Why are tanks allowed to sell runs?

Tanks charge for groups because they have to deal with people like OP.

14 Likes

Druid tanks are the best 5 man tanks in the game my friend. Paladins aren’t bad either. They’re bad when it comes to content greater than that, and that’s about it.

But I agree. Screwing people out of gold to run the same dungeon they are is greedy and downright slimy.

Good!

Why are non tanks allowed to make boo-hoo post on the forums?

We all want answers

3 Likes

I don’t blame people for not wanting to tank. It is a thankless job & a good chunk of DPS-class/spec players are either toxic or clueless. I won’t be doing any instances until I am in my 50’s with my 1-hnd/shield Warrior, & my Druid will probably try some 5-man tanking (instead of healing) at 60. I won’t be charging anyone for the service, but I also won’t be taking garbage from toxic/stupid players. If you can’t play nice & civilized then you WILL be kicked.

2 Likes

Why? Because they’re selling those runs for in-game items, and there is nothing in the ToU against players choosing whether to give other players items in-game.

Blizzard is hands-off, though, and very clear these are unsupported transactions. They’ll investigate scams, such as the tank taking gold and then logging out, repeating that with multiple players. But say you get halfway into a paid run and the servers crash and are off for over an hour - you never finish the run, but the tank already got the money. No scam.

You don’t like it, but that doesn’t have anything to do with “allowed”.

You actually explained in your last paragraph why tanks are ABLE to sell runs:

There is nothing to fix. There are many things that lead to a shortage of tanks. Adding non-vanilla changes to the game to make druids and paladins better tanks would not magically make more druids and paladins want to tank end-game dungeons, because the real problem tends to be:

• The behavior of random players - herding cats is easy by comparison
  • No longer needing the dungeons once certain gear is obtained
  • Having friends, family, or guilds, so why tank for strangers
  • Wanting to have fun themselves, not just be a tool for others
2 Likes

its one of the bad thing about classic wow i dont like i have never and refuse to pay a tank for a run.

im waiting for the much better classic tbc with a dungeon finder so this isnt an issue.

It’s because it’s slightly more work than spamming frostbolt or the other 1-2 button rotations dps will use in a leveling dungeon. I’m not saying tanking is hard, but I do have to pay attention. I’m expected to know the dungeon, initiate pulls, mark mobs for primary, second, cc if needed, slow down for healer mana, etc. In general tanks have to be slightly more engaged in what’s happening, and sometimes that motivation just isn’t there for me. Sometimes I just want to grind boars in the forest.

Groups very very rarely fall apart with blame getting dumped on DPS. Blame falls on tanks and healers, and that’s pretty much it, and sometimes I just don’t want to deal with being criticized if a run goes poorly.

3 Likes

I have never seen a tank ask for gold for a run…occasionally I see one reserve a first orb on strat live or something like that, but if they want to who is to stop them? It’s a free market.

You’ll be REALLY disappointed to find out Dungeon Finder didnt come out in the form you’re thinking of until later WotLK.

6 Likes

Tanks couldn’t sell if people weren’t so willing to pay.

1 Like

Idk y ppl are getting so upset about a fee for service. If the tank is running the dungeon for gear, yeah I wouldn’t pay him. But if a raid geared tank is coming to brd and needs nothing, there is nothing wrong for compensating him for his time.

3 Likes

Oh it’s this horse again.

Just make sure you bury it when you all are done, I don’t want to be tripping on it for days.

6 Likes

Was TBC the one with a daily “welfare epic” dungeon quest and the meeting stones acted as summoning stones?

lol and that’s how the shortage happen, OP

1 Like

As a bear tank, we are actaully the strongest tank to do dungeons. Remember bear tanks will have over 4k more armor and atleast 1k more hp than a warrior tank. The only reason warriors are better is the crushing blows the raid boss have which not all the raid bosses have it. To answer you either question why tanks can sell runs for gold, I mean I could a rolled a DPS like every other player, but I choose to tank for my guild. With limited amounts of ways to make gold, gold to tank is very reasonable. You don’t have to pay me… but you will :blush:

1 Like

tanks have to sell runs for 2 main reasons.

1. they CANT farm gold as effectively as other classes, anything you can do a hunter can do better.

2. they are the least played role and as such without them your end game dungeon doesnt happen. they need litereally nothing from the dungeon and you’re asking them to commit an hour or so of their play time that they could be doing other things on for YOU instead.

Warrior tanks gotta make money somehow

1 Like

In addition to all that, 5-mans in WoW Classic are also so easy that there are a million, trillion ways that you can clear them without a traditional “tank”. You can probably have a holy paladin tank most of them. Or resto druid. Or a shaman. Or even pets. Or arms warriors using 2-handers. Or whatever. They are not hard.

This is especially true for levelling dungeons. When I play my alts, I’ve had rogues and shadowpreists and warlocks tank dungeons. It doesn’t matter.

It you need everything to be optimal all the time, then you get to sit there for hours looking for the exact right comp.

2 Likes

TBC introduced what the playerbase first called welfare epics, but if we do wrath at the last patch then the dungeon finder will be in from the opening of the xpac, the instance teleport to the dungeon version came in 3.3.

Yep. If people really put their mind to it, they can figure out ways to do it without a traditional tank. It’s even fun to do so. Get a sense of amusement for solving the problem in a different way.