Where I think WoW should Go, because I'm totally qualified to do so

Okay, I’m going to present my thoughts on how, storyline-wise, Blizzard can right the course going into the next expansion, as well as some ideas for that expansion. There’s going to be no “everything after BC was a dream!” or anything like that. That being said, although I hate Retcons, I feel one is needed here:

So, number one. We establish with N’zoth that the Old Gods feed on conflict. The more hatred and violence there is, the stronger they get. It’s also established explicitly (though it should be obvious anyway) that Yogg Saron and Cthuun are still alive. We just weakened them enough to be re-imprisoned. Finally, the last retcon: Sylvanas was corrupted when she died in Northrend. I mean, she was literally SURROUNDED by Saronite. It made her susceptible to the Old Gods. Not because what she’s doing is somehow morally against her character, but its intelligently against it. Sylvanas was clever, cunning and ruthless. Now, she’s basically wearing a bright neon sign saying “IM EVUL COME KILL ME LULZ”

So, Sylvanas, unknowingly under the OG’s influence, is feeding them conflict, making them stronger. So this leads up to… SEIGE OF ORGRIMMAR 2!

Just kidding. I’m seeing it more as a fight to free Sylvanas from N’zoth. Sylvanas survives, but steps down from Warchief, unsure if her thoughts are truly her own, and feeling some tiny, minuscule twinges of remorse for the countless elves she killed. Hey, new character arc! Hell, maybe even the “hell” she saw was another Old God manipulation.

So, the War ends… with the Horde surrendering.

-ducks fruit- Hey, calm down! We need a definitive end. And, let’s face it my Horde brothers, you’re kind of the bad guys here. I want to end this faction war once and for all, and the best way to do so is a Horde surrender. And it’s going to set up our next conflict.

So, now we’re going into the next expansion. The theme here is rebuilding. There’s not going to be a faction war, no huge universe-ending threat, just… rebuilding. Have us deal with the consequences of war. An entire generation decimated. Families torn apart. The land itself sundered. There is so much potential there! But you’re wondering, where’s the conflict?

Picture this: opening cutscene. The remaining leaders of the Horde gather. Saurfang, Baine, Ji, Lorthremar, Gallywix, Mayla, Geya’rah and Thalyssra. And the Forsaken’s new representative, Calia… just kidding. No one wants that. Nathanos! No, he dies. Let’s say while freeing Sylvanas he… trips and disintegrates, crying like a baby as he dies. Because I HATE Nathanos. Let’s say its Velonara.

So they talk among themselves. Some are worried the Horde will be dismantled. Others are planning their future. The Alliance leadership arrives. Anduin announces the Horde will NOT be dismantles. Nor will they be expected to give any sort of reparations. Genn looks on neutral. Tyrande glares angrily. Anduin delivers a speech, while the cutscene shows the aftermath of the war, about how Azeroth needs to rebuild and recover.

In the aftermath, the Horde reorganize, abolishing the position of Warchief and instead institutes a council of rulers. But both sides face conflict from within. For the Horde, there are those who see the surrender as dishonorable, who believe the Horde should have fought to the bitter end. Let’s call them the Warhounds. They want to reignite the war, and thus serve as the main conflict for the Horde.

The Alliance is also fractured. Many disagree with Anduin’s leniency, they believe the Horde should have been dismantles, or at the very least, they should have been forced to make reparations for the war. Let’s call them… the Revanchists. This allows us to keep PvP in the narrative without laying on the crutch of the faction war.

Heck, I’d say let them be full blown factions you can get rep with.

The main, overarching storyline, however, will be the rebuilding of Stratholme. A joint endeavor to show Azeroth that the Alliance and Horde can co-exist. I’m seeing a phased instance, as the expansion goes more and more of Stratholme is reclaimed and rebuilt. There could be missions to stop potential sabotage from the Warhounds and the Revanchists. Raids could include retaking the Scarlet Bastion, or even repelling an assault from the remnants of the scarlet Crusade. Actually, lets tie that plot thread up too. Make it a full patch like “Scarlet’s End” or something like that.
.Then, to end the expansion, the adventurers are some of the Horde and Alliance leadership are looking over the rebuilt Stratholme. The Warhounds and revanchists are weakened, but still around. The Scarlet Crusade is no more, and everything looks good. Jaina stands in the former Scarlet Hold, now renamed… Unity Hold? Meh, that works. She’s gazing into a magical globe when a message comes through. Lorthremar arrives and together they try and interpret the message and pinpoint its origin. Jaina is able to, utilizing a globe of Azeroth to show… it came from the other side of the world.

-queue WoW theme-

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this was vaguely confirmed in the Chronicle Volumes when the old gods blatantly let the burning legion get their way with the orcs just to cause more chaos in Azeroth, or at least that’s how i interpreted it.

A lot of people might hate this, but it actually seems pretty likely and would be a remotely satisfying end to Sylvanas other than just killing her for being evil like we did Garrosh.

Except she explicitly stated she’s using N’Zoth to cause the most death.

No. The Horde is as only as evil as the Alliance. The same people who keep screeching that the Horde is evil forget the prince who murdered his dad and shattered the old Alliance, the Gnome who nuked his own city to stop Troggs, the Elves who basically broke the planet with their arrogance and the space goats who left their planet to die, dragging the wrath of the Legion accross the stars and getting another planet nuked in the process. Not to mention the genocidal Dwarves too busy fighting with each other to acknowledge that none of them are Anvilmars and thus not the true heirs to the throne of Ironforge.

