Why do arena rogues take twist the knife

when double dose sims higher

PVE - Nothing personal and double dose are your top choices with heart of darkness if you have it available , while twist the knife being your 3rd or 4th best option.

PVP - Always try go Twist the knife x3, with Shroud x1 and Nothing personal x1 as best setup. Try not to use double dose in arena, alot of other better choices.

right but why are most rogues on the arena ladder taking twist the knife instead

edit after urs- what makes twist the knife better in arena? it and double dose are seemingly just single target dmg increases. is it because the double dose proc is random and might not happen in ur goes?

I just edited my post for PVP, sims are mostly only based on PVE situations and no PVP ones. Sims will give you broad idea of what’s good in general but doesnt always translate to PVP.

1 Like

Because arena isnt a raid lol.

5 Likes

It just makes envenom hit harder and provides a better boost to your burst, you’re not going to have a 100% uptime to entirely benefit from double dose. It used to be kind of okay in 2’s in like season 1, but generally you’ll benefit more from harder hitting envenoms. Try to avoid " simming " as a general application for everything. It’s good to look at numbers but there are a lot of factors to consider when comparing PvE & PvP. There is a lot of hit and running that happens that will strip away the value of a dps trait in a pvp scenario. Hope that helps.

To give you context of a situation, say you’re queing into a Mage Lock team, you’re not going to get as much use of double dose when you need to line of sight more often, giving envenom a better value ( say that you’re generating combo points off the lock pet ), in that situation twist the knife is 1 global, compared to spending a couple globals on mutilate that won’t do as much damage in that moment. ( Either way you’ll be using mutilate to generate but it’s just to give you a general idea that, it’s a higher amount of damage dealt in a shorter period of time )

5 Likes

Double dose sims higher but pvp isnt pve. You don’t have the same uptime and to be honest as a rogue your mut is to build cp right? Why take little extra dmg on that when I can get my finisher that I’m using to pressure or kill to get more burst.

Plus think of how much more your using combo points on things like stuns an such an you realize the marginal sustain dmg isnt as good as more burst on finishers used to kill.

Burst is king in pvp, unless your comp is specifically looking to rot. Hope that made a bit more sense.

Edit: poster above beat me to it lol

1 Like

Thanks for everyones replies except survivalist whose post was pointless doglogs

it synergizes extremely well with marked for death, and assuming you are able to play properly, envenom should generally be your highest damage dealt over the course of the match

rupture, garrote, and auto attacks will also be up there most games but in a solid game with decent uptime envenom will generally be your highest, and in this age of versatile 3 stacking conflict and strife majors, its sometimes better to just forsake kidney shot and spam envenom

I miss wrath envenoms.

1 Like

same brother

4 Likes

Vigor sims higher why don’t all rogues play vigor cause situationally the burst utility gains far more value in arena

1-You will use FoK and PK to generate combo pts often in arena as well as garrote more often than in ST fights.

2-Mark for death over vigor also means more evenoms less mutilates.

3-You would need to sim 6-10s window burst with pvp talents/rotation/wound poison.

pve will always “sim” higher because its pve. Pvp traits are always different generally. Druids for example stack Jungle fury (Crit ) and wildfleshrending (more shred and swipe damage ) for pve but masterful instincts ( bigger mastery ) and iron jaws ( Damage with Maims ) for pvp.

is this actually true? i’ve never seen envenom be anybody’s top damage besides adelgabrie playing blood of the enemy. i’ll buy that envenom is the largest single portion of your damage during a short go, maybe, but over a whole match? you positive about that one ryuchiefz

2 Likes

higher burst and its consistent rogue isn’t like dk so usually the sustained damage isn’t good for example how rogues take vigor instead of MFD In pvp its the on demand damage that matters and the burst windows

its not true rupture/garrote is my top damage consistently he fails to realize rogues only ever envenom (exceptions of course) when they have both bleeds because of system shock damage

its not this way every game, but yes, envenom is often my top damage and by a long shot

games where im not able to stick to my target as much will see rupture -> garrote at the top

especially if i can tell that they’re playing conflict and strife major, i dont bother using kidney shot as often and just pve them with envenoms, it is huge

https://gyazo.com/79f419cfa5a01fd68390e774a88e5d87 random 2s game where the rogue’s breakdown looks like i remember all rogue breakdowns looking
i’m pretty sure that almost every rogue, almost every game, has both bleeds outdamage envenom

i dont know what your obsession is with needing to be right, but you arent

and dont project your feelings onto me, i dont care

oddly personal for an informational question-driven thread. calm some of the way down sideweiners, it’s ok if you went to the adelgabrie school of bfa s4 gearing or drank the loxatar never-press-kidney-it’s-good-i-promise coolaid