Whiskeypally's crashes

On the latest drivers and still experienced a crash after an hour or so. I’m actually running the game from the .exe without battle.net even running. Does it run in the background somehow and still crash my computer?

I don’t understand how an animated video, from an app that should not even be running, is the cause of this crash. I also don’t understand how the Nvidia driver could be to blame, when I’ve been using that driver for weeks without issue until the recent update to the battle.net launcher. This also only happens when playing World of Warcraft specifically. I can play any other combination of games simultaneously on both monitors without ever crashing my pc.

If the Nvidia driver really is faulty, are you guys in communication with them regarding a fix?

Hey Whiskeypally,

I went ahead and moved your latest post to a new thread so we can troubleshoot your specific issue directly. The previous thread that you posted in was for people experiencing system crashes / BSODs only when loading up the Battle.net desktop app. That specific issue has been resolved.

From what you’re describing you are able to get into the game and play for an hour or so, which would be a different issue than the previous problem with Battle.net. It also would not be affecting the game if you are launching from the exe directly.

Can you post your DXDIAG so we can take a look at that?

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. In the Run window type dxdiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DirectX window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and save it to your Desktop. Open the new dxdiag file with Notepad.
  5. In the posting section hit the </> button for “Preformatted text” then paste (Ctrl+V) the DXDIAG contents. That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this due to the length of the DXDIAG, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the direct link with us instead. Use the </> button as well in order to share the link.

https://pastebin.com/pybd8g6W

Thanks!

I see two main issues here, which may stem from the same root cause.

#1 - Blue screen crashes, Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred.

1. Event Name: BlueScreen
  2. Response: Not available
  3. Cab Id: 0
    Problem signature:
  4. P1: 124

#2 - LiveKernelEvent code 141 - A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

1. Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
  2. Response: Not available
  3. Cab Id: 0
    Problem signature:
  4. P1: 141

Since the crashes are occurring after playing for a while, you are most likely looking at some kind of system instability, problem with the BIOS, or a hardware issue. Blue screen crashes aren’t something we can troubleshoot directly, but we do have some basic steps you can try here.

While the issue doesn’t occur with other games, one thing to keep in mind is that every game will utilize the hardware and drivers differently, so it is entirely possible for an issue to manifest in one game but the game client itself isn’t the issue. We have not seen anything to indicate that the latest Nvidia driver 452.06 is causing this issue with WoW (otherwise these forums would be flooded with reports of the same thing happening).

I would probably start by removing the second monitor, and testing the game with just a single monitor plugged in. If the Nvidia card is overclocked at all try removing that as well. Debug mode can help with removing overclocks.

If this is a pre-built system I’d contact the manufacturer for support with this to see what else they can recommend. If it was one built on your own you may have to do some hardware troubleshooting such as re-seating the GPU and checking all the cables/connections.

1 Like

I ran the game with a single monitor, with my Nvidia card in debug mode. The crash occurred within about 10 minutes of entering the game. I crashed 2 more times this morning within seconds of entering the game. I’ve been monitoring my hardware while in game and there’s not really anything unusual leading up to the crash.

I really doubt that this is a hardware issue when I can run games 10x more demanding of my hardware than classic wow with no problems whatsoever. I guess I’ll wait for the next Nvidia driver update as I really don’t know what else to do at this point.

Display Memory: 16244 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8079 MB
   Shared Memory: 8165 MB

try not sharing. 8079 dedicated is pleanty.

I don’t think I’m actually sharing any memory, or at least I can’t disable it in BIOS. My multi-monitor integrated graphics is disabled therefor I cannot change any VRAM sharing.

Sometimes the 141 errors reflect a corrupted graphics driver install. We’ve often seen that fixed by a clean install of the drivers after using DDU.

Also, you may want to check for BIOS updates - it looks like your system is on 1.5 and the current version is 1.9.

1 Like

Thanks Zungar this was actually the fix I believe. My BIOS were ~2 years old on my MSI Z370. I updated to the most recent BIOS and have not experienced a crash after a few hours of gameplay.

1 Like