Why do new players need to be handheld so much?

Not saying you won’t give your opinion, as it is yours and it’s your right to do so, but it loses all meaning in a context where you let everyone know you hate WoW gameplay.

Of course any new game is going to be better to you, since you don’t like WoW combat!
So, it becomes a moot point if that’s all you’re going to say.

You’d be bringing more to the discussion by talking about the topic itself.

This is wrong, don’t go there. You’re saying every game is a RPG with that poor definition.

In fairness I had the thought I may have misread him after I’d posted. In which case I apologize.

Though, depending, I wouldn’t say the map is easier to navigate. A lot of quality of life has come through in that regard, but content is also a lot denser these days.

There are reasons why ElvUI / Tukui are so popular. The interface blows. big chunks.

Your face is wrong.

A role-playing game (sometimes spelled roleplaying game , or abbreviated as RPG ) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making regarding character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.

Fun fact: Wikipedia’s page on RPGs mentions the word slow a grand total of 0 times.

Time to edit the Wikipedia page on RPGs and add the word slow lol jk :smiley:

1 Like

No worries at all! It looks like a lot of people got that idea from the post, initially.

I think part of the reason people find watching new players so… painful (for lack of a better word) is because we didn’t watch everyone’s learning curve online like we do now. Streaming is huge and we can watch complete strangers struggle rather than just me and my bestie hanging out and learning it together in person.

I think it may not be worse than it once was, but just exasperated by streaming and the never ending skill gap that continues to accrue the longer people play WoW. 20 years is a long time to get to know an interface and it feels like second nature to many of us. :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

1 Like

Browsing the comments in this thread cherry picking things that stand out.

People have less time to play now.

Well that’s subjective to all depending on responsibilities they must get done versus wants they wish to do . Point is I don’t think it’s valid across the board to be counted. Time is time it’s the same , it’s just how you allot, manage and spend it.

The game being so much bigger now than 20 years ago.

Very true. But it’s relative because the amount of aids outside the game has grown exponentially as well.

You can call up a YouTube search by quest name and chances are someone did a video walking you through it. There’s quest helper addons heck Zygor it’s ridiculously in its detail to the point it’s almost annoying with prompts like “walk into this building , select this option” and it shows the path on the map.

So there’s aids galore that the hand holding IN GAME is not needed.

Why does that matter ? Because player choice. That’s why. Let “me” decide if I want to figure things out a little more if I want to brain dead it I have the aforementioned options to use.

I’ve definitely made many UI adjustments to fit my needs. I don’t use an addon, but have customized it to make it feel like home to me. To be honest, if I had to deal with the base UI these days, it would slow me down a little too. Or at least it would be an annoyance lol.

I think new players feel that more than us. The clunkiness of the base UI is noticeable. Although, idk why people struggle even with prompts and flashing lights.

Maybe it’s because the game rushes you through the beginning stages rather than the person genuinely familiarizing themselves with the features and reading what everything does on their screen.

K bro. Tell me how many RPGs you finish in 2 hours.
Wikipedia is not the ultimate source of anything.

Again, that definition of a RPG game is as wrong as it gets.

I think it’s less a matter of “People are too stupid to understand the game and its interface” and more so “Person is overwhelmed, it’s a new thing, might take some time to learn everything”.

I missed a bunch of obvious things the eve online tutorial tried teaching me when I tried the new player experience as an established player, and thought “How could anyone miss this”. Then I had my mate try the game and they were absolutely lost.

I think it’s mostly a matter of people forgetting they are already familiar with all the jank the UI has, and small things like a flashing icon seems super obvious, but to someone new it’s very easy to miss something.

I truly could give less of a flying whistle what your opinion is on the definition of RPG. It’s not a 1 size fits all, don’t come crying to me because I don’t think or agree RPG should mean slow. It doesn’t.
If you don’t like wikipedia, here’s dictionary .com
a game in which participants adopt the roles of imaginary characters in an adventure under the direction of a Game Master.
Note how it doesn’t say slow, again.

Borderlands is the furthest thing from being slow and yet it is an RPG. You pick a class, level up and get gear upgrades. Try and tell me it isn’t an RPG.

Also you’re an absolute clown unit if you even want to entertain “Wikipedia isn’t a source”, it’s got nerds working day and night making sure articles are accurate, and you get banned for pushing false information. I also guarantee you that you yourself use wikipedia also, you just want to ignore it when it’s convenient for you.

