Where do our characters fit into the story?

it is not that tricky, at all… I could pull that off by using a plethora of options. Thing is that Blizz does everything on the lazy flow, while hiring incompetent creatives, or by basically denying creativity of better ones.

I do agree with this. Wasn’t really my intention to excuse that with my answer to the OP, but I’m also bad at wording things sometimes.

It actually is really tricky. Prime exemple: I’m still sour about Sylvanas not sending Weeven to assassinate Thrall and Saurfang in Nagrand, because chances are much better Weeven would have pulled it off. A logical, coherent story would have had an intelligent, conniving character like Sylvanas use one of her two best assets (Nathanos or Weeven) to actually get mission critical stuff done. Not a couple of random rogues. Weeven demonstrably doesn’t even need to know the “whys” of things, she just asks to be pointed in the general direction of mayhem. She wants the war to go on probably more than Sylvanas does, and better than Sylvanas: she doesn’t even need a reason. Worst cases? Weeven gets convinced to switch sides or Weeven gets off’d before a chance at being convinced to switch sides. Best case? Weeven does succeed and now there’s no chance in hell the rebels will ever even want to work with her.

How do you accomodate for 20% of the player base actively wanting to play Psycho For Hire and for the paths of the story to follow suit? Right now I just rationalize with the Belkar Gambit:

Belkar: So, I did what I always do—murder people horribly—but because I killed the people everyone else wanted me to kill, I get presents instead of prison time?
Roy: Uh, well, it’s a lot more complicated than that, but—
Belkar: HA HA HA HA HA HA! It’s working! It’s WORKING, SUCKERS!

2 Likes

I know that you are all big time fans of Warcraft as a whole, but I’m a professional writer, please re-evaluate what you are saying for guess’ sake. As I’ve said, it’s not THAT tricky to pull it off, when you have the time please check out what SWOTOR writers have done there, it’s one way of making it work.

We are the convenient, expendable, get things done side character- not too important, somewhat relevant friendly acquaintance of the MCs that just happens to show up when things get weird.
I think they (the writers) keep it that way to have things left somewhat ambiguous for us parallel to what’s actually written & set in stone for the MCs.
We aren’t too important. Can’t tell you how much it irks me when our character is max rank in max rank gear with all of these epic feats and - inserts villain - can just force choke us and take what she/he wants time and time again. like, haven’t we learned to resist that? Or is it a testament to the next big bad villain’s strength?
The MCs use us as their pawns, albeit friendly trusted pawns. We are their war table pawns. We get titles, & mild recognition. We get a big thanks & are invited to the soiree. But it never feels that we actually get to reap the spoils because of how we are not written in. But we do get a big pat on the back and a thanks.
Like for example: My void elf character is Anduin’s true love, he & the writers just don’t know it yet.

Warcraft tells multiple stories with the same material.

One of them is the story that involves you and your particular questing.

Another is the end of game raiding cinematic where you and your raid buddies are mentioned as assists to the story hero that deals the final blow whether it be Thrall or Tirion.

And yet another is the one told in off game novels.

For the most part these are parallel stories with almost no intersection.

1 Like