Which Class Has The Best Lore

I feel like Druids get a huge amount. As far as spread between zones, quests, and flavor.

As far as what I like, Warlock and Rogue quests are pretty awesome when focused on them.

Dks. I say most aren’t special and Druid lore was butchered with WoW.

Priests if we count Loa priests as well, but that’s different. So.

Yet all the legendary warrior characters are defined by their enchanted swords!

Well clearly they’re all cheats

Pretty subjective.

Personally I think stuff like Warriors and Priests are the most interesting as they’re the most open to interpretation. A Priest could be a devout follower of a specific deity or member of a religious sect like the Forgotten Shadow or Church of Holy Light. But the only requirement is Faith. It’s not specified in what. Presumably a Priest could just have supreme faith in their own ability to channel the Light and Shadow and that’d work fine.

Warriors are even more vague. You could be a knight, soldier, barbarian- anything really. At least one Gnome warrior seems to make up in brains what he lacks in brawn,

“I can’t accurately assess the mathematics behind the charge of my turbostrider while keeping hold of my lance at the precise angle needed and keeping my shield in the exact location for maximum protection at any given second!”

You’ve a lot more freedom to decide who and what your characters are with those classes. Whereas with like Shaman or Paladin or especially Demon Hunter you’re very much one specific thing.

It is funny tto think about that.

Back in the days where I started to play WoW, I tried nearly every class switched characters back and forth, couldn’t decide somehow.

There was however one class I know I would never want to play, as it sounded boring as heck: Warriors.
One night I was bored, my friends were asleep, and I just decided, heck try it.

That character became my first max lvl charecter which i rolplayed for years to come as a main.
Well at some point I switched to druid now.

But I found it funny how it went. Warriors somehow lacked the fantasy for me to try it from the beginning.

Same. My first, first character was an undead warlock. Being like 11 and a huge noob this did not go over great. Things like status effects and DoTs didn’t seem as effective as Shadowbolt to me so I barely got the class past level 30.

Eventually though I tried Warrior and that was also my first level 60. It’s what I recommend to newcomers. Even if you’re completely fantasy illiterate you probably know how axes work so you should have no problem picking up on what the abilities do.

And in modern WoW they have a lot more cool abilities than they use to. Heroic Leap is probably one of my favorite abilities in game. It looks cool and if used creatively can let you pull off some really neat moves. Like recovering from a knockback off a cliff or surviving long falls.

I really like the warrior toolset. charge, heroic leap, spellreflect it feels so smooth somehow.
Warrior is easy to play on a basic level and to undertsand: Axe -> Head.

1 Like

Monk. But we don’t talk about them. Also shaman.

:cactus:

What is that?

Yeah but I don’t have any non-NE characters. So can’t talk about these.

Monk can be interesting. Insofar as you have to think why your character decided to study the Pandaren martial arts.

For my undead one at least I had him be an Apothecary who was very impressed with the precise and clinical nature of it all. Skulking around with rudimentary posions or waving a mace and shield about were primitive methods of obtaining test subjects beneath the dignity of a doctor. This however was refined, elegant and most importantly the surgical nature of many strikes allowed him to apply his thorough knowledge of anatomy to considerable effect.

1 Like

For NEs I found it rather difficulty to explain it.
NEs tend to learn rather slow they take their time and are deeply rooted into their traditions.
So since we only had like … don’t know 4 years between MoP and now, it is rather stupid to be a perfectly skilled monk in less than 4 years.

Same goes for a lot of races. I don’t like monks in the game, they feel so out of placed except for Pandarens.

When I first stared playing back in Wotlk I was with a friend. I picked Warrior and she picked Shaman. I had a lot of trouble as a noob and maybe it was due to class, maybe it was just my flawed perspective, but my friend’s Shaman seemed just infinitely more powerful and cool compared to my Warrior.

I still like Warriors a lot, but Shamans have a special place in my heart because of my friend.

Pandaren trainers have been retconned to be in the starting zones since at least cataclysm.

Even though, the Monk teachings don’t clash with the cultural roots of night elves, actually the opposite, they match pretty well. Preserve balance, protect home and family.

And I don’t think I’ve ever found anything in lore saying Nelves are slow learners, quite the opposite in fact, Malfurion had to grasp most druidic concepts in the middle of the WoTA. Illidan developed his arcane knowledge super fast as well.

Unfortunately, none of the classes really have decent lore these days, in my opinion, as a lot of the different features have been sanded away for the sake of ease. There isn’t even a uniformity in terms of how their abilities work these days.

This is especially true for magic based classes, because Blizzard literally canonized magic having seven(eight with necromancy) schools of magic but then… never really did much with them at all. People often, rightfully, focus on the weirdness with story canon and racial lore, but the class lore isn’t much better off at all.

Even genuinely good ideas or themes have been left aside later. Take, for instance, the Warlock Green Fire chain, which gave the class an immense amount of good, interesting lore. It categorized Warlocks as something more varied than just Fel users and demon summoners, but rather spellcasters willing to take magic from any source, and using that power against other foes. But by Legion they were back to all being demon summoners, in spite not having those themes before.

Shamans have also suffered from the lore changes and story beats as well. The constant power creep, wherein elementals manifesting in the world has gone from a rarity to a commonplace thing, really takes the spiritual and contemplative aspect from Shamans as a class. And there’s also no real set canon method for how they do what they do, either.

1 Like

I woulnd’t say Monks clash with NE culture and roots but NEs are very strict in their views and traditions. They don’t adapt very fast nor do they whish to.

The slow learner is mor or less an explanation for me why humans in fantasy games are seen as fast learners. Elves live hundreds and thousands of years and they take their time to perfect things. But at the cost of taking a lot longer to do so. The results will be far more refined and magnificent, but it takes just so much longer.
No lore implication for taht though.

Warriors use just as much Magic as any Caster

But they do adapt pretty fast, the whole WOTA trilogy is about they adapting on the fly to fight the legion. Tyrande and Malfurion quickly found a way to work together with thrall and jaina despite the initial relationships.

They grew their entire capital city in less than 4 years. Male warriors in their society is as new as monks, or mages. You’re taking common fantasy tropes and just assuming they’re the same in wow.

I deny the existance of Knaak books actually. They are such a mess of retcons and loreholes.

I stick with WC3, Classic and beyond for NE representation. Else you have basically 4 different describtion of the same thing just by looking into different authors.
I’ll stick with metzen here, as he is the original one.

But here we are. Having contradicting explanations based on what book you use. Then even chronicles are being labled as subjective and probably false.
It is a mess.

So sure you can say “MOnks suite” and I won’t deny you that. But in my opinion they don’t. But not only for NEs.

DK and DH. hero classes mate. Paladin has its own realm within my heart as well.