Why discontinue making authenticators?

That has nothing to do with the fact that they are turning from smartphones back to old flip phones.

1 Like

But everything to do with the fact that this is a discussion about Authenticators for World of Warcraft.

I’m sorry what? How is 2FA too much trouble? If you ever get hacked, you’ll have even more trouble.

1 Like

I’m truly sorry for your lack of understanding or ability to comprehend that not everyone’s circumstances are the same as yours. I feel like you must live a very insular life.

7 Likes

omg, how do you make it through the work day without a cell phone?

Lol GD will get outraged over the dumbest stuff.

Either get a smartphone when your authenticator breaks or don’t.

Choice is yours but technology inevitably moves onwards, and people using outdated tech will lose out on certain conveniences.

If enough ppl were using the old devices im sure they would still make them

4 Likes

I didn’t even think about the per month plans almost every phone provider has nowadays. You can get a pretty decent up to date smartphone for $3-5 a month 18 months. I think if there is a will theres a way looking at gathering 3 bucks a month.

Not where I live. That is, maybe I could buy the phone, but the service? What the hell good is a phone without service?

2 Likes

I wasn’t specifically addressing you, I commented on the OP’s thread which specifically mentions not affording a smartphone and nothing about service.

To your point, if you can’t do phone service you can use google hangouts and other VOIP services to make calls and text over Wifi instead :man_shrugging: For the purpose of this thread, you dont even need a carrier to use the internet and get your authenticator. And if someone hits me with the “I cant afford internet” while also using the internet to tell me this, I’m banning you.

1 Like

Do people still get hacked for WoW anymore? Really?

1 Like

Oh, yeah. I’m not particularly worried about the authenticator. And I wasn’t really trying to pick on your comment. It’s just that some of the folks here act like a person must be an idiot if they don’t have a smartphone, and that’s sort of annoyed me. So I got a little sidetracked. Sorry.

5 Likes

Look, I get that you don’t get a choice in having a phone because you live in the middle of nowhere, but I’m talking about the people who willfully choose not to have one.

It’s like Windows XP. Flip phones. Dial-up. These are outdated technologies with minor holdouts refusing or unable to upgrade - and I’m sorry, it’s not fair to not have access to more modern technology because you live somewhere in the plains, but that’s really not a solvable problem precisely because you live in the middle of nowhere.

Holdouts coasting on antiquated technologies and refusing to use upgraded ones should not preclude the minimum standard from ever being raised because they just don’t want to bother progressing with the rest of society.

You can get a cheap tablet, so there’s really no issue, except for wanting what YOU want, and nothing else.

“smartphones” cost about 20-30 bucks at the cheapest…now while i will agree with anyone that says paying more than 30 bucks on a phone is down right stupid…this is what we have resorted to because wellllllllll…stupid people are willing to do so.

go get a cheapo, hell thats what i did, the thing gets service in places my wifes 300 dollar waste of cash does not, its faster, and i don’t have to deal with a store that wants me to stop in every cpl months for a “free” (by free they mean give them 100 more) upgrade lol

It was never about cost-effectiveness. Blizzard sold them at cost and shipped them for free. They were taking a loss on every physical authenticator sold because it was still cheaper than recovering and restoring compromised accounts.

3 Likes

Some people look at things through microscopes, others telescopes. The narrow view definitely impedes meaningful perspective.

1 Like

Can’t say I disagree with this.

I love where I live, and I wouldn’t change it for the world. But I also accept the drawbacks. I was delighted when we were able to switch from satellite to DSL, but I didn’t grouse about our situation before that. Heck, even now my internet is still slow by developed world standards, but I’m okay with that.

If having a smart phone were feasible (and useful) where I live, I’d be all for it. If people choose not to use the technology available to them, they shouldn’t be annoyed when technology leaves them behind.

2 Likes

I’ve been hacked once. It took 24 hours for the support team to fix it. I’ve had problems with my authenticator locking my account because I forget stuff at least a dozen times.

A very low end, third hand smart device can run the authenticator app. You don’t need a phone plan to go with it. If you’re on facebook, check facebook marketplace. I’ve seen phones for literally 20 dollars with cracked screens or crummy batteries that need to be charged every 5 hours.

I understand the money crunch, I really do. I also understand if you’re able to pay for WoW through in-game gold (I do the same). But if scrounging up 20-50 dollars is a life-altering, rent-impeding, who-knows-if-i’ll-eat-tonight, issue… then perhaps one must re-assess their current situation beyond game problems.

In this day and age, it really does not make sense for them to manufacture these devices and pay people to maintain the machines that make them, to pay the packagers, to pay for the raw material cost, etc etc.

2 Likes

And now they can eliminate that cost completely and still require people to use existing services to secure their account without the cost of restoring them.

The very meaning of “not being cost effective anymore.” You might be confusing cost effectiveness with profitable. You’re right, they were never making a profit on them.

1 Like