Surrender is death. Laying down arms is accepting judgement and that would most assuredly end in the Horde. The stakes are too high to ever return from that. What we got now- with war fatigue from the two forces exhausting themselves upon each other- is probably more form fitting to middle aged warfare and less likely to piss off a fanbase that has been following it for years. War fatigue can also invite the end of a war all together. War is hell, does anyone want to make a return to that disaster? Maybe another born generation, who hasn’t experienced that nightmare yet, might be inclined, but I doubt a lot of people who lived through will agree.

The orcish warcry ‘victory or death’ isn’t just because it sounds cool (it does sound cool), it is very much a reality; if the Horde stops fighting, they will die. No quarter given to an enemy that feels so wronged that it will seek the highest tier punishments for whom they perceive as aggressors. No quarter given to the enemies that they faced prior-to, either. Even against the infinite Legion, who wanted to bring them back into the fold after Grom’s heroics.

Somebody should tell this guy necromancers aren’t a class in the next expansion.

4 Likes

No longer canon and now a collection of unreliable narrator stories. You expect the writers to actually adhere to their own lore?

It is clear to us that if the Horde remained armed at the end of the war, or are permitted to rearm, they will again, and inevitably, rembark upon an ambitious career of world conquest.

1 Like

It wasn’t intentional.

I got as far as Sylvanas ever feeling bad for killing anyone and my eyes just viciously rebelled against reading any further, it was so out of character.

BFA is bad but at least they didn’t waste any time trying to humanize a twice dead zombie elf.

I get the desire to have a “quiet” expansion focused on rebuilding and smaller stories, but I keep thinking … can you see the marketing campaign for that? Can you imagine a hall full of people at Blizzcon cheering for it?

This is why new expansions are big and splashy.

1 Like

I’ve been saying for a while that we could really use a Kezan expansion.

Both factions are now in need of money, resources, and lots more. The Goblin cartels are diverse and neutral. Their home island of Kezan has jungles, beaches, mountains, a volcano and several different areas -especially after the Cataclysm. It has an absolutely gigantic underground city to act as a hub, with sections that can be unsealed as the expansion continues.

Players could go and choose a cartel and work with them, whether it’s undermining their rivals, gathering supplies, making new allies, or trying to restore the environment still reeling from the Cataclysm. There’s your order halls/rep grinds/covenants.

Gnomes can also play a big part in this expansion, which would continue showing them some love like they got in Mechagon after so long being neglected by the story. Gazlowe and Mechatorque can be our reps this time.

At first, I was wondering who I’d have be the BBEG, but now we have the perfect one in the form of Gallywix! Few people liked/trusted him even before his greed and invention helped escalate this terrible war, only for him to run off!

Gallywix grinning smugly at the camera as he sits in the cockpit of an eight armed solid gold Azerite powered monstrosity is absolutely the kind of thing you can plaster onto some WoW cover art.

3 Likes

Tamanii, I was with you until you said …

No. JUST FREAKING NO.

I refuse to have to go hunt down and kill YET ANOTHER Horde leader or former leader, with the help of the Alliance. I don’t care if he IS the probably-least-popular Horde leader ever.

4 Likes

Kill? This is Gallywix! He’d end up under arrest (or the goblin equivalent) and end up getting out with his head attached. Maybe penniless, which for him might be a fate worse than death. The character and his lack of outright maliciousness lends itself better to a less violent end.

I’m imagining something closer to Mechagon. Since the expansion would be following the player character and their interaction with the cartels on Kezan, the Horde/Alliance leadership and their respective militaries could be left out of it. No Thrall. No Jaina. No Anduin. No Baine. No people standing around making sad faces in between dramatic speeches about peace and war and the fate of the world.

1 Like

We’d still have to hunt and raid him to get him to that point. Once again, I refuse. Doing that twice is already too many times.

5 Likes

Be that as it may, the Alliance are in no position to attempt to disarm them, nor render judgement. Nor would I ever want to offer someone so grievously wronged a seat behind the gavel. It’s too late to go back on the war crimes, it’s only of the utmost imprtance that going forward all efforts towards survival are honed and don’t falter, because the odds of someone wanting to revisit a war 30 years later once all assets have been replenished is high. Not everyone’ll want to put the war to bed and go forward.

1 Like

How’d you even find a 9 month old post?

1 Like

I was just replying to posts in the story forum. But it did spark an excellent discussion about needing to include Kezan and Undermine so yea.

1 Like

THIS! SO MUCH THIS!

I’ve been saying for years that we only get to see three cartels and two trade princes! Where are the rest? What happened to Undermine? When do we finally get to meet Venture Company’s elusive trade prince? I also like the idea that gnomes and goblins can treat equally with the trade princes, after all it works like that in Tanaris and Mechagon? I’d also like to see some major rebuilding going on throughout the world, so many peoples lost their homes, it would be nice if Gilneas was restored and Bilgewater Harbor became proper cities, along with an updated Exodar and Silvermoon. In addition seeing Feathermoon and Stonard become proper cities would be nice, to accommodate the Night Elf and undead refugees respectively.

If their is a undermine expansion they’re would need to be something for the alliance too. Maybe dwarf/ titan stuff

Undermine is and always has been neutral.

I was thinking about other features to include and one idea that intrigued me is a return of the Aqir. With the death of N’zoth we could have all the descendants of the Aqir; The Qiraji, Nerubians, Makrura and the Mantid bring the bodies of the slain old gods deep beneath the ground for some unknown purpose. From there we could explore the vast underground insect kingdoms we thought dead and gone. But not gone, only waiting, and hungering.

Maybe we can finally get the Azjol-Nerub content we all wanted.

It would have similar problems as legion being too alliance themed though just flipped, although not the end of the world seeing undermine would be interesting.

1 Like