Why Can't We do Pet Battle PvP with Friends?

I get it. If I’m doing this with a guildie, we could “cheat,” and help each other out by throwing matches or whatever…but why does Blizzard care?

1.) You Can buy other Pet Achievements
The only pets you can’t buy from the AH are shop pets, collection rewards, and the wild catch (easiest to obtain) pets. This means you can literally buy pet achievements like Raiding with Leashes, Crazy for Cats, and expansion-specific ones like From the Belly of the Jelly.

To “earn” those achievements through gameplay requires hours of gameplay, grinding of mats, and the requisite amount of RNG, but Blizzard allows us to cage and sell many pets for gold, which means it allows us to buy those pets and the relevant achievements that go with them.

2.) You Can buy Raid & Mythic + Achievements
The gold for carry market is massive. People buy AotC and mythic raid gear with gold all the time. Blizzard has repeatedly affirmed that this is allowable.

3.) You Can buy Gladiator & PvP Achievements
People get carried in PvP all the time, too. Lots of people who want the mounts, the conquest, or the gear pay gold to PvP teams to get carried. Blizzard has repeatedly affirmed that this is allowable.

So, my point is: Why can’t my guildie and I work on our Pet Battle PvP achievements together? Neither one of us would ever “let the other win,” but that isn’t the point. Let’s say we do want to cheat together to get those done. Why isn’t that allowed? They allow cheating and unearned achievements all the time.

The player pool participating in Pet Battle PvP is so small (apparently) that we can’t have decent queues. Pursuing a Brawler family achievement, for example, will require most of us many, many attempts to learn what works and how PvP battles are different, but when I’ve tried to do them, I can’t get more than one or two in a day, and I repeatedly find myself fighting the same team over and over and over again. It’s nearly impossible to get any of those achievements done, and the fun has been sucked entirely out of it when you wait hours to get one queue and it’s the same guy…again.

What do you guys think?

I just want the ability to team up with my friends and have Pet PvP battles that count.

7 Likes

Even though they disguise us (a good thing), I have tried with friends to face each other and the matchmaking won’t let it happen. You can still sit for 10 minutes waiting even with a known friend in queue.

I faced one guy over and over with the same team so I changed to alts on other servers and still got that same guy. So, the battlers are across several servers.

Since the designers agree that pvp pet battling, as a system, doesn’t work – I agree that they should lift all restrictions: they failed. I think that I’m at about 800/1000 towards the trainer title and I think I’ve given up, the queue times are horrible. And that is a shame because the desire and effort was there for several expansions.

5 Likes

As a brand new to pvp battles person, I would think almost anything is better than the current state of things.

I saw someone mention in another post that someone with a huge pet collection should be paired with other people who have huge pet collections, and I agree! That’s “fair.” It would be pretty hard to beat a well-crafted team from a collection of hundreds of unique pets with two rabbits and a cat from Elwynn. /grin

But still…it’s clear that they need to put attention on this system and go back to the drawing board. It needs to be completely re-vamped.

The level of activity on this forum indicates to me that there are plenty of people who participate. Battle pet collecting and battling is big enough that we have daily activity on this forum. I blog, and I get roughly one comment per 1,000 views of a given article, and that’s from an audience that comments on the same page they read the article from.

On a forum, these are people who are motivated to leave the game, visit a website, and interact with the topic in a secondary online space like this one. That ratio would be much bigger than a blog post…which is like 1/1000.

So. I don’t believe that battle pets is a small group. There must be a huge number of us with varying levels of interest/involvement. I don’t understand why fixing this wouldn’t be a priority moving forward.

1 Like

Maybe because it’s cheating for free and Activision/Blizzard prefers that you only do things that’ll mean more revenue for them. Anything involving Gold means either burning more time gold farming, which means continuing to subscribe, or buying tokens.

I’d agree it isn’t really cheating when two people are each trying to win a battle. But what Blizzard, and most of us pet people, frown upon is Win Trading, which I have to suspect is what mostly happens. The extreme is a person having two Battle.net accounts for WoW which allows you to, pardon the expression, play with yourself.

2 Likes

I never thought the “fix” for Pet Battles PVP could/would be something like this, but yenno what? Maybe this is the way? It’s supposed to be a casual mini-game, not a hardcore honor grind, right? I dunno. I couldn’t even begin to come up with ideas on how to “fix” PBPVP, make it more accessible for noobs (like myself), build up and encourage participation, etc. PVP in general just feels like a polarizing topic.

I do know some avid PBPVP’ers would probably not like the idea of their accomplishments getting downplayed by opening the floodgates for everyone else. Do I agree with them? Not really. I say let everyone have cake, personal cake so don’t worry about what someone else has. But I’m firmly in the camp of ‘competition is kinda bleeehh anyway’, so I might be in the minority on that.

3 Likes

Still no fix, not even an acknowledgement from Blizzard? Why? The battle pet community is solid, eager, and sooooooo discouraged. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Your queue time for PVP pet battling is determined by what ‘pet battle group’ you are linked to. It has nothing to do with servers and may or may not have to do with the region you live in. There are discords with members dedicated to finding other players in their pet battle group for the sole purpose of trading wins. The best advice I can give outside of that is to only PVP pet battle during pet xp boosts weeks. There are a lot of newbie-ish players tha battle during those weeks until they get the 5 wins for the weekly. Queue times are much shorter during those weeks.

I remember early on when this pvp pet battle came out you could glitch it a bit with a friend…I had two guildmates doing it…they would be next too each other and que at the same time and most times they ended up with each other to pvp fight with in the pet battle…I think later on they fixed that…

I just tried pet battle PVP for the first time today, trying to get the item to unlock the vendor Dodger. I think I have 1 win and 10 losses so far. I think I got matched against the same person five times, another guy twice, then a few randoms. It’s ridiculous and not fun. At this point it’ll be faster for me to farm gold and buy Dodger’s pets from the AH than it will be to ever unlock him via pet battling.

1 Like

Yeah I haven’t been able to open up Dodger either …I gave up trying …and I have quite a collection of pets to work with just never had right group up when I enter a pvp battle…

I just wish in the spirit of an upcoming x-pac, they at least drop a comment concerning this issue.

As subscribers, we deserve at least that.