Why Dire Maul Should Not Be At Launch of Classic WoW

Discuss. Should Dire Maul be at launch of Classic WoW?

11 Likes

No it shouldn’t. It’s baffling why they are doing this tbh.

12 Likes

I was one of those people who thought they would never do progressive releases. From what they had previously said, it sounded like they wanted something as smooth and easy for them as possible. However, now knowing they are doing it, it might as well be released the same way it originally was. Why do it any differently?

10 Likes

No Dire Maul at launch. Add one or two more content stages instead of four. Nightmare dragons should release before AQ as well. Probably between BWL/AQ.

6 Likes

That video is very informative and I think makes a compelling argument as to why Diremaul should be released later. The power creep for its addition would make the earlier dungeons basically obsolete on launch and thus nobody would do them.

I don’t really think it would have that much of an impact on the economy as it would take quite some time for people to have the gear to farm it effectively and frequently.

Overall I agree with him in that Diremaul should come out after MC but before BWL

9 Likes

Don’t honestly care, if it comes out release though this is the only dungeon worth running imo.

1 Like

No, I don’t think it should be. I also don’t think the world dragons should be in either. They came in 1.3 just like DM. I think combined with 1.12 talents this has the potential to make the game significantly easier than an authentic experience should be. They’re front loading content too much, it seems. Though, they did say they were looking to revisit the content bucks, and I hope they do.

5 Likes

I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the “content bucket” system they announced would mean that Dire Maul WAS NOT available at launch directly, but was instead gated to when MC is out.

I guess I thought this because the “content bucket” list specifically mentions Dire Maul, but not Maraudon (which was also post release)… so it would kind of be a short interlude for leveling before “bucket 1” came out.

I guess in retrospect, my reasoning there isn’t super concrete, but it’d be nice to get confirmation on whether “bucket 1” is intended to be “on release” or a “post release” thing.

Copy/Pasting from the forum sticky for people who haven’t seen the “content bucket” thing:

they can just launch it after 3 months like they did in Vanilla.

Some of you are missing that there are currently just 4 phases…not 11 or 12 like at old launch. So each phase brings several patches of content.

1 Like

I guess Blizzard needs to clarify the amount of time between each stage. Stage 1 could encompass x amount of months but does not necessarily mean all on day 1.

2 Likes

They’ve stated that MC and Ony will be available at launch, so assuming dire maul will be as well is a safe inference.

3 Likes

I don’t see how releasing content in four massive content patches is easier for the dev team. Whenever they release a content patch, they’ll need to fix issues exposed by userbase and patch accordingly. The more content they release at once, the more they have to deal with at the same time. Stage 2 will be a nightmare if released all at once.

My guess is that the four stage presentation is just a simplification for Blizzcon, and content will be more spread out.

1 Like

Its more likely two things to be exact. Firstly, it clarifies that Blizz intend to do content releases rather than having everything available all at once. Secondly, it presents a rough draft for the community to take part in giving feedback. Each section is pretty much four patches in each which suggests that they looked at what was available at a given time and just said “We will start with this for now”

They have explicitly stated the 4 buckets, though Ion left open the possibility that they have missed something. However they have specifically said that this is one of the things they’re looking for feedback on specifically/most.

I hope this is just an oversite, for the health and longevity of the game it should be pushed to content bucket #2 at the very least. Makes all end game release dungeons inferior, spell upgrades, op trinkets, gear better than mc… just find it strange they would consider allowing this.

it literally came out 3-4 months after release, it was in for the majority of Vanilla, so honestly with how long people will take to get to 60 you could even bring it out at 2 months for the same effect.

2 Likes

It’s not just the items of dire maul…it’s the fact of that and the 1.12 talents along with threat buff that really trivialize early raid content.

1 Like

odd really that it did not have a huge effect in Vanilla with all that.