Why do people fear level squish? [Discussion]

I would assume most people aren’t really AGAINST it in principle, since it literally changes nothing, if not for the fact it would actually take considerable dev time to get it right.

If they could just magic in the squish with no wasted dev time I doubt many people would care, since it literally doesn’t affect anything. As is, there are core gameplay systems that are broken and need that dev time that they don’t have to give, so why in the world would anyone want them to waste such a precious resource on something that amounts to literally nothing?

3 Likes

That’s a fair point. I would rather they put in the time and energy into fixing the cause of why people feel leveling is lackluster.

5 Likes

And let our characters go back to learning abilities, rather than putting our abilities on rental gear so they can take them and make us re-earn them each expac. The lack of new talents isn’t because new talents don’t exist, it’s because our gear is smarter than our toons these days.

3 Likes

I mean, this isn’t even a new problem. When they did the stat squish a few expansions back, they admitted it took way more dev time than expected and was a cause for a lack of polish elsewhere. And the stat squish actually had more of a purpose than this, even though they handled it so poorly that they’re already in need of another.

5 Likes

You can do BG as well, however, I tried it with my friend 25 and my 120 rogues, even with 400+ gear the sync made me sh*t and it limited my abilities A LOT (your abilities would be at level 25).
Not really worthy.

Imo, could be good if you are tank and you want help your friend to get instant queues.

Yeah it was originally supposed to be more extreme, but a ton of people were losing their minds about how they would feel weaker (it’s all relative as you know… but… people aren’t always rational) and now they are probably going to need to do it every 2-3 expansions unless they do a REAL one.

Yeah I find that sense of progression the trees granted you to be boring. Improving the current talent system and introducing more talents would be far better. Would you rather get access to a cool viable new ability/ make an ability work in a cooler way or would you rather a single spell do like 3% more damage?

Yes, because there’s a definite lack of compression the way it is now. 15 levels to get one talent. You stop getting talents 10 levels before you cap. Compression is needed at this point, if you go back and play classic it’s kind of weird because you’re like “I’m only 26” but that’s literally almost half way through the game (just in numbers not necessarily in time), where currently it would be between 1/5th and 1/6th. It might actually be faster to get all those extra levels, but that brings up another issue, when you fly by too fast your gear can be obsolete within the hour. I’ve leveled quite a bit in this expansion and I’m not too mad at it, but a revamp would be welcome. Not sure whether being able to skip entire expansions is necessary at this point or doing it wrong, to be honest.

If they drop it to 60 and give you something, a spell or a talent upgrade, every or every other level, say, that should satisfy a lot of people.

We could go a long time before needing another squish. The first squish was because the game couldn’t handle numbers above 2 billion. Now they can handle numbers up to 9 quadrillion. I say let the numbers keep rising instead of squishing every other expansion.

1 Like

No

When has Blizzard ever executed a squish that went off well? Talent squish? No thanks. Stat squish? Omg, we had two - one right after another. Ability squish? I was so sad when all my abilities got resold to me, then the next time they got metered out to me in the form of an AP grind.

So no, I don’t like the idea of a squish.

4 Likes

That was part of the problem, but by far the biggest problem was how poorly this team handled itemization. They screwed up by having so many different difficulties that you had to have a huge ilvl jump every raid tier, or else topend raid loot was way too close to entry level. This is compounded by their weird fetish that new raids have to make old ones completely pointless, and it spirals out of control fast.

Run this over an expansion and you waste so much breathing room that the system was supposed to create. They still haven’t really understood this it seems.

3 Likes

Eh I personally think numbers that large look silly, but admit that is more of a personal preference thing.

1 Like

What is wrong with going down more than one tree? Some people will pick one style. Some will pick another that fits their play style, or their version of class fantasy. Talent trees enable people to pick and choose and build their character their way, rather than being forced into cookie cutter builds. And builds that were thought to be meme-worthy sometimes come out to be pretty good, in the right hands, with the right gear, which inspires people to try new and different things.

One of the major problems with leveling is the class design, making everything homogenized and the same. Level squish does nothing to fix that, and, in fact, makes it worse in some regards. Take 10 rogues of the same basic spec in BFA, and they’ll all be exactly the same, with minor differences because of RNG loot. Take 10 rogues in Wrath that are mostly in the same spec, and you can have 10 different builds, with each person going with what best fits their play style.

You can already skip a couple expansions. You can choose to level through Outland or Northrend and you can choose between Cata or Pandaria.

1 Like

You’re the one asking for 60 minutes to be called an hour. It works out to be the same thing and IS A LOT OF WORK THAT COULD BE SPENT MAKING MORE CONTENT INSTEAD OF MAKING PEOPLE FEEL BETTER ABOUT A NUMBER THAT DOESN’T MEAN MUCH ANYTHING IF IT ISN’T THE MAX.

Sorry, keyboard malFunction.

: )

3 Likes

I don’t really want to see 10+ digit crits flying around, my entire screen would be numbers when I starfall. It already kind of is, and I’m just doing thousands.

1 Like

A level squish is necessary to make leveling rewarding again.

If Blizzard don’t increase class complexity past their Cata/MoP peaks, eventually we’re just going to get to the point where you can go literally dozens of levels without getting anything beyond a talent or two.

Any systems of progression they introduce, like Artifacts and HoA are rendered completely irrelevant at the expansions end, and then when you go through that content on additional characters, you’re getting literally nothing permanent that progresses your character, like talents or new abilities would give.

Improving the talent system pretty much requires a level squish though. The main point of the argument that we’ve seen, even from Blizzard themselves, is that there’s simply too many levels to make leveling feel noteworthy in terms of abilities or talents gained.

They’re not just gunna keep the current talent system and make you get a talent every 5 levels instead of 15. Not without ripping out a significant amount of what already exists in your class as baseline and putting it on talents (like they did with Haunt and Demon Soul for Warlocks).

Yeah it just looks… absurd to me. I know they are just numbers but You do eleventybilliondamage! is just… meh to me.

1 Like

I’m aware of that, I was just postulating that I’m not sure it’s a healthy necessity, or if it just muddies progression. I guess I could’ve made that clearer, sorry.

1 Like

Anything that is done in addition to the squish could be done more easily without having to also deal with problems caused by the squish.

2 Likes