Why Are Dwarves Untouchable?

I wish Wildhammer Dorfs were given the allied race treatment or just given to us instead of Dark Irons. Wildhammers are the best Dorfs in WoW hands down.

4 Likes

I think it’s a mixture of things.

-Their main territories are too isolated from the rest of the world (especially the Horde) to really matter. They’re surrounded by mountains in the middle of EK. There’s just no feasible way to approach them. Additionally, and partially due to their isolation, they don’t really have any vested interests or land disputes outside of these areas. Aside from Alterac Valley, there’s no real contested Dwarf land.

-They pretty much neutralized or whitewashed anything that would be an antagonist to or instigate action against the Ironforge Dwarfs. The Explorer’s League is no longer antagonistic to the Tauren and Horde races, and the Dark Irons were really only a threat to Ironforge in Vanilla. So, there’s no one left who has a credible reason to specifically hate the dwarves.

-At least partially relevant, they no longer have Vanilla Magni leading them.
Never played Alliance in Vanilla, but my understanding is that Magni was a pretty crappy leader and father. Now, we have the dwarf council, which doesn’t really do much of anything. Moria’s whole arc is basically turning the Dark Irons into sort of good-guys, and the other two dwarf leaders exist.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s a shame they were never turned into an Allied Race. That being so, Blizzard did recently confirm in a recent liveblog that playable Dwarves can canonically include Wildhammer, so that’s at least something.

For those interested:

3 Likes

I agree, Darnassus was way better.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Why change what works?

It’s sort of implied by the name.

And You imagine someone coming up with “Dwarves” 6 foot tall, fine golden Curly locks and speaks with a Indian accent?

2 Likes

You didn’t lose Lordaeron, you lost the Undercity. And Teldrassil was not just a city.
And if you want a fair exchange, we didn’t conquer Lordaeron anyway, so you don’t get to “conquer” Ironforge.

7 Likes

This is untrue. The Alliance stormed through, destroyed Lordaeron all the way to Undercity’s front door – including Brill itself – and now the Horde has no active presence in Lordaeron at all.

1 Like

His story consisted outside of the game in Stories.
In game, he was preoccupied defending his city from their age old enemies.
It wasn’t that long ago that the Darkiron swore to take Ironforge at any cost. That cost being unleashing a Elemental Fire Lord on Azeroth.

Magni wasn’t a bad father. The only example of that we were given is the manga in which moira is retroactively justified for not giving a crap about magni and using his name for power and clout.

Darnassus was one of the coolest cities in the game, aesthetically… A mix of the greco-roman and I think korean architecture, with those cool pools every where? Visually appealing and chill vibes to say the least. It’s lore however was, let’s be honest, garbage. The Night Elves grew not only the tree, but built the entire civilization inside it in a manner of like what, a year?? Why is the oldest playable race living in a city that’s like only a year old? Darnassus and Teldrassil both should have been ancient homelands.

11 Likes

Interestingly enough, the term “Dwarf” could have come from a lot of words, but none of them seemed to imply that they were short. At some point in retellings of tales about spirits skilled at smithing and mining, people started to think of them as small/short beings and it’s from there that we get the meaning.

2 Likes

Setting a siege against Ironforge is a really, really bad idea.

It has one entrance that can be closed off, and the last time the Horde tried? The Dwarves just shut their gates. – Now they have a tram leading back to Stormwind and Dark Iron Mole Machines so they can field armies directly behind any ground force that tries to break in.

It’d lead to a scenario where a lot of Horde players are crying about how unfair it is, because it’s a conflict that they would realistically lose.

15 Likes

While I agree the lore is silly for a capital, I like the whole regrowing of a world tree thing. I think the Nelf Capital should have been at Mount Hyjal, and Teldrassil should have been growing in Classic.

oh my christ. the idea that a city literally cannot fail and is undefeatable is trite and boring.
also, you know, wrong.

Step 1: Nightborne port into tram. Set explosives.
Step 2: Teleport out. Remotely detonate them. Flood the tram.
Step 3: Tons of portals into Ironforge.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit.

1 Like

Not a Question of “literally cannot fail and is undefeatable”, only it would be very, very difficult to do.

Step 4: Port into the Awaiting Army
Step 5: Total failure of a Assault and the last time the Horde tries something so stupid.

8 Likes

Elder Scrolls. I don’t think they were the short dwarves.

Doomhammer tried it, and it was epic… but, he was starting with Stormwind already under his belt.

This game is far from realistic. My idea anyways was that both cities would get occupied, but not destroyed, and return to their respective owners by the end of expansion. The destruction of capital cities turned out to be a cheap gimmick which Blizzard had no intention of following up.

I mean, if this were feasible, then what would be the point of any fortifications at all? Why build a wall if you can just teleport beyond it?

I think it should just be assumed that Teleportation/Portals is not logistically feasible for the mobilization of entire armies in a short period of time. I also think it should be assumed that most fortification have magical warding in place to counter magical subterfuge.

Otherwise, the strategy you laid out could be used against every and any fortification in WoW.

15 Likes

If they know you’re coming, possibly.
So don’t let them know you’re coming.

Seemed feasible enough for the void elves.

After the walls had been breached, through, I suppose a case can be made that say Void Rifts are not the same as conventional portals… Which might be why the Void Elves were so instrumental in the Alliance War Campaign.