Why are blood elves so popular?

So here is what I don’t quite get.

-Blood elves are basically humans with pointy ears and mana addictions.
-Yet void elves/high elfs are very similar, but are only played but like 5% of the fanbase.
-Yet humans and almost every other form of elf in this game aren’t even half the size of the blood elf playerbase.

Something just doesn’t add up to me. I can’t see why they would be significantly more popular than humans or night elves or any of the other elf variants.

5 Likes

You think you want the answer to this question but you really don’t.

60 Likes

People like Elves. Its a fantasy race with a lot of history and lore.

26 Likes

I’ll speak for myself but imo blood elves are really classy

4 Likes

Elves like them (light skinned, attractive) are a classic fantasy race and already popular off the bat. Blood elves had a history even before WoW, having been big in the WC games. They’re the only ones of that aesthetic on the Horde so that gains strong appeal too.

Lots of factors. Void elves are a relatively recent addition. No allied race is going to outpace blood elves or any original core race who have been here since BC. They have a huge time advantage. And some people are still not happy the void ones aren’t “high elf” enough.

But yeah! Alliance races have similar appeals to each other. I think if blood elves went Alliance in BC they would be popular for sure, but not like 50% of the faction. They just stand out so sharply from the other Horde races that it draws more attention from them.

28 Likes

I’m going to be honest here but both Ne’s and blood elves were a joke and were referred to as drug users and wimps.

1 Like

Elves are a fantasy trope. They are very ideally attractive. People like attractive fantasy characters like a starving fatman loves fudge and peanut butter.

Sex appeal is the oldest trick in the history of commerce.

21 Likes

Elves are like the pop music in WoW, they’re for the lowest common denominator.

9 Likes

In most Asian country, Blood Elves is pretty much the only race that has the perfect body proportion.

I know many American will say Kultiran is the normal one, but different stroke for different folks.

10 Likes

They’re a lot more sleek and elegant looking than just “humans with pointy ears”

I’d argue they’re popular because they appeal to society’s typical standards of beauty

Thin
Lanky
Long beautiful hair
Perfectly chiseled facial features
Pretty eyes
Perfect skin

The list goes on

10 Likes

Why do players ask for BE druids repeatedly? Every time the answer is: I think all the other races are ugly and I don’t want to play them.

So… Why do so many people play BE?

6 Likes

That’s mean to Americans

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s a wide number of reasons . . . but the most common I’ve seen are

A. They are on the more “popular” faction (universal answer)
B. They are the only attractive Horde Race
C. “If I’m gonna stare at a butt for hours on end, it might as well be a hot girl’s butt.” Which is totally not a creepy reason at all.

Again I’m sure there’s loads of other reasons such as their backstory / lore, their racials, to spite folks who wanted alliance high elves, ect, but I’m not gonna list every single reason I’ve seen here.

7 Likes

They had better models than the older core races. They were pretty much “better humans”. Isn’t human like the 2nd most played race?

2 Likes

When Bood Elves entered the scene, the Horde was comprised of lumpy malformed hunchbacks. Horde but not dysfunctionally hideous? Of course people signed up in droves. That was the entire point, really - the Vanilla Horde didn’t have a sustainable population.

Yeah, you’ll have your loud, scream-y fans and nostalgia drunk hipsters who to this day refuse to accept the Blood Elves as Horde, but the numbers don’t lie. No matter how many spikes you put on your mudhut and how guttural your screams of “lok’tar ogar,” the vanilla Horde was always going to have niche, limited appeal. For most, “lumpy, savage hunchback” is a Halloween costume, not a fulltime identity. Those people are just loud - not important.

Also, be honest - the Blood Elves aren’t just Humans with pointy ears - they’re better proportioned, idealized humans with pointy ears. The humans of WoW, at least the men, are all lumbering shaved gorillas. Even if you wanted the “bland, human experience,” the ultra-stiff, roided out humans aren’t really all that appealing of an option. Not in the face of the Blood Elves.

As for the Night Elves, even Blizzard sees them as the red-headed stepchild of the Alliance. Their design was always slapdash - seriously, you can find articles and interviews from the designers of WC3 who said they made them purple for, “some reason.”

Why are Night Elves the colors they are? For the lols, apparently. It’s another non-standard, weird form that’s always going to have that caveat. Compared to a race that doesn’t, that has broader appeal, the numbers will skew accordingly.

As for the Void Elves? … They were a mistake, plain and simple.

Blood Elves simply hit that perfect sweet spot of design, not too weird, classically beautiful, a hint of edginess for to pander to that crowd, deep roots to WoW Lore, and just a whole lot of appeal all around. Why the numbers are what they are isn’t hard to see at all.

19 Likes

Add Be and druids abilities and you see why.Invincible traits .

Wrong. I most definitely want the answer.

I thought they made the nelves purple for their own flavor of dark elves.

Well that’s easy. Because people want to be humans and people want to play Horde. So they pick Blood Elf.

4 Likes

Void elves are an AR that have to be unlocked, have a smaller class selection, and are on the Alliance.

1 Like