Which Mac Studio to buy

Compute takes up too much in the way of resources for almost no perceptual gain other than mostly volumetric fog. Leaving it off also eliminates a few graphical bugs as well, so that’s a bonus. You’ll really want compute off in some of the raids and dungeons. It really is that worthless.

Well actually it does brings weather effects like rain and thingies in the air, quite nice.
And also the M2 Max seems to handle compute way beter than the M1 Max or perhaps the combi M2 Max and Sonoma. I am using it on high also now in the normal world, I do turn it off in Raids and such.

what happens with shadows on ultra?

Well Ultra everything and 10-10-10 and MSAA 2x is fine in open world and Valdrakken.
Even LFR performed great, though I do turn off compute there and low shadows just to be sure. But this is on QHD and no FSR and usually have like 80-140 fps, Valdrakken can drop sometimes to 55-62-80 but that is fine with VRR.

Only weird thing is Heroic raids with my guild gives a stupid low fps or drops compared to LFR, not sure what is different there.

I’ll take your word and upgrade the rig to 76 GPU. But before I do, would upgrading from 64GB to 128GB make as much impact?

Here’s the situation: My significant other has her eye on the M2 Ultra, and her birthday is coming up. The rig’s primary purpose is video editing; the secondary use is gaming. She’d know the answer, but I can’t ask her without ruining the surprise. I wish I knew the names of the programs she uses etc., as that would probably make it easier to answer whether upgrading the MB would also be worth it.

She would be happy with the regular M2 Ultra, but as Tiapriestess pointed out: “You have to buy the best you can afford at the time of purchase” The cost of the upgrades is extravagant, but considering she’ll be using this machine primarily for work, it makes sense. (Not to mention that she’s been putting up with me for so long that she certainly deserves to be spoiled)

So, in your honest opinion, would it be worth it to also upgrade to 128MB?

not for gaming no. even with shared vram and ram usage, you won’t hit 64 GB in any scenario outside of running multiple things at once, or huge work flows. If you’re using it as a heavy duty machine for making 4k video content, get more memory. Playing wow? wouldn’t make a lick of difference. I wouldn’t go under 64 bit (can’t on studio but for others reading thread, absolutely upgrade memory in your mini or macbook pro)

So I guess it depends on nature of the work being done.
Storage, don’t upgrade it. use thunderbolt external solutions and save a lot.

1 Like

Thank you!

I appreciate the quick reply and thorough explanation. I hope you have a great weekend :slight_smile: