Why do all of the people we fight fight us with suicidal aggression?

the only character(s) i can think of that actually yield to us is runas from the azsuna questline. everyone else either suicides or just yells “ENOUGH!” before delivering a pithy monologue and teleporting away (jaina, the cartel guy from castle nathria, etc)

1 Like

“Why do losers fight people who end up defeating them?”

I can throw a few guesses :

Perhaps they disagreed with the cause of the winner.

Perhaps they believe in their own cause.

Perhaps defeat would leave them worse off than even death.

Sometimes we as adventures go to their places - by this metric, the people we slay would be considered to have “suicidal defensiveness.”

3 Likes

Technically we only fought the Keepers of Ulduar to the point of “resetting” them to purge Yogg-Saron’s influence, and Algalon and MoP Ra-den both submitted rather than fighting to the death.

1 Like

My brother in Christ
It’s a video game.

7 Likes

cause no point in fightin unless we get loot

2 Likes

I think a better question would be the opposite, honestly. Why do adventurers attack enemies of godlike power without any sort of fear? Multiple times, we lose, surviving only due to intervention from a powerful lore character, only to do it over again with a new threat.

We’re like mice and the bosses are very confused cats we keep throwing down with. The mortal heroes of Azeroth are probably the most baffling force a lot of these entities have ever encountered in their lives, and then we kill them.

Imagine being the Iron Horde, steamrolling most of Draenor, opening a portal to a new conquest, only to have a foothold for all of five seconds before an army of adventurers boil through your own gateway like a bunch of locusts in funny armor, destroy your ritual site, free your prisoners, flood your foundry, collapse your mine, wreck your gate, and steal a boat. Within a year they bring your entire war machine to its knees, then they leave.

Imagine the absolute confusion of the Legion, which has killed a thousand worlds, when someone opens a direct line to the core of their power structure, Argus, and the mortal heroes of Azeroth zip right over without any hesitation and essentially ruin your everything before going home.

Most, if not all, of the enemies we face have only ever lost to beings of a similar type, of course they think they’ll win against mortals. Azeroth’s heroes are just so insane and lacking in self-preservation that they fight anyway and triumph via schemes that are unexpected because of how ridiculous they are.

9 Likes

Because it’s mechanically sensible.

Death Knights and Demon Hunters have the best excuses: You can’t permanently kill either of them.

You (as in, the foe with godlike power) have to win every time.
They only need to win once.

I still have fond memories of the loud sounds of plate mail dropping from clouds of mosquitos in Diablo 2.

they know shadowlands exist and death doesn’t matter

Because purplez. We need them, we want them, and we’ll take it off your body.

Dude. Literally every humanoid mob in questing runs in fear when theyre about to die. Its a mechanic. Stuff just dies so fast nowadays it doesnt matter at all.

Because the alternative is returning to their previous job- interning at Activision.

1 Like

And we can’t have that, now can we?

Because the mechanics of an MMO don’t really play well with a realistic interaction between combatants.

2 Likes