/who not working?

Has anyone else noticed that /who isn’t working properly? I literally used /who on my own guild to test it, and it said I was the only one on, however there were 5 other people on at that point. Anyone know what’s going on?

1 Like

It hasn’t worked properly for at least a year.

3 Likes

I’ve been reporting this bug for at least a year. At this point, I don’t think it’s getting fixed.

Prove me wrong, Blizzard.

1 Like

Bumping this because it’s still broke in this, the Year of Our Lord 2022.

I did some investigation about the results from the /who command.
I logged onto 5 of my wow accounts on chars in my guild and tried the /who command.
I found that when a char logs-on then that char will always get the same /who results whether they are grouped or not, in the same zone or not, or in the same shard or not.
My chars consistently got back one of two sets of possible results.
Maybe the /who server hashes your player’s name and uses that to choose which one of two possible sub-sets of the population logged-on that it returns, up to max 50 results.
So with a basic /who search (no filter arguments), one char might get half of the current zone, but another char in the same zone will consistently get the same results or the other half in that zone.
So 3 of my chars would get the same guild/zone set of results and the other 2 chars would get the other half, consistently, no matter what location/group/zone/shard they were in.
Same with a /who guildName search, one char will get one half of the guild online and another char will get the same half or the other half of the guild list online, always, but never the full guild online list.

The n- name qualifier does not work at all. The z- zone qualifier only gave me half of the zone population , or some consistent random sample of the zone population, up to a max 50 results out of the population in the zone.
However if i use the g- (guildname) qualifier, eg /who g-guildname then i always get the full list of all the guild members online.
Also if i use the x- (exact) qualifier, eg /who x-playername then i always get the full details for that logged-on player, even he is a low level char like lvl 4.

Use the /who g-guildName command format to see all chars online for a guild.
For checking a specfic char, such as a guild applicant or even low level chars below lvl 10, use the /who x-playerName command format, it works!
This avoids the /who bugs of getting half-of-the-guild-only results or often getting “0 players total” results!

4 Likes

The /who results list will only include players on your own realm, not cross-realm players, and they will be a sub-set of the players that match that filter, not every one that matches.

The bug is that since 8.3 approx, all the /who results are a sub-set of the full list of players that match your filter criteria.
The bug is that it seems to take a hash value of your player name and return only a sub-set list of players that correspond to your player name.
So the unqualified name, zone, class, race and level filtered results only give you a sub-set of the full list, even if the full list would be less than the max 50 results!
This is confusing and annoying to everyone!

Only the ‘g-’ (guild) filter will give the full guild list of results and the x- (exact) filter will give you an exact player name matched result.
Note: the ‘g-guildName’ filter will return a list of all players logged-on in all guilds which have a match to guildname in their full guild name.
So you might see players in the results that are not in your guild but are in other guilds which have a similar guild name, which match on part of their guild name.

Note: The x- (exact) filter has never been documented but is the only filter that works for a specific player on your realm.

It would appear that this is working again, based on my preliminary testing.