Why did frostmage get nerfed?

Can anyone see the logic in why Frostmage got nerfed?

Like I’ve been thinking about it… There was almost no reason for it if they are leaving other classes in the state they currently are in. For some reason someone at blizzard watched a 5 second clip and saw one pull out of every single dungeon that exists and was like hey, that was alot of damage. Yet they let Warlock with the highest single target and the most AOE damage just run rampant without even looking at it turning a blind eye?

5 Likes

That’s more or less my understanding. Frost was excelling in highly organised M+ done by the top 1% of players when pulling 20+ mobs. Rather than looking at potentially capping the number of targets FOrb/Blizzard could hit so prevent this, they nerfed the baseline modifiers because it was easier. This change actually impacted more on low-target cleave, raids, lower keys and pugs than it did the elites.

Blizzard also has this imaginary understanding that Frost is a “simple” spec and therefore it can never perform near the top of raids. If Frost is lucky it sees little boosts to a few spells, but nothing that would ever make it a threat to other specs.

Hopefully with the (supposed) removal of borrowed power systems in DF, the specs will be considerably easier to balance as they’re not having to deal with the interaction of 4 different systems.

5 Likes

It’s pretty alarming that they are happy to nerf a class based off 1 video and then let a whole tier happen with another class doing more damage than what frost mage was even capable of go ahead with no change.

6 Likes

That’s really funny if it’s actually the case because Destruction is one of the simplest casters out there. In M+ especially it only takes putting [Immolate] on ~3 targets while the tank pulls, [Summon Infernal] and [Rain of Fire] until everything is dead and the Warlock did 200k DPS.

Do have in mind Frost got nerfed because of M+, not raids.

3 Likes

Yup… Destro and Survival being allowed to stay doing what they are doing while Frost got utterly crushed was just straight up mind boggling. To this day, I sit here going… why the hell do I play this char anymore?!

4 Likes

There’s a fundamental problem here. That is other classes have an amazing dps gain when they’re in CD’s. Frost does not get this gain… The fact you have to be necrolord+CD’s to try and do 30k dps, YES 30k dps compared to a warlock doing 100k and outside of our ‘cooldowns’ we’re literally bin tier. Want to know what happens if you die to something when you pop these CD’s? Guess what you have absolutely nothing to impact or help for 3 minutes. The reliance on icyveins being a big thing for frostmage is a really bad reliance because it’s not consistent at all, frostmage is so minmaxy and RNG based that it’s really not a healthy class to play with this design

3 Likes

They did this to Enhancement at the start of bfa they watched a pvp tournament where an enhancement was healing and they won so they nerfed Enhancement healing all of bfa. So welcome to blizzard now you finally feel what its like

2 Likes

Except it’s been like that for 2 expansions now, and this mentality of “but X was bad for a time so now Y can be bad” is silly. Some specs did have a moment to briefly shine, and broken 8.3 corruption (which they admitted they put zero effort into and was a mistake) but Frost hasn’t been worth playing since the last tier of Legion. The gameplay design and poor balance could be somewhat forgiven in a small game with 5 devs, but this is a game that at one point was pulling $2B a year in subs.

2 Likes

Right and bfa s4 fire mage was just ib/pyro spam during combust then rest your eyes for a minute. I doubt very much that perceived spec difficulty factors into balance. More like “eh we let it go on this long, we’ll touch it next patch”

1 Like

I really just want to know who is in the office going - Yeah warlock is okay, just leave it. You’d literally have to be purposely wanting to annoy the player base

2 Likes

Sure Frost is simple, but have you tried pressing Rain of Fire a lot? Like, you have to press that button over and over. Literal hard mode.

And Enhancement has had to deal with this for longer I know I mained an Enhancement sorry but welcome to the club finally.

The same people that said that about Enhancement shamans when we were garbage teir

1 Like

If you have an issue with how Enh has been balanced in the past bring it up on the Shaman forums.

This mentality sucks, if what you’re saying is bad then why would you want others to be where the bad place was? You should want to prevent others from getting to a bad spot, not gloating that you’ve been here since day 1…

PS: Healing isn’t the same for a dps as dps is for a dps

2 Likes

I don’t want others to be in this bad spot. But looking from where I am its the old adage of misery loves company. In a decent ran game most if not all dps specs would be viable and wanted. But that has never been the case in wow. And the fact that mages/hunters got a form of blood lust just shows how little Blizzard thought of shaman that they gave a version of that ability to other classes so you didn’t have to bring a shaman.

Just like frost has been king for a while with arcane close and fire mages being laughed at in pve for damage. Just like how bm hunters are no longer the best spec for hunter after how many expansions and ues of being the top spec.

I could continue on but I wanted to show that people that have probably laughed at dps shamans, I know Enhancement shamans have been laughed at, that yea it sucks when you hit bottom like we have been for a long while now.

I understand we’re going into a new expansion very shortly but this does have a large effect on the current, we aren’t playing the future yet. To be honest the mentality that the game is balanced in an AOE situation is absolutely wrong. Some classes are doing more than double others without needing a cooldown usage.

4 Likes

Are we playing the same game? Fire is almost always top dps at some point in the expansion…

IDK why you replied to me, I didn’t say anything about any of that.

2 Likes

Only since Legion before then it was frost and arcane. Most of the time frost at the tops in legion fire became prominent finally and even in bfa frost was still wanted over fire.

Legion was 5+ years ago, that’s a long time to be good every expansion.

I don’t think we are playing the same game. Fire was wanted ALL of BfA because of them being able to stack ignite, frost was only chosen at the end when they could stack corruptions.

2 Likes

I know at least in my guild fire mages have been looked down on for raids and mythic + frost was wanted. And not just my guild I watched fire mages get “encouraged” to go frost. And it happened to other guilds o raided with as well. So that was my experience in all of bfa.