Why are tanks doing so much damage in low level dungeons?

Should I just roll as a dps using tank spec?

1 Like

…But why?

Why not just queue as a tank and get faster queues then?
Also no, because you’ll be competing with the real tank for threat.

2 Likes

This has happened a few times in the past.

Blizzard doesn’t care about low level balance and hasn’t for ages. Traditionally as a result a handful of specs have dominated DPS meters in low level dungeons.

1 Like

Does it matter? If that was the case end game then it’s an issue but leveling, I mean it’s dumb but end of the day not of consequence, just means they’re that much more effective of keeping you from getting hit and you still clear the content.

1 Like

I have no idea but I think it’s not that much of an issue but it seems stupid

Before the patch do you know what class did the most damage in low level dungeons?

Resto shammies

1 Like

I know you’re just stating a fact, I’m not saying this directly to you but still…

Ah yes my lvl 15 DPS meter notes, those are important…

Moment you stop being level 10, tanks quickly stop being top damage

I noticed DPS charts are weird for lowbies.

new fresh allied race rogue 20k ahead of me on damage

not sure if i’m bad or that rogue is really good

worrying about tank damage is a waste of time, it only helps the success ratio

the only issue here is dps that have some major ego tied into beating tanks on the dps charts I guess - but that can be ignored

1 Like

I was thinking if I could do 50% more dps as tank then isn’t it faster to do a 4 tank group. Yes I know that it’s not end game and haha leveling dungeons but if you’re not going to answer my question then don’t comment at all?

Apparently your time is not that important. Back button is on the top left corner.

1 Like

Its simple early on tanks are only a couple abilities different to dps. As tanks level they get better defensive options mostly, while dps ramp up their dps mostly.

Blizzard hasn’t balanced low level characters, especially not for dungeons. I assume PvP is also a mess, although that’s always been the case.

I tanked a Pandaria dungeon on the warrior alt I’ve been leveling, level 20 or 21 at the time. The healer couldn’t keep me alive on 2 of the bosses. Some of it may be the healer, but my warrior did not have the tools to survive. Not enough passive damage mitigation or rage generation, and Ignore Pain on a 12 second cooldown or something.

I know it’s not me because I had plenty of gear (all heirlooms except the rings, plus quest rewards in remaining slots) and my main is a warrior (on which I tanked Heroic N’Zoth) so I know how to play the class.

You’ll see other problems in low level dungeons such as characters not having interrupts or key AOE damage abilities / talents.

1 Like

I did a dungeon with a level 10 resto shaman with 2 aff locks 18 and 36 and myself at 40 on another dps and the 10 resto shaman was doing double everyone elses damage :rofl:

tanks have always done a lot of dps in low level LFD dungeons, probably because they’re the first ones to have access to AoE spells in the game

2 Likes

Fun detected?

Early access to AoE I would imagine, most dps don’t get much aoe until very late.

Although if this is the same for tanks, please correct me, as that is my guess, personally I haven’t noticed tanks doing much damage in anything other then aoe, which is where my guess stems from.

I also suspect that the tanks are just better geared since they have much shorter queues so they tend to level through dungeons more and therefore have more dungeon blues matched to their current level and less old quest greens.

Damage is always weird at low-levels; the focus is on leveling at that point, though.

The scaling wasnt tested. Its any low level 10 to 14 that do massive damage. Mid range 25 up, you might die to normal packs its so bad as a tank.

this has to do with alot of things but tanks in general have been kinda strong for awhile. prot warrior for example was one of the better dps classes in bfa and its a tank.
tanks generally have alot of spamable aoe, and high single target damage.
aoe rn is especially really good its why unholy dk, afliction warlock beastmaster etc all the really high aoe foccused specs are doing super well right now and are top of the charts despite the aoe cap change. because aoe damage is just rediculous with the lvl squish
i mean a paladin pulls a pack of mobs and drops his aoe and constantly hits every single thing he pulled right, so if no one else can hit the same mobs that much hes just going to naturally have the highest dps

1 Like