Why Are the Coolest Pets so Mediocre?

I have had SO much fun getting the special battle pets. I love going after them, and I probably always will.

That said, have you noticed that the coolest pets are generally not very good in battles? I don’t do PvP battles, yet, so maybe that’s what I’m missing.

Baa’l is adorable and all who have him KNOW how much time you sank into getting him. I never use this guy.

Jenafur is the best thing ever, but I never use her, either.

Lucy, which I just got, doesn’t appear to be special. Zao, the Celestial yak I just got today (so fun!) doesn’t seem to be unique enough from the other yak/clefthoof/tanky pets to stand out.

Most of the store pets–with very few, notable exceptions–are eye candy but not very useful.

Don’t even get me started on the Sun Darter Hatchling.

I love getting them. I will not stop going after them. I just wish that the hardest pets to get…were the best pets in battles.

Am I missing something or do you guys feel this way, as well?

I just figure it’s a deliberate trade off. On the one hand it’s exciting for many to hunt for the difficult drops or solve the puzzles and they’re rewarded by having pets many people won’t.

But on the other hand for those more interested in battles, it would be very limiting if only the extra cool or rare pets were the only ones needed. I think you see that with the store pets, it’s fine I think when they’re unique models with cool idles or special effects, but if they suddenly became go to pets for battling, people would be justifiably annoyed.

1 Like

I agree that most of the cool pets are weak and most of the ugly pets are strong. It’s unfortunate really.

1 Like

It’s rare that they put much thought into a pet’s moveset generally just taking that which fits thematically from the same pool of abilities. The breeds seem to be mostly randomized. Given the number of generic reskins of the same model versus the number of unique pets which stand out, statistically the former would get more chances to win the lottery of the ideal combination of moves and stats.

For example, Baa’l had only one roll because he’s one of a kind whereas each generic Pandaren elemental was given 3-5 rolls between the recolors from the Timeless Isle, Pandaria RWL, seasonal events, etc. Given enough rolls, at least one is likely to be a Nat 20 resulting in a powerhouse like the Jademist Dancer.

1 Like

I hate to draw this comparison, BUT, I feel it is the same with pokemon, the mythic and legendaries are nice and all (some are ugly) but i’d rather kick butt with my Eevee :smiley:. But it isn’t an option, I need to use the ‘stongest’ which is usually mythic/legendary and at the very least ‘evolved’ ones.

Same with pet battles, it is a shame but I guess they can’t all be equal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah as with any repeatable content of this type, a meta will form and once that takes root the rest of the pets get ignored. It’s probably a good thing that all the cool pets aint also all the meta pets.

On a side note jenafur would be an awesome addition to any dot team. I also saw her being trialled in pvp, though dont know if she made tier or not.

1 Like

Hee hee. The Pet Battle forum is officially my favorite WoW place online, now. Excellent show, sir (and/or ma’am). /wink

I never liked Pokemon, so I assumed I wouldn’t like WoW’s version. I have been so happy to be wrong about that. There are MANY similarities, however, and I think you’re right about this one, too.

2 Likes