Why Dishonorable Kills failed at their intended purpose

Hey man, the Blizz devs are not remaking Vanilla with a custom ruleset for you. Their guideline is authenticity over everything else.

That’s the only reason they need to be included.

If we are going to start changing Vanilla for everyone that whines about some particular thing they don’t like, we’re just a few years away from retail all over again.

16 Likes

Because they were in the game in Vanilla. That’s the only ever needed with questions like this. Classic is about recreating what WAS, not changing it to however you prefer to play the game.

Give us the game AS IT WAS and let the rest sort itself out.

3 Likes

Where’s the line on this? Do you want to re-create bugs? How about exploits? What differentiates these from dysfunctional features? There’s no doubt at this point that DHKs were broken.

If you’re telling me you’re in favor of recreating broken mechanics that hinder the spirit of vanilla for the sake of completeness, well, this is where we part ways.

10 Likes

This falls under the frankenpatch though, which is still valid for no changes.

Blizzard is also using pre-1.10 loot tables for a time. If they were giving us static 1.12 then they wouldn’t do that.

If nothing else, DHKs should be pushed to Phase 3 to be released alongside BGs just like it happened in real Vanilla.

18 Likes

Crunch the numbers all you want, my memory tells me that if you were the least bit concerned with pvp rank, you avoided the risk of DHKs once they were implented.

This left you with BGs, soloing, or sticking with tight guild or friend groups. No more world pvp pugs aka Tarren Mill, and certainly no huge raid on enemy cities.

13 Likes

Just to add one other interesting TIMELINE change from vanilla:

10 October 2005 - Patch 1.8.0 changes it so guardians and pets in aggressive do not attack civilians.

And for a fun read of what wPvP could be like even with DHKs (comment from article is “just some honor (that didn’t cover nearly what we lost from DKs)”:

2 Likes

That was my memory, too. Then I sat down and, like you said, crunched the numbers. That’s when I realized things didn’t add up.

2 Likes

You just said what differentiates these. dysfunctional or not, its a feature that was added into Vanilla WoW and should stay. Bugs and Exploits are just that.

They seemed to have worked just fine in my experience, you kill a civilian, you get a DHK. Pretty straight forward and not broken.

3 Likes

Explain to me your understanding of the purpose of DHKs, please. Be complete and specific.

6 Likes

“We want to play Classic… except for this and that, and this one thing oh and if you could rebalance classes, retune raids and remove DHKs”

DHKs are relatively easy to avoid. They only matter while you are ranking. Rank, then raid cities to your heart’s content, it won’t matter.

2 Likes

I don’t need to. It was in Vanilla and it should be in Classic.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about cross-realm BGs?

4 Likes

That’s what I thought. I have nothing further for you.

9 Likes

Fine, if and when its needed, just as it was in Vanilla.

You didn’t have anything for me in the first place, just a bunch of trying to push your changed version of the game on the rest of us, and acting superior through it all.

6 Likes

It’s not an act.

6 Likes

I assume you are 100% serious, and that’s the sad part for me. I’d be down if it was all an act but I really think you believe you are right in everything you have said in this thread.

7 Likes

Unfortunately with the additional of DHK’s I’ll be queuing as far away from other people as possible, even with a premade. I don’t need a bad actor sabotaging my rank grinding because he decides he want to gank some lowbies and accidentally shanks an Civilan tagged NPC within’ range of me.

And I won’t be able to participate in city raiding because AoE will inevitably cause an DHK

12 Likes

It’s simple the only argument people against DHK’s can come up with is: When i make a group to world pvp consisting of total retards and some of those Rtards decide to kill civilians it becomes my problem, this isn’t fair.

YES IT IS FAIR, for u to be a bad leader, for u to bringing total noobs, not explaining to them how it works and what not.

If u are to raid MC and u head in to a boss with a noob group without explaining how it works are u going to rage at blizzard too after wiping?

I’ve had tons of big wpvp fun with full raids on Pservers without getting a single Dhk

It wouldn’t be vanilla. :sunglasses:

7 Likes