Why are Rasta/Talanji so hostile towards Bwomsandi?

My troll lore outside of this expansion isn’t very good. Rasta probably signs his own death warrant by being so uppity with Ol’ Bwommy. Talanji is looking to be just as angry about the whole thing, but atleast her dead dad gives her an excuse.

Is he considered hated by most Zandis, or something?

1 Like

He pretty much didn’t give Rastakhan much choice, and Talanji had no choice in the matter.

3 Likes

I mean, the first thing Bwon asks Talanji is to murder the leader of her brand new allies.

Which also makes you wonder- why does Bwon, who is clearly an agent of the old gods and a future boss, want Sylvanas dead so badly?

2 Likes

No.

He likely sees her causing too much death, which would shift the balance. He explains this in the Vol’jin storyline.

6 Likes

I don’t think so. If you talk to the Ty’Jin on the boat he mentions that they’ve been worshiping him for a long time. I think the issue is that he’s not seen as trustworthy. He’ll do anything for enough souls. He looks after the dead (which is why they respect and pray to him) but his only interest in the living is getting more souls.

For Talanji in particular, I think her problem stems from two things. First, she’s not over the death of Rezan. She was most likely raised not only worshiping him and also second to Rastakhan in his eyes. Secondly, she was forced into a pact with him without her knowledge, much less consent.

9 Likes

The royal house of Zandalar has, historically, paid its allegience to Rezan, Loa of Kings. Bwonsamdi resents this as a slight. Also, it doesn’t look like his temple has been kept up very well. When Rezan bites it, he’s in a position to drive a hard bargain. Rastakhan makes a bad deal, really, binding Talanji to Bwonsamdi’s service after him. Rezan had been her Loa. Now, she’s stuck with one that the Zandalari don’t seem especially comfortable with.

Bwonsamdi is Death - an uncomfortable concept, and an inevitable, unavoidable fact of life, that kings share with commoners. A big time deal, to be sure, but hardly exclusive or aristocratic. For a heavily caste-based society, it’s a hard pill for hereditary royalty to swallow.

13 Likes

i used to like him but now i can’t wait to actually fight him or just get rid of him.

the whole wanting the soul of a warchief is fishy and the way he asked is just super shadey. that alone should have raised every red flag.

he’s clearly someone’s else’s minion

1 Like

He openly says that he’s working for someone else when he first realized that he can’t find Vol’jin’s soul. It’s not exactly a secret.

2 Likes

He is after Sylvanas’ soul because she is super sketchy. Also, undeath intrudes on his domain. He’s a natural adversary. Maybe she’s meddling in stuff that is dangerous to him? He’s not going to tell us as much. No, I think in this case, I am going to trust Bwonsamdi. He seems to actually keep his bargains, and that’s more than “Free will? LOL, psych!” Sylvanas does.

6 Likes

well he also wanted the former warchiefs soul and asked for it in a way that was 100% scummy

1 Like

The way I see Bwonsamdi is something akin to a loan shark. Not very trustworthy, unclear intentions, and a bit mischievous.

If you’re in trouble and need to get bailed out, he’s the guy you call but expect a heavy price.

The last thing royalty wants is to worship a loan shark, I imagine. With Loas like Rezan, Gonk, or Pa’ku, loyalty and devotion grant you favor but Bwonsamdi seems to always want a bit more for less.

If I was Talanji, I’d probably view him as a pest that I got involuntarily involved with. I know he doesn’t have my best interest at heart.

2 Likes

Going by what we saw with Helya in the Storm Peaks, he may not have a choice. The PC and the Val’kyr were both freed from her domain because they fulfilled the bargain she made despite the fact that she didn’t intend to keep it.

1 Like

Oh! I misunderstood. You meant Vol’jin. Bwonsamdi isn’t nice, for sure. But I think he has reasons, and a plan. And I hope that means we aren’t done with old Vol’jin yet. I liked him.

1 Like

He doesn’t actually want her dead. Well at least he doesn’t want Talanji to do it. It was a test. If she’s so disloyal as to stab her ally in the back as the first thing she does as queen then he wouldn’t want anything to do with her.

3 Likes

Good point. He didn’t seem very disappointed when she refused.

Personally, I felt like he was trying to amuse himself with the possibility of Talanji going at odds with Sylvanas. He seems like the type to play those kind of games for his own amusement.

3 Likes

well he’s tried to get both of their souls

he may or may not have a legitimate gripe with sylvanas and not want her soul for whoever his master is but the whole Vol’jin thing kinda makes that seem like it’s more than personal

In Rasta’s case, he literally sold his entire bloodline out as part of a bargain with Bwonsamdi. He more than anyone had a right to be hostile towards Bwon if he suspected Bwon wasn’t fulfilling his half of the bargain.

And for those who haven’t fought Rasta in Battle of Dazar’alor, go do LFR. Rasta realizes entirely too late that Bwon isn’t going to keep his side of the deal.

I don’t know if Talanji was aware of how that all panned out. I just know that she’s officially stuck in a bargain with a loa who’s willing to let his half of it go unfulfilled.

He signed his death warrant by making the pact in the first place. Bwonsamdi never wanted rasta, he wanted talanji the whole time.

Now that’s where you’re wrong. Bwonsamdi is still upholding his side of the deal. The deal never said he had to keep Rasta alive.

5 Likes

Bwomsandi has never come off as a trustworthy being.

Bwonsamdi also doesn’t like that Sylvanas keeps bringing almost everybody she kills back from the dead.

2 Likes