Why do people defend pathfinder?

I would add:

6/10/2015
Blizzard changes mind - will return flight
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/10/8761289/world-of-warcraft-warlords-of-draenor-flying-update-mmo-pc-mac-blizzard; Dev Water Cooler announcement on Blizzard website reveals Pathfinder Achievement without details or release date.

During that 19 day interval, servers emptied, guilds folded, long-time veteran players left the game in droves. For the first time, Blizzard employees solicited, online, cancellation reasons from departing players. These forums were flooded with over 150,000 posts, hundreds of threads in protest.

That’s 19 days where nothing else happened.

Honestly, I think that flight is literally a visual scapegoat to some.

PvPers often claim flight killed world PvP because they would see a player fly by and think “Hmm, that would have been an HK.” Never mind that players rode by each other all the time on the ground, completely unseen, simply out of view of the player. Meanwhile it was intangible, unseen things like CRZ and the demise of the WorldDefense channel that killed off world PvP.

Same for player interaction. Someone sees a player fly by and thinks, “Hmm, flight kills social interaction.” Overlooking the fact that we all ride our ground mounts right past each other, day in and day out, without interacting at all. If you want to increase interaction, you have to do it in the design of the content as I mentioned with the earlier examples. Content provides the prompt for the interaction — “hey, can you help me with this elite quest?” or “does anyone know where the turnip vendor is or can sell me some?” Travel doesn’t lend it itself to such opportunities, content does.

6 Likes

It does feel like PF “Player Franchise,” is not a business model, Blizzard thinks is vialble.

They are happy to charge you for time to play in their MMORPG, but you WILL do certain content if you want certain features and rewards.

What you can do in the MMORPG is stricly governed, by what Blizzard says is appropriate. You WILL do THIS content, or you WON’T get THE best content, equipment, and features.

If you want certain content, and feature, flying, the best equipment, it is locked behind certain content, and dificulty levels.

Only now does it appear, Blizzard is finally opening up basic PF “Player Franchise” content. You can craft equipment, that should rival any of the, Instance Pinata rewards, you can get from the most difficult content.

Well that is my current perception of what is coming in Shadowlands. What will be the reality?

And then got incredibly hurt over our resistance to their stupid solution for the problem they created. Spitefinder…yeah, that fits.

5 Likes

Diablo IV Engine, here we come. :cry: :sob: I would rather the story become an Open world Single Player Campaign, with an option of accepting, or declining, other players, like you can do in Premade Group finder.

1 Like

Pathfinder does the opposite. There will never be a way all players get flight at the same time but Pathfinder widens the gap between those who have, those who work on it and those who just wont get it. So now it’s even worse.

1 Like

Well, no, it widens the time period when everyone is allowed to play the game on the ground as designed. Once Pathfinder drops, the uneven experience begins. And that uneven experience is fine once the world content isn’t as current.

1 Like

Again, I’m fine with Pathfinder for current content, but it should be unlocked for all once it becomes old content and a new expansion is out. This would fix the problem that will be introduced w/ the level squish.

1 Like

So this even worse gap is ok because it starts after a year? So much for welcoming returning/new players.
And not all content is old content where flying is now opened. It includes the new content as well.

They have 2 ways to do it,
no flying at all before SL Pathfinder or
flying in all old xpacs.

Well said all around.

2 Likes

You’re taking some things to an extreme. Flying is not an extreme. Some of those things would be welcomed like player housing.

We don’t know the numbers, and if Blizzard does they haven’t announced them. I can only go by what I see:

• Hundreds of people booting at Blizzcon
  • Popular streamers coming out against it, lots of likes on their videos
  • Lots of threads disliking Pathfinder, with lots of likes on it

Your opinion that’s fine, but you can’t disagree the content can be completed in less than half that time even for the most casual player. By disagreeing you are ok with forcing someone to stay grounded when there is no viable reason to let them fly. Even Ion’s said once all the content has been completed/explored is when they want to release flight. This can be done casually in 4 to 6 months. Also most people that are ok with Pathfinder think the “compromise” should be 4 to 6 months not a year.

3 Likes

It’s a common thing among anti flying people. They jump straight into “hur what if you could just instantly teleport everywhere” or “hur why not have a button that gives you BiS gear instantly”.

Such irrelevant and embarrassing “arguments”.

4 Likes

Isn’t that far fetched since the mentality of people to have flying the moment they hit max level is that of, gimme gimme gimme. They want something NOW instead of working for it. That’s why you get those comparisons.

Yes, refer to a mistake years ago, that will get their attention. And its pretty naive of you to say that the reason people are leaving is because of PF, its quite laughable. If anything it only highlights that you are among a minority of people that shouldn’t be appeased. Considering the amount of problems the game has; bland content, class design, class identity, gcd. And of all that you pick the one that has nothing to do with gameplay. I’m sorry but its really hard to take you seriously.

People who want flying right at max level just want flying back the way it was when wow was the most successful and fun. It has nothing to do with “working” for it. Such a silly thing to throw around. Working for it, lazy…we’re all sitting on our rear ends pressing buttons on a keyboard.

6 Likes

What buddy said above me. Working by typing, lol. Only this generation would equate work with WoW.

Make levelling 10x as long, and reward flying for max level. Make levelling actually take time, not stupid flying.

4 Likes

You might find it funny. I don’t. In 15 years I have never seen my guilds and friends lists as dark as they have been during the last two expansions. And they all left because of two main reasons:

1. Pathfinder
  2. lack of interesting content.

PS. I don’t care whether you “take me seriously.”

1 Like

Actually it used to take a fair amount of time to reach max level in the old days. Not counting marathon players, of course.

1 Like

This is honestly the most ridiculous justification of Pathfinder that PF supporters love to keep using.

What you do daily as content is not what everyone else does as daily content. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp.

And perhaps if WQ’s were actually interesting and new instead of the same old “kill 10 mobs and kill this 1 elite mob over there” then maybe you have a point. But no lmao. You’re literally running on the same old treadmill to unlock a basic core feature of the game.

5 Likes