Why Blizz?

Why can’t we have the ability to make macros like this?

/use Mind Blast
/use Smite

Is it really game breaking to use a spammable spell while another is on cd? It’s just a better version of the castsequence macros. Other games have this like Rift. While I don’t play every class I still can’t think a scenario where this would be broken.

December 5, 2006 that became impossible. They were called “fall through” macros and were in the alpha/beta of BC intended to be a workaround for the lockdown Blizzard put on the casting API.

On December 4, 2006, a macro could choose to cast Execute on a player if they were below 20% life, and Mortal Strike otherwise. Or they could choose to cast a debuff on a target if it needed one. Blizzard wanted to stop this.

While fallthrough macros didn’t help in the latter, they neatly solved the former. So Blizzard put a stop to those too.

I get why they did it, people were programming one-button macros to play the game for them and it really was out of hand. But in many regards they did go too far.

1 Like

Pins are your friend too.

I clearly understand what they cannot do. My point is that it isn’t game breaking for what I want and other games have it in place.

It is, based on Blizzard’s definition of what game breaking means. They don’t want macros to be able to make decisions based on cooldown, buffs, or resources.

That’s not relevant.

Just to add to this, Blizzard actively breaks stuff like this. The reason that /castrandom gets “stuck” on abilities if you can’t do them is because they used to be used to create macros that do exactly what the OP wants.