Which to upgrade first, GPU or CPU?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814930010&Description=rx%20570&cm_re=rx_570-_-14-930-010-_-Product

10 dollars more and would have run circles around the 1050ti, it’s basically a 1060, and comes with two games.

No one suggested a 1050ti for a reason, they’re REALLY bad for gaming. :frowning: :frowning:

2 Likes

Better than my GT 740. For 10 dollars more, you could have had this, or that…we could do that forever.

Price to performance ratio though, that 10 dollars would have gotten you 20%+ more performance… and if you sold the 2 games you could have had the card for about 40-60 bucks /shrug, but to each their own.

I’m just trying to keep people from wasting their money. Which the 1050 and 1050 ti straight up is, may as well just feed it to a paper shredder.

1 Like

lol nvidia marketing is real.

This post is proof positive, despite being told repeatedly by numerous different posters that the 570 is better in every way…

1050 ti.

yep.

1 Like

No one said anything comparing the 1050ti to the rx570? In fact, a 1050ti wasn’t mentioned in this thread until I said I ordered one.

You may keep your self-satisfied chortles to yourself.

You’re not my mom

No one mentioned it because it’s bad? I mean, feel free to waste money. If you’re going to come in and ask for advice, and then not follow it and go for something completely off the wall without researching, why bother asking in the first place?

No, not really. But hey, if you wanna cop an attitude when people were trying to help, you do you. The rest of us will take note of how awesome you are in your ignorance.

1 Like

Some of the biggest things i have seen help game play is

1. Storage system
    Grab a decent ssd for your wow directory
    Look into the older Samsung evo pro ssds they are fairly cheep.
    I use an 850 evo pro 256 gig on my rig just for wow and other games.
    Believe it or not it will really help your response in wow
    I suggest the 850 pro series due to the warranty they supply with that unit.

Graphics
it is not everything but it can cause bottlenecks in the game
If you do not mind having the setting low then it is not as important than a cpu

CPU Mb Ram
Okay now this is a heavy hitter as i just found out with my latest upgrade.
It can be a serious game changer to be honest.
I went from an older fx black series < 6 core > cant remember the number
to the first gen Ryzen-thread ripper and added 32 gigs ram on my system <not really needed 8 gigs will get you what you are looking for>
The prices of the first gen is way below the intel comparable processor and it includes extra cores

Question is how soon do you plan to do a Mobo/Cpu Upgrade.
It does not make much sense to put out $70 for a cpu if you plan to change in near future <60-120 days>
If this is the case I would suggest for you to hang in there and save up to move to the ryzen platform
I only say Ryzen because it is cost effective and more power for the $
but be warned avoid anything lower than the Ryzen 7 or you will not see what you are looking for in performance boosts.

So in conclusion
If you are looking to help boost your load times and responsiveness somewhat.
Look into the SSD i mentioned

I would have suggested a ram increase but with the limitations of ddr2 and the slots available to you on your motherboard you would be just band-aiding your situation.

The Fx line was / is a good line with the limitations in their multi threading but ryzen has truly implemented multi threading and really is an AMD answer to Intel without emptying your pockets.

I know you dont want to hear that there is only so much you can eek out of your build but being that you are still on ddr2 this makes the motherboard alone archaic and soon the games are going to outgrow your system.
So honestly if it was me,
I would grab the ssd first to make game play more tolerable and start saving up for new mobo cpu and ram
Dont band-aid the situation slowly build your system that can do what you want it to do.

This being said… the RX 570 is a nice card what is the ram on the card as you might have incompatibilities or possible bottle necks have you checked to see if there is any conflicts with what you currently have?

btw keep an eye on newegg they have been doing crazy deals on Ryzen and amd cards lately.

Thank you for your input!
I am, however, using 16gigs of ddr3. I started with a mobo that maxed out at 4 gigs of ddr2(it was an old business pc), with my Phenom II x4 945 and the GT740. Just swapping mobo and ram let me go from setting on 2, to settings on 5, and getting 40+ FPS. I’m running the game from a 128g SSD and I just want to be able to play at higher settings and keep a decent frame rate.
I chose the 1050ti based on price, my 480 watt PSU, and the fact that I already have a 6 pin GPU connector, but not an 8.
I will probably start working on a new build next year.

Technically OP is right, a bunch of us said RX 570 but didn’t mention outright that it beats the 1050 Ti at a lower cost. I suppose we just assumed it. And OP is right that RX 570’s are 8pin (I don’t even know if a 6 pin exists). So he’d be limited to a RX 470 6pin, which I’m assuming are mostly reference designs.

So given the constraints, I don’t see the 1050 Ti as the terrible option some people presented.

1 Like

Using a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter that you can grab for like 3 bucks works great on the 570, no need to worry about that.

At worst you could also do 2x molex to 1x 8pin, if his psu is old enough to only have a 6pin it’s probably got way more molex than he’d ever need.

nice devil’s advocate,

but the reality is

come to forum, ask question

recommended get item A

ignores everything, gets item P

2 Likes

And then sometimes come back and wonder why expectations aren’t there

1 Like

There’s usually a a few videos on video cards vs each other that can help you decide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNXm9Qt9dA Too late now but Google is also a great tool.

No, just no.

8pin PCIe power is rated for 150W. 6pin PCIe power is rated for 75W. The more you pull from the 75W spec, the higher a chance of catastrophic failure.

Tell that to all the people reporting it’s working 100%

1 Like

People do a lot of ‘unsafe’ things that work ‘most’ of the time. Do you want to be the guy where it blew up on?

If something works 99 out of 100 times, I’ll do it.

And that doesn’t change the fact that he can use 2 molex for it which would work just fine.

1 Like

Yea, there’s so much wrong with that statement.