Which class will be most needed in vanilla?

… you don’t understand how Vanilla worked, do you?

EIGHT DEBUFF SLOTS.

It was increased to 16 slots at the end of Vanilla WoW as well, but even with that increase it was a MAJOR hurdle for warlocks. This meant that Mages, who COLLECTIVELY used only 1-2 debuff slots for as many as there were in your raid. Locks could use up to 5 debuff slots each for their DoTs.

Also, scaling was a HUGE roadblock for warlocks.

• All spells gained up to 100% of extra spell damage from gear (which was a separate stat from Intellect) based on their cast time or duration. Scaling maxed out at 3.5 seconds of cast time / duration (before spell cast duration reduction talents).
  • For DoTs, this meant it was spread out across the ENTIRE duration. So the DPS increase was actually less than a 3.5 second cast spell, even though most DoTs were technically instant cast.
  • Siphon Life only gained 50% of extra spell damage, because it also healed.
  • Shadowbolt had a max cast time of 3.0 seconds (2.5 seconds with talents), so it gained only 86% of your extra spell damage.
  • Guess how long the max rank Fireball spell cast time was – 3.5 seconds.

Either you were a VERY spoiled Warlock during Vanilla… or you didn’t play Vanilla at all.

Warlocks were considered “Mushrooms” in terms of balance in early WoW.

Yes, that was from more of a PvP video… but the stigma stuck around even into raiding.

1 Like

warriors are in high demand but they are also highly played

healers are harder to find, so they are most needed. which one depends on faction and what content you are running. shaman are great for horde raids and there are not enough to go around

Druids, paladins, priests

You need Great Warrior Tanks not just Warriors.

There are lots of lowbie dungeons that are hard to tank… Maraudon’s Princess Theradras, some bosses of Uldaman, the trash that respawns quickly before entering the Emperor’s area in BRD, all level 60 dungeons that requires perfect pull or you aggro the patrol mobs that would aggro the next group of mobs and a DPS Warrior tank to complete the 45 min Stratholme run. Oh yeah, you need a decent Warrior tank for Tier 0.5 Gear quest.

On raids, you need a very decent Warrior tank for Onyxia, Ragnaros (MC last boss), first boss of BWL, need a very decent Fire Resist geared Warrior tank for Vael, 2nd boss of BWL.

I was a Warrior. I remember I was unreplaceable in Vanilla. They need not just a Warrior but a very decent warrior who can master the art of stance dancing and switching from 2H sword to shield and sword.

You need a very good Warrior like this Vanilla Warrior.

Every class had its strengths. If classic follows vanilla demand, the most needed classes would be good tanking warriors and good healers (shaman, Druid, paladin).

All dps were a dime a dozen.

druid and warlock

1 Like

Specifically alliance warlocks and horde druids.

Tanks and Healers, as it is in all games.

But, think about something else. WHO will be needed most. The player with all the really good profession recipes that everyone needs, that’s who. Pick the right professions, get them up to max, get all the recipes, and you will be in high demand on your server.

2 Likes

It was 16 after what, 1.5? Not even half way through the raid tiers.
Do you know how Vanilla worked? I mained a warlock, and was the class captain (organized who was doing what curse, who was the summon bot, etc.) and had zero issues keeping multiple curses up on mobs. You actually wanted 3 up anyways most of the time. There was plenty of debuff spots for Curses, just not for everyone to stack Corruption or Warriors to use junk like Rend.

Nah, they scaled the best with talents and other player’s debuffs. Shadow Mastery, Shadow Weaving, Curse of Shadows, and Improved Shadowbolt were a huge amount of bonus shadow damage to mobs. More scaling than any other class had IIRC.

Who used Siphon Life for DPS? Who even got to use it with 16 debuff slots anyways? I think I used it occasionally in 20 mans where we were either doing drunk ZG or I was the only warlock so I got to do whatever I wanted in the first place.

Yeah, and by mid-WoW (late BWL) they weren’t a joke at all. Did you play past the first 6 months of the game?

No, I played plenty (probably too much). I just had a guild that wasn’t full of complete clowns. Did you play Vanilla? Because it sounds like you have ZERO idea what you’re talking about, both in this post and your previous one stating which classes are in demand.

15 Likes

Correction: Three Warlocks.

Healthstones bro.

3 Likes

Holy priest.

This was also the “sweetspot” for the big 3 curses (Shadows, Elements, Recklessness) and I think (if memory serves here, it’s been too long) the sweetspot for maintaining the “Improved Shadowbolt” debuff (though that also depends on the lock’s respective crit %s)

3 Likes

There will never be enough priests.

1 Like

Healer priest, most likely.

I wouldn’t bet on tanks, I disagree with people saying this, as warriors are likely to be the most popular class, this being 1.12, and many of them won’t mind tanking. Time will tell!

1 Like

If we are really talking about VANILLA/CLASSIC,
Prot Warr
Holy Priest
Mage
Rogue
Warlock
Hunter
Holy Paladin
Resto Druid
Resto Shaman
In this order.

1 Like

that stuff you said would have been relevant during the early patches, but we are getting 1.12. it really isnt hard at that point and people know more than they used to

tanks and healers will always be in demand in pretty much every game though

Everything except hunters will be in demand. Hunters DPS doesn’t scale as well as most classes and as a result by AQ40/Naxx you are most likely only bringing 2 for tranq shot.

People who know HOW to play there class will be the most needed. After that Tanks and healers.

1 Like

Fixed that for you.

1 Like