The dumbest thing anyone can truly do is try and force their perspective on everything as truth. God that’s a joke.

“On-topic, it’s a fact that the latest generations are dumber overall due to instant gratification on everything thanks to widespread internet and conditioning from mobile access.”

This doesn’t seem like a particularly civil way to talk about an entire generation, and I challenge this “fact”. I don’t think it’s very productive to engage in this kind of generalization. The overall tone here just doesn’t meet the same standards I, myself, have been held to on the forums, and I invite you to reconsider.

2 Likes

Thottbot says hello

We need to tell ppl coffee is hot and power tools can be dangerous.

Ppl ate tide pods

Guess wow is no different

Duly noted, and yes, citation needed.

It’s just what I’ve personally seen: overall, newer generations are not as smart (not even the right word though. It’s more like they lack patience and resilience due to the easier environment).

And at the same time, smarter outliers are more frequent.

I’m sorry if it comes out as “not particularly civil”, because it’s really not, but it is what it is.
I’ll try to further soften the tone as not to aggravate more sensitive people.

yeah…and back then part of the ‘content’ was you having to figure out every piddling little detail that SHOULD have been in the instruction booklet, lol…not that blizzard hasnt figured out a way to see us to wowhead anyway to have to dig thru the comment section.

I played many of those old games…and they sucked when you didnt have the manual telling you some weird little twist that most normal players wouldnt be able to figure out right away…precisely why many of those games had 900 numbers you could call for hints at 50 cents a minute, lol

its called ‘end game’…and blizzard wants you there, not gallivantin all over old content for 6 months.
Its a brave, lazy new world. Catch up or get left behind.

Which rests directly at the feet of our circus show ‘education’ system as proven by so many countries on this rock that arent having the problem we are with our kids having short attention spans and having a harder time with critical thinking.

Cant blame the kids when the system that teaches them has gone on an extended 4 decade vacation.
What we all CAN do is help them figure it out if theyre here and want to play.
Or we can sit smuggly atop our high horse and remind them they cant keep up for lack of processing power.

The american education system is not the only education system there is. WoW is open to more than just the US. Not sure why you’d pin it on that.

Spending. 1/3 of my game time during quest progression on thottbot wasn’t good design…or engaging. You can argue until you’re blue in the face, but the less I need to bring in from the outside to play your game, the better it is. At least until a certain point where you can get that depth and complexity to chase challenge.

If I have to do hours of research before I can just crack open animal crossing, Pokémon, wow, overwatch, or whatever - then I’m going to pass on it. I’ll go play something I can open up and play.

If anything, the game does a horrendous job of telling us what is optimal and drowning out the noise. Logging in to veldrakken at max level you’re suddenly bombarded with weeks worth of quests and breadcrumb stories. I think it’s super easy for new player to waste time doing fryakks assaults for example.

Nothing tells a new 70 that will peak in LFR the optimal route to gearing so they can actually play the content they want. You just fumble around or come to the forums and get the answer you need. I JUST responded to one of these threads the other day to help someone define a gear path.

There should be a streamlined process for directing us to quests for story, gear, weeklies, etc. right now we only have 4 different quest indicators and they’re only used in current content and SL (one time quest, repeatable daily/weekly, the story quests, or the new triangle thingy). Before SL there are only 2 (yellow or blue exclamation point) I think. BFA may have used the story indicators I can’t remember - although mop remix has it so I dunno.

Anyway, it can be even better than it is now. We don’t need to turn this game into a chore for anyone who has never played.

This is one of the main reasons why magic the gathering has a rotation schedule. It keeps the game fresh, and allows it to attract new blood.

1 Like

Games are made for relaxation time. If games stress me out too much I go to one that doesn’t. I’m guessing others feel the same way.

1 Like

lol

You really aren’t subtle at all

If you are serious about pokemon, yeah, you’d need to study breeding IV/grinding EV, meta comps etc. The same goes for MTG and their meta setups too (and I say that as a Darksteel, Platinum Angel, Win Counter, Enchantment based WG player)

For casual play, WoW is fine for anyone who can actually read/experiment in game.

“Pick up and play” people find even PC gaming to be too much of a hassle.
They want to turn on their console (Older than PS1 too, so no main screen) and be in-game.

Some people relax by researching or focusing on twitch gameplay though.