Why can't Blizzard increase the layers now? The queues might not come later

In one of the earlier population updates, Blizzard said they can increase the number of layers on each realm to avoid queues, but they don’t want to run into problems later when they remove layering:

But Blizzard has had a solution to that problem since vanilla: free realm transfers. And they might not have to use it anyway.

We know that Blizzard is scared of population drop-off, which is why they have been so hesitant to release realms. This is understandable. Everyone is afraid of the drop-off… that’s why we’re all piling into full servers. But if you increase the initial server cap using layers, and that drop-off still occurs, there might not be much pain when you decrease the cap and remove layering before P2 because the number of layers will have decreased naturally.

If there is not a significant drop-off in players and we do face large queues before P2, then Blizzard can open transfers to lower pop realms. They did this plenty in vanilla and server communities were just fine.

As I see it, the choice right now is between queues at a historic launch where the playerbase is brimming with excitement but not yet committed, and queues a few months into the expansion when players are already committed. Use layering for what it was made to do now and address the consequences - if there are consequences - later. We have the technology! Blizzard can make this the best possible launch for everyone.

1 Like

How is temporarily adding layers to curb queue times creating a problem down the road is what I don’t understand. Is it because they said they would have layering gone by phase 2?

We don’t even know when that is going to be.

I doubt players could tell the difference between being on a server that has 6 layers vs one that has 8.

Months ago a lot of players were perfectly fine having to deal with queues, myself included, but I never signed up for waiting several hours.

I reserved my name the second the server was up, and now I’m being asked to choose between staying put and dealing with an extensive queue or worse - NO QUEUE AT ALL, GOOD LUCK, TRY AGAIN.

They should have capped it days ago. Who actually thinks the above is acceptable?

TLDR; Blizzard was unprepared.

Give us more layering on Launch day, Blizzard!

2 Likes

More layers on launch mean greater chance for long queues after layering is gone. Do you want to feel forced to re-roll after you’ve taken a toon to 60, or now when all you have invested is a name?

1 Like

Did you read my post at all?

I think an increase in layering for the first few release days to match the opening day surge is a responsible thing to do. Once it equalizes adjust the capacity to what’s acceptable!

Personally I think they are going to force people on the overloaded servers to re-roll. I think there is method in this madness. I think they actively want to breakup the premade guilds that have formed on private servers and elsewhere to reduce game drama.

ya, at this point no matter what if they remove layering they’re going to have to offer free transfers. pointless to do queues, just give more layers and embrace the transfers completely.

sure feels a lot like blizzard is setting classic up to fail. launch kills many an mmo, and they’re doing everything they can to make sure people can’t play.

1 Like

Nothings going to kill Classic.

It may be rough for a day or two, but if you want to play you will be able to find a realm that will work. But what is happening now is already eroding the premade guilds that threaten to be powerhouses even before the game starts.

Does someone fear the herod queue? You still have time to reroll.

1 Like

all the realm will have the big queue

Grob and blasquad probably wont.

The reason they cant just “embrace transfers” is the same reason herod is still growing and people arent moving.

Everyone just assumes everyone else will do it and they can stay. If people cant even be asked to move when all they have is a dumb name reserved, you think they will move after months of playing on it?

1 Like

they will, all the realm

They can’t lock the servers… that is bad business practice… what about friends wanting to play with each other?

You can’t stop human nature. Dogpiling on 1 server was a real risk, and you chose to go on the servers that everyone knew were going to popular…

I think not. Blizzard is just building tension, anxiety, now. There will be plenty of servers once we go live. As tension builds, as soon as they release a new server (maybe a PVE one in the east later today) many will rush to it.

nobody will rush to it, communities are already established on the first realms, and everybody will be waiting in queues by the time new realms come up and won’t be able to know there’s a new realm without giving up their position in line, so they won’t risk it

If I am in a community - say a 400 deep guild from a private server - as soon as I realize I am sitting in a 5 hour queue, I’m gone. Off to greener pastures.

Blizzard knows what’s going on. They have a reason they are doing what they are doing now. And I assure you it isn’t because they want to destroy Classic. The question is, what is their angle?

well then you just lost your guild because half of them got in and already made characters, they’re not gonna want to reroll, they’re gonna want you to wait in the queue.

1 Like

Bah, we have it way better now then back in 04 when it was first come, first serve. 48 hours is enough time for you and your buddies to decide which server to play on. If I’m not mistaken, you can STILL make characters on the “full” servers. Come on…

I get the business end of it to a degree, but what company thinks that a 5 hour queue or no queue at all is good business.