Why can't I trap two pets from a wild pet battle?

More needless restriction, nobody cares how difficult or trivial this would make it, I’m just here to collect them, and there’s literally no downside to being able to catch each of the pets even all 3 from wild encounters.

4 Likes

Wait til you get one with two rares and you have to pick which one to trap. Sigh.

Yep. I feel this.

6 Likes

Why can’t I trap two pets?

This is a rhetorical question, right? Because the literal answer is "Because Blizzard doesn’t want you to, and they don’t answer “why” questions so that’s all the farther that inquiry will ever go.

5 Likes

It’s not rhetorical, and it’s why I am literally asking it on wow forums. If there is no good explanation why, I am asking for both that explanation or requesting that it be changed to something better and in a way that negatively affects nothing and is only positive.

You had to agree to Blizzard’s Terms and Conditions in order to play WoW in the first place. Those pages and pages of legal mumbo-jumbo effectively say that you play the game however Blizz wants you to and that you have no rights to make them explain or change anything about it.

1 Like

There has been no explanation why, and probably never will be. So all you will ever see is speculation based on observers’ understanding of Activision-Blizzard’s business goals. (Do you forget that this is a business, and it will make as much money as it can according to whatever means they decide it requires? Even if it involves making customers a little unhappy?)

This is the right place to complain, but your complaint isn’t very well phrased, since it does look like a question. Sometimes, the best way to see a change is to suggest it explictly rather than hinting at what you want.

3 Likes

The current system works fine and does what it is designed to do. I’d feel a little cheated if I could line up three captured pets in one taming battle. The adventure of it would be over way too soon and, I guess, trivialized if that is the right word since what we are doing is pretty trivial at base.

1 Like

I’ll pop in here. That’s actually the funnest way to capture new pets.

Pet battling’s a mini-game that could be a standalone mobile game if they wanted.

Collecting wild pets is not just for raw numbers of pets collected it is for hunting that one special breed that lets you kill that one special boss or rule pet pvp.

I wouldn’t mind being able to trap more than one pet per battle myself, but at the same time this question seems along the same lines as wondering why most enemy NPCs reset to full health after leaving combat instead of retaining the damage they took up to that point. That’s kinda just the way it is.

2 Likes

I’m just guessing that its because they want the game to feel rewarding, and the only way to make it feel rewarding is to apply challenges (obstacles). Pet battles are no different than the rest of the game - challenge = rewards = fun. It like how we need to “earn” better great for our character - challenge = reward

Unusually for me, I’m taking Blizzard’s side on this request. With a game of this complexity, you don’t just flip a switch and change the rules. Bunch of red tape just getting a change approved, team effort to evaluate how best to do it, getting allocated some programmers for it, then testing and testing to make sure it hasn’t messed anything else up.

Someone ten years ago assumed that players would only focus on one pet from the team they were battling. Not an unreasonable assumption. Now it’d be a big deal to change.

1 Like

I want to be able to capture any number of pets in a pet battle because anything else is dumb as bricks.