Why bother doing harder content?

You are misconstruing what I posted. Normal BoD drops 385 gear. That means 100% of what that raid offers is useless to me despite having never stepped foot in it. Heroic drops 400 gear. I already have 5 pieces of 400 and am on schedule to get more from the Darkshore Warfront and Conquest. Not much incentive to do Heroic either. Unless I’m doing Mythic, raiding is a waste of time when I can get similar rewards from much easier sources.

I haven’t even fully cleared normal and I already outgear heroic. I have almost reached the end of the gear treadmill and I barely even do anything outside of my weekly +10 and emissaries. I have become a… filthy casual, and there’s no incentive for me to be anything more. The stick has no carrot, so I do not chase it. :carrot:

I used to Mythic raid, I don’t bother anymore. I get fully geared doing lazy world content and I can PvP on the side now until my sub runs out forever :smiley:

For real though, boring game, as a casual that gets on to do random stuff there’s no random stuff to do. The entire game is like Six Flags where I sit in a queue to do something short, easy, and pointless for a generic reward that actually doesn’t increase my power or progression at all.

Thats what set bonus was for. Now with no set bonus my mythic + gear is on par or better than any raid gear. Not to mention I can spam mythic +s and 2+ people will get loot every time we do it. I have gone weeks full clearing raids and got nothing but the odds of me getting look in a +10 are over 50% every time I run it.

Dunno, is that really a bad thing? You will be ready to start the next content and not be behind. And you played the game the whole time… and … had fun? The point is to have fun.

I enjoy the M+ challenge. Sure, I’m at the stage where the content I need to finish to get any upgrade is a step above my guild’s ability now, but that happens as you plateau and then have to work hard to improve…

Does it really bother me that you do none of that and are only -3 of my ilevel - no, it would bother me only if you get into my M+9 and underperformed… Sounds like the system is not encouraging you to do that, so that’s good.

Fair enough. At least with the current conquest system I have something to do each week.

There has to be a top level to achieve to be able to do that level. That would fix everything.

No matter how much you want to do level 80 stuff, you would not be able to unless you a max 80 - 85 toon. This is currently in the game.

Personally, I like having alternate methods of progression (despite it being slower). I can gear my characters by doing emissaries and WFs. No need to have to worry about screwing up in dungeons and raids (I’m a terrible player.)

That’s not “progression”. That’s merely waiting for the minimum gear level to rise and then cashing your checks.

1 Like

You do realize it’s to push harder content, right? Getting better gear acts like a soft nerf to progression bosses over time. But I guess you can just go on assuming if you like.

It’s progression for me. With the exception of holidays and WFs, the only instances I do are legacy content.

No, it’s not progression. You might like it, you might even think you’re actually getting better, but you’re not. You’re just getting bumped up to the gear floor.

Then call it whatever you like. It’s gear that makes it easier to do stuff I enjoy.

I’m not calling it anything. I’m merely explaining the garbage system Blizz uses.

Jurrasic cow eh? ……I have no idea what you mean

People do harder content expect rewards to be in par with their accomplishments. I don’t believe there was an issue with how blizzard use to handle gear in terms of difficulty/reward years ago. 10 man/25 man respectively gave gear appropriate for its content. The challenge of 10/25 man’s was on par with the gear received.

A lot of people that play video games such as single player games can experience a game’s story on normal difficulty and can unlock the standard ending. For the added challenge game developers add a bit of a extra snippet or reward for taking on a harder difficulty. You are not able to achieve that if you don’t put in the leg work on a harder difficulty and to me that’s good end game design. It gives me an incentive to play harder and tell my friends there’s more to the ending as well as bragging rights.

Of course in the age of YouTube you can simply skip that nonsense and watch the true ending on a streaming site but if there’s let’s say a ultimate weapon or additional optional bosses they won’t get it. It comes off as I’m trying to make some club of I have glowing shoulders and you don’t but that was the magic of gearing.

You seen a guy with a druid set and had some falling stars around him and thought to yourself ya know what I want that. It have some people drive and it helped others to push forward. In world of warcraft today we don’t have any real reason to care about getting gear when that’s technically the pinnacle of end game.

Some of us want to see the content and like the challenge and the satisfaction of getting AOTC. Jaina is the only thing blocking me at the moment. You are correct in that 400ilvl gear is easily obtainable though.

1 Like

A lot of high end players I know, don’t do it for the gear. They do that stuff for the challenge.

If you’re only raiding for gear and not because you enjoy the challenge, then that’s a you problem.

Agreed with OP. Why bother when Warfronts are easier than both M+ and Heroic Raids.

1 Like

High ilvl gear is no longer a reward given to the elite player for completing difficult content. Rather, it is the means by which non-elite players are able to clear difficult content by making it less difficult. High ilvl gear is a lot like the raid boss nerf schedule in that regard.

In fact, part of the race to complete mythic raids is to do so before the higher ilvl gear drops from the sky and more people become capable of clearing it. It’s a relentless tick-tock deadline for those who actually want a challenge while it’s still challenging.

After the first couple of clears, the higher ilvl gear becomes the means by which the elite guilds can put the raid on farm and then start selling carries – which again is the (indirect) means by which the non-elite player clears the difficult content by the gear (and the elite player) makes the content less difficult or even trivial.

So, in that sense, the abundance of high ilvl gear rewards the elite players eventually by making it easier for them to sell carries for gold.

Yeah that hasn’t been the case for quite some time now. I don’t think it will ever again be the case in the standard WoW. We might recapture some of that in Classic WoW after it launches later this summer, but I think that kinda thing is forever dead to WoW in BfA and future expacs.

Not sure – who knows, they may reconsider the entire WoW project and manage to put some of that kind of feeling back into the game, where people recognize effort by the gear someone is wearing. I doubt it. The transmog wardrobe killed that kind of aesthetic a million times over already, and I don’t see any way of taking away transmog without killing subscriptions.