Why did blizzard cancel server transfers?

When did they removing dynamic spawns?

But they’re bringing paid server transfers, you are asking them to give up free money, corporations don’t like doing that.

Yes, there are numerous reasons why Blizzard didn’t double the servers - They’ve given their reason out numerous times on Youtube interview, articles and forum posts. Would you like them to personally send you a letter next time?

We could have had twice the server amount and if one of em or two died you could just merge…

Again this issue has been directly addressed by Blizzard - merging servers is a terrible idea.

instead of having a solid plan

The plan was layering - it worked well.

they just put as many ppl on em as their awful cloud can handle

Not true, they but a queue on servers even tho they could allow more people to enter. This was an incentive for people to offload or move to unpopulated or fresh servers.

All we have now is either servers that have WAY too many players on one realm or not enough on the “medium” servers. We are at a point where its impossible to decide what server to pick when you want to roll a new toon, because most of em are either too filled with horde (compared to alliance) or the playerbase itself is too big, because its +10k ppl on the high servers. You cant do anything on there.

I completely disagree with this. It’s overdramatic and heavily embellished - I play on a server that has a high population / Full during peak times with a queue. I don’t have a problem and I can certainly do everything. I think that most of the players are used to having more of a single-player experience on retail that it’s jaded them when people actually contest for resources.

On the other hand you cant pick “medium” either because its not enough people there either.

Yet people keep going on and on about how “medium” size servers have more active players then any of the highest populated OG Vanilla realms? You are literally complaining about “High” population realms having too MANY players and not being able to breathe and now you are complaining about “medium” realms for not having enough??? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

instead of providing a census or a nudge to the players on where to go

This would be a disaster if they did this !!! People would actively start moving to certain servers and you’ll see ratios like 60/40 turn in 80/20 which would trigger a snowball effect and completely ruin the servers while adding unnecessary queues to others.

Its easy to blame us players but they have the stats and we do not.

Exactly - you don’t have the stats. This means your assessment of the situation could be completely wrong!

Not that I can remember. Connected realms was the equivalent that let people from multiple realms join guilds and play together. Think of it like server merges except your realm is part of your name :wink:

I know they did not want dead servers after the initial hype… hence why only a few servers.

Its not a terrible idea, its just work for them, that they do not wanna do. As a player, worst case scenario is you lose your name and or your pvp rank this week.

It did not work well because the game they wanted to recreate did not have layering and layering was always a short term solution. Not only did it mask how lively each server actually was and wether certain factions had too many ppl (so the playerbase itself could adjust any errors) it also had impacts on the economy as people kept abusing the layer mechanics to artificially stack up on nodes in the world. Not to mention the world first ragnaros kill within a week brought to you by the layering abuse.

Im 100% certain they artificially introduced queues, but that was not my point. Their hardware is pretty trashy for the amount of money they have. Just go SW or ORG on any lively server and see what happens when ony head pops. It lags out terribly. There is plenty of pvp videos out there where the lag makes the game unplayable after a certain amount of ppl join in. I am just saying they cheap out on hardware.

Its great if you disagree. That does not change the fact that the world was not created for 10k+ people on it. It just was not because in 2004 they knew what the limitations were. And the world has not changed, its just the technology allows to stack more ppl in it. Also you play on arugal, which according to Ironforge pro has +7k raiders, 60/40% split for horde. Of course you feel you can do everything because in most of the encounters horde has the upper hand based on sheer numbers. Try getting into BRM as ally on that server, im sure its very fun. And 60/40 isnt even “bad” in terms of imbalance. It has nothing to do with “used to single player experience”…

Who says that? Thats the first time I have ever heard this? I said “medium” because blizz just changed it to medium and nobody even knows wether its actually medium or low. And a server with 1k or 1-2k players could certainly use more. Whats not to understand? They were designed for 3k.

No thats exactly not what would happen. Because everyone hates imbalances. Both sides. Its not fun for the 80% horde on skeram to roflstomp the few allis we have while its equally not fun for the 20% alliance to engage in any world interaction. 5v1 zergs are not fun, for either side. Having numbers allows people to adjust their decision. In what world is less transparency ever a good thing?

But of course if you think free server transfers from realm A to B where you only know B has less people overall is “good” then I dont know if i can help you. Flamelash is the perfect example of why the current system sucks. Nobody has an idea about what is what and we have to rely on incomplete data like Ironforge pro and other sites instead of just having solid numbers. Some poor soul most likely chose skeram yd to create his new horde toon not knowing that the server is massively imbalanced.

Which is again… a good argument for my “more transparency” point… thanks i guess.

they didnt cancel them
just got them on hold and then charge for them

Flamelash AND they are going to release paid services so why would they give this up for free when they can starve you and then sell you a cracker for $25?

1 Like