too long.

They would… cant imagine being level 60 killing 120 monsters, lol.

or they need to see what they pick up as they level to go its not the leveling that sucks…its the talents and casts lol.

Paladin and S. priest for me nothing would fix how barren for fun they were in this squish. As by and large their rotations were “done” at char creation. They were ARs so level 20 start.

Since paladin new to me I went to icy veins. And to really simplify life…Prot paladin. So many CD’s…makes rotation easy. Pick the one NOT on CD.

Easy dps guides I like to start with and add more once settled in. The LFD paladin had most of the rotation…done. I hadn’t even left the damn vindicaar and was basically done lol.

S. priest was basically the same since a VE start. think I picked 1-2 nice things on the road to 40. After that…yep, it takes 120 to get better gear to fix them up as the rotations was all right there.

Because every time they do something like this, it messes up old content farming.

7 Likes

I started thinking about this, and the time I defended No Flying back when WoD hadn’t been released yet. I was imagining this cool Dark Souls experience where you try to make headway through a hostile world, and as you go you gradually gain the ability to utilize shortcuts to get around faster. I imagined a game that deserved not to be trivialized by pulling a gryphon out of your butt and skipping over it. Boy was my face red when WoD actually came out and it was garbage that ABSOLUTELY deserved the gryphon skip.

1 Like

No it didn’t work like that, when Stat increase and spell multipliers were directly tied to talents you had to get those specific talents just to even compete.

The problems with leveling aren’t due to how many levels we have.

The problems with leveling are entirely a result of each class going through 2-3 prunes with the added effect of some class thematic abilities being moved to a spec for this “spec fantasy” gibberish.

That is why the later half of the levels feel bad. Because almost everything we gained in those levels was removed, or put into a talent or moved to be a spec ability instead of class ability.

Unprune. Revamp the talent tree. That’ll solve almost every single issue.

I find this kind’ve backwards logic. I’d argue people who want the level squish lack any sense of basic MMO design. Whereas, you gain levels. Who woulda thunk it.

But the short version is that a squish by itself solves absolutely nothing. And the things that would fix the problem are vastly easier to achieve without worrying about a squish.

Besides, we legit still have bugs left over from the very first stat squish. We don’t need a level squish. If the key things causing issues aren’t touched, a squish solves absolutely nothing. And if you like being level 60, just go play Classic.

It’s downright asinine to go back to a level we were over a decade ago. The psychological loss of progression that would ensue is staggering. Yea, a lot of us are attached to our levels. It shows the games age. I don’t understand why people are afraid of 120 or more levels. Especially when people think just squishing levels will fix our issues.

9 Likes

I no longer trust this dev team to be competent, period.
They’ve consistently screwed up Azerite, first gear, now essences.
They botched the stat squish on multiple fronts.
I have no interest in seeing the new and exciting ways they’ll bork a level squish.

4 Likes

true… but it always gets fixed.

i remember the mana wyrm overlords in the BE starting area.

Bull. There were multiple ways to be effective. Sure, people on the highest end all did the same thing, because they’re being hypercompetitive and substitute damage meters for pen1s size. But you could play any way you wanted. There were plenty of guilds, even raiding guilds, that didn’t try to go balls to the wall hardcore. Find a guild that is right for you.

Yeah that’s pretty much all it boils down to. Problems clearing old content, weird scaling issues, the level squish being just a number and not solving any real issues as it pertains to gaining abilities and new talents, health pools, etc. etc. etc. Making me level 60 instead of 125 or 130 doesn’t solve all the problems the game has, not even close.

4 Likes

For me personally, big numbers > small numbers.

I like habjng big numbers, for levels and damage and what not.

That being said 120 levels is daunting even for a veteran player so i wouldnt mind a level squish. But dont reduce my stats ): i miss the days of 2 mil dps being a thing.

Somd people said it’s because it “diminishes the work they put in” or something along those lines. Which i think makes no sense.

You can get to cap in 4 hours if you know what youre doing…

It doesn’t fix anything. It’s essentially just there to be an illusion.

Leveling speed, professions, and developing your character before cap: All of these are still the same, independent of a squish, despite being the core problems. If they decide to fix these at the same time, the squish isn’t what did it.

‘Buh 120 levels is too much’ it takes a week to cap, tops. If a three digit number scares you, that’s a you problem.

1 Like

120 levels is only daunting if you’re rushing for endgame, and because there are so many empty levels. If you went back to the system where each level had some small rewards, then you’re not thinking about 120, you’re thinking about where you’re spending your next talent point, or what spell ranks you can train next level.

1 Like

No i wont, ill be dreading having to go google the best build and figure out where that talent has to go to be viable, or dreading needing to go all the way back go org to learn 1 spell then go all the way back go where I was.

120 levels is just daunting period, doesnt matter if we tie in awful talent or skill systems.

Here’s the thing about the old talent trees. Unless you were an oomkin or a ret pally, it was easy to be viable in raids, regardless of spec. Sure, some things are ‘optimal’, but unless you’re going for the hardest of the hardcore guilds, you don’t need to be optimal to be viable.

And going back to the trainers might sound bad, but it really isn’t that onerous. If you’re doing anything with the Auction house, you’re going back to the cities regularly anyways.

That’s using boost, trained gear and ring of mara.

Something someone won’t be able to do on a fresh account.

I see this argument so much but it implies that all blizzard is going to do is tweak xp and numbers which hasn’t been said. Level squish could encompass many changes at the same time but everyone seems to write it off as 120 > 60 and call it a day.