which pc is better out of the 2

Hello guys im looking for advice on two computers that im curently looking to buy my price limit is in the area of 1200 to 1300 dollars. The first one is a HP omen desktop. It has a intel core 7th gen i7 7700 processor 16 gigabytes of ram and the graphics card is an Nvidia geforce gtx 1070 . The second computer is also hp omen . And that one has an. intel core 8th gen i7 8700 with 256gbs SSD and 1tb HDD and the graphics card is an Nvidia geforce gtx 1060 witch would be a downgrade from the other pc . But with the second pc it will upgrade with a ssd and a newer processor . Ok sorry for the long !@# list but help would be greatly appreciated . Also note im not interested in building a pc and i would like to run wow on medium to high settings while i atleast get 80 frames per second . Also i dont know to much about this stuff so thank you
1 Like
Sorry im only going to buy one of those computers but i want to know witch one is better and will run the game better and at higher settings
1 Like
I'd get the 8700 and upgrade the GPU at a later date. The 1060 should still be fine for awhile.
1 Like

Tough choice if you want higher graphic settings. You can always sell the 1060 and pick up a better card down the road.

Look at this site for some good deals as well. https:// slickdeals .net/deals/desktop/
atm the alien ware and the Skytech look good though the Alienware psu with a 1080 is concerning.

i would definitely recommend building one. i put together a parts list just now that included an i7-8700k, gtx 1070, 500gb SSD, 1TB hard drive, 16gb ram for $1200. So you get the best of everything (can’t link it here sadly)

but to answer your original question, you always want the build with the better processor every time.

Why cant you link it? Not that linking is that reader friendly - just put it in-line. If you’re using PCPartpicker, there is a little button at the top with a “T” in it. Hit that, cut and paste. Doneski. Put it in [ quote] [/ quote] tags for ease of reading if you want.

If you’re playing at 1080p / HD and have no plan on upgrading your resolution, most games rely heavily on the CPU. To further that, WoW naturally already is a semi heavy CPU-based game, vs utilizing much of GPU (until you tweak specific in game settings).

So the 1060 or 1070 would both be fine, and with the changes coming soon for the game to use more than 2 cores, and actually use true multi-threading, you can see your FPS jump upwards of 10-30+ with that i7, so either GPU would suffice!

So it comes down to you saving around $100 to maybe spend towards something else, or having the 1070 and possibly embracing going QHD / 1440p.

:slight_smile:

Guess you don’t read the new forums guidelines have you

Can you please link the instructions to ignore on the new forum so I can put you back on my ignore list? Thanks, You

2 Likes

I know right?

ANyway, then just post it in-line. In fact… great. Less links to external parts list and more in-line parts list where you can actually read them. Sounds good to e.

Ok so the thing is im putting one of the 2 computers on a payment plan because i dont have the money to just out right buy the thing. Thank you everone for the feed back i appreciate all the info you guys gave. Also Because i dont know to much about computers so i was looking for others advice

The current game does not utilize the GPU (much). You will never get 80 fps on a PC without a ridiculous CPU, because that’s the bottleneck in WoW.

I hear that’s going to change soon, but I don’t know when.

8th gen released fairly recently and is the best you can get. The first one has a better graphics card, but I’d get the better CPU as I believe the difference in CPU power outweighs in overall performance. Not to mention you wanna have a current gen motherboard anyway that will support the new hardware that’ll release in the future.

i would like to run wow on medium to high settings while i atleast get 80 frames per second

Anything over 60 is redundant. Does it say if it’s the 3 or 6gb variant? With a 3gb 1060 you’re looking at FPS around the 40’s on max…the benchmarks I’m looking at are using mid range CPU’s though so idk how much higher you’d get with an 8th gen i7 especially when WoW finally starts using 4 cores instead of 2. Both those computers are plenty and will even run current gen games pretty well.

I the pc with the i7 8700 is the 3gb version of the 1060 im pretty sure

It’ll work fine, you can always upgrade GPU’s later, now see if you bought the 7th gen CPU you’d be locked to a motherboard that only supports 7th gen CPU’s. In other words upgrading to a newer CPU in the same generation won’t do much good when there’s a newer generation out that will support the newest gen CPU’s for a couple more generations before you’d need to get a newer motherboard that supports em. There’s not an extreme difference in performance between the CPU’s, but a pretty large one between the GPU’s, but in terms of longevity the computer with the 8700 will last you longer than the 7700. The GPU will probably have to be replace in…not too long (it’ll last as long as WoW doesn’t have any large upgrades to graphics), but it beats the hell out of having to buy a new motherboard, CPU, and ram.

CPU benchmarks

cpu.userbenchmark(dot)com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700/3940vs3887

www.cpubenchmark(dot)net/high_end_cpus.html

GPU benchmarks
gpu.userbenchmark(dot)com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3646vs3609
www.videocardbenchmark(dot)net/high_end_gpus.html

Looks like the 3 and 6gb variants of the 1060 are literally the same in performance so it doesn’t matter. So that’s FPS in the 40’s with some dips in the 30’s on ultra and you wanted 80 on medium, you should be well above what your target is :slight_smile: hope that all helped.