Why do low and medium pop servers have huge queues?

Anyone else find it weird that low and medium population servers have several hour queues? There has to be something wrong with the login server throttling (if not purposefully done to limit supply).

2 Likes

Well my server was listed as medium, yet I was put into a queue of 4800.

My main realm I joined said medium. 3 hours later and still in queue.
Blizzard is now showing the length of queue times in scale to the average queue time lul.

I think they are holding back the populations in the realms, so more “stuff” does not go South on them…

I started out a 11,000 and change and am now at 3560… the ETA is totally unreliable, but my “position” does keep shrinking.

1 Like

If this is true, Blizzard is incompetent. I wonder what it’s like to know that a private server ripping off the game is better at hosting it than the people that made it.

5 Likes

Its obvious someone hit “code red” button - just look at all the servers that were added lol. Too little, too late though.

Good question.

If small/medium didn’t also have queues, people might actually consider switching to them. Ridiculous.

Who knows… they may have some little technical issues around there.

o the nostalgia

Honestly they knew the turn out was going to be huge, especially from us returning players, so why not compensate for that…ive been waiting almost an hour. The anticipation is almost as bad as when BC came out. LOL

All the realms were high and full on launch.

1 Like

Medium pop on the server my friends are on, I was a couple hours late to the party, 7 hr wait, 1 hr left and im going to bed ffs

might not be accurate

They already clarified that “Medium” is actually a “Full” server due to the lower pop cap, it would be a medium if it was a retail server.

Yeah, they should compensate you for that hour. $15/mth @ 744 hours per month comes out to around $0.02 per hour.

1 Like

I’m guessing it has to do with the fact that everyone is starting in the six starting zones. Even with layers, I don’t think the servers (even medium servers) can tolerate their entire populations being in those six zones at the same time. Thus: queues. If I’m right, that means as people level up and spread out, queues will go down even if more people are playing; the server can hold more concurrent players the more spread out they are.

I think its more due to the fact that even on a low / medium pop server. EVERYONE is just starting, so those starting zones will STILL be overcrowded, even on a low pop server. They probably want to avoid situations where you have 200 people camping a quest mob. ( still happening though )

As the levelling increases and players move to other areas, the low and medium pop servers will lose their respective queue times.

I logged into Old Blanchy about 15 mins ago with no queue.