Which spec is your favorite and why?

Just boosted this guy, trying to decide what spec to play. Which one do you like and why?

Affliction is my favorite butā€¦My favorite part of the game is mythic+ and itā€™s not very good there. Or at least I havenā€™t been able to figure out how to do good damage on trash to make bringing me not a liability on 13+ keys.

Demonology is fun if you donā€™t have to move much lol. It feels like this spec is punished harshly for having to move. Also Explosive Potential has really altered the play style of the spec in unfun ways.

Destruction is just not fun to me. Itā€™s boring and playing a spec that revolves around two or three buttons is unappealing to me.

1 Like

right now its demo. Itā€™s the closest thing to having a ranged toon with different minions with me to do damageā€¦Necromancers :ā€™(

Demo in terms of fun just because itā€™s a steady flow of resources. I would suggest playing each just to see what you might like.

In every game i play i am a summoner for some reason. Warlock, in d3 i was WD/necro, in PoE im a summoner.

1 Like

Yup same hereā€¦ Mage in Everquest, Summoner/Mage in FFXI.

Iā€™m probably gonna be a weird/rare person where I picked warlock because of IRL interests.

So IRL though Iā€™m in med school, I majored in religious studies and sociocultural studies, and a big hobby/focus of mine in research was the occult, folklore, and magical systems. Specifically, I love monsters and demons, especially grimoire practices in Western Esoteric Tradition.

So I picked warlock because of that IRL interest.

I have always PVE-mained Demonology also because of that reason. I love the lore of it first and foremost, independent on class/spec design. Thatā€™s my motivation also behind picking blood elves, and in general my motivation behind any RPG I play that gives me autonomy on race or class or appearance or specialization etc. Demonology fed into my real life interests of studying grimoires and the people who used them and continued them across history.

Now in terms of PVP specifically Iā€™ve almost always have played Affliction due to the ā€œeaseā€ of the spec with instant dots and short cast times.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always preferred affliction. The idea of inflicting ailments on foes that eat away at their life force has always intrigued me. I like the playstyle of dot management too. It allows you to always be doing something . ā€œABCā€ Always be castingā€¦ Whether its a dot refresh or a filler spell there is ALWAYS something to do even while moving.

Demonology is the spec i always go back to currently. Affliction is frustrating because the lack of damage our dots do to targets but I do like playing it in arenas at times because it still has itā€™s uses.

Demonology is fun in pvp and pve, just the hard cast times are annoying. Luckily with glyph of shadow succubus, its a bit more fun in pvp because of the reduced shadow bolts.

Destruction I have a hard time playing for more than an hour because its so boring. Does great damage, but that means nothing if Iā€™m not having fun while doing it.

Demonology. But it got nerfed to the ground and Affliction has been bad through all of BfA.
The only viable spec for end game is Destruction, which isnā€™t exactly boring but Iā€™d rather be summoning minions.

Demo hands down even after the ā€œMeta Incidentā€ā€¦Players can spit on me for playing it if they want but its my home spec. I just feel demons are the main purpose to a warlock, without them shouldnā€™t I just play a mage?
Iā€™m mostly just irked with it because of the interrupt problem currently.

Destro the green fire is and has always been gorgeous to me Iā€™m super biased towards lime green tho

2 Likes

Ya I have the green fire from ages ago still activeā€¦it does ā€œnothingā€ on demo.
It did use to work with hellfire on meta form in demo though.

U still get burning rush

Aff is my favorite, but I canā€™t get enough damage out of it right now so I play destruction.

1 Like

Destruction is my all time fave flavour wise. Chaotic energies flow though you and chaos bolts are coming out. But itā€™s a shame to see a fun quick and engaging spec become 4 button builder spender with cooldowns.

I prefer affliction, however the spec has lacking the tools needed to perform well, doesnt feel like it use to be, you suppouse to be feared as a warlock, now you are the easy kill and first choice to be killed.

Toss up between SM/Ruin and Nightfall/Conflag

2 Likes

Demo is extremely satisfying to play.

My only wish was that we (via talents?) could opt out from the disposable imps.

I feel locks get enough flak as it is, so I always flinch when we turn on each other and start calling the other specs ā€˜boringā€™. Youā€™ll obviously have more fun with whatever youā€™re good at.

For me thatā€™s destro. Maybe itā€™s the cleave, maybe itā€™s the damage, maybe Iā€™m just used to itā€¦ but mostly itā€™s the spectacle. If Iā€™m on an alt fighting a rare, if I see a big green ball of fire coming from behind me, I know everything will be all right.

3 Likes