Why discontinue making authenticators?

Oh snap, wait I’ve seen BlueStacks before. How does that work without a Google+ account? You can still get Google+ apps?

Don’t mean to be rude, but the reality is: if you play wow and don’t have a smartphone, you’re in such a minority that they don’t really care about it.

11 Likes

it’s the way the world is heading these days. If software can replace hardware then head in that direction. Even rocket parts have been replaced with software these days. It’s the future woooooo lol.

A more simple example, cloud computing. Easier to download an image than carry around a photo album. No one complains about that.

Why do you need a phone to play WoW?

Perhaps some folks need to spend their money on things like food, house, gas to get to work, etc.

17 Likes

Why?

Authenticators can’t see what mobile games you have installed where you are, who’s in your contact list, serve adds, try to get you to the in game store…

12 Likes

Or set. Your authenticator to only require authorization only when logging in from a new device.

I don’t remember the last time I opened the authenticator on my phone. I don’t even know where the app is haha

1 Like

Yes, they have confirmed that they’re still supported. The system hasn’t changed, just that they’re no longer going to be selling the physical version.

A side note because someone mentioned it before, SMS Protect is nothing at all like an authenticator. It’s for resetting your password or unlocking your account. It can also be used to more easily remove an attached authenticator. But do not confuse it for the type of security that an authenticator adds.

4 Likes

Well it doesn’t have to be a phone, but maybe an iPod touch or something would make sense that’s got some WIFI. If I were homeless again I’d just park my car over near Starbucks or something to get my internets back.

Yes existing ones will still be supported

2 Likes
1 Like

Nope. Don’t need to. People can leave a damned message or email me if it’s important.

8 Likes

Sounds like you’re a phone addict to me shrug the world went on fine before smartphones. You’ve been duped into thinking you NEED one to survive. Hint: you don’t. Not even a little.

7 Likes

I don’t disagree if you don’t need one that you should have one… I need one. I’m in the tech industry and my phone has eliminated me carrying around a pen and tablet when I’m doing a site survey… I can take pictures and I have a measuring tool I can hook up the USB and save to my phone as well. I can get my work email… But do you.

1 Like

Then.how.do.you.play.Pokemon Go?!?!?!

1 Like

well, I am minority here, but I only have a work phone, and if it wasn’t for my friend at the time years ago, I would probably still not have a personal cell phone to this day.

I do, but my point is, I have an authenticator and if I truly had a choice I would remove my cell phone. I don’t really need it.

5 Likes

But… how am I suppose to go to the gym now…? Do I workout in silence? :open_mouth:

LIES…

Not everyone lives in places that get good cell phone service. Many of us still need land lines.

12 Likes

Strange, I’ve never used my phone to play wow.

It is an addiction that cell companies have nurtured for quite a while. There is now a whole generation that never went without one.

8 Likes

As new technology enters the market, evolves, changes. Old technology gets phased out for lots of reasons, production costs, incompatibilities, few people still using them, just to name a few.

It could also be that the company they contracted to produce the authenticator has decided to stop supplying them or is looking to charge more. (or one of several other reasons)

In this day and age I suspect very few people don’t have a phone capable of handling their mobile app.

I would guess they aren’t cost effective and aren’t selling due to the Mobile Authenticator.