When will you fix the M+ meta

If you go to LFG and type in pretty much any type of high key 15+
You get just a handful of things LF Rogue / Boomy / Ele / or DH
Its literally all what anyone wants in keys you really only see Resto druids in M+ and the occasional MW in these groups the majority of the time not all the time. You never see people going. LF Ret pally / Unholy or Frost DK / Spriest / Ench shammy / Feral druid / Any of the lock specs.

The meta for M+ is so insanely focused on just 4 classes for dps very spec specific . BloodDK / Wars for tanks and Resto druids. It’s boring , not fun and really kills the game for anyone not playing those specs.

Now here’s what I’m saying, DONT TAKE things away from those classes, they are good. But instead give these other classes something more. Take for instant maybe give Spriest a orb that they can put on the ground and it reaches out and grips everything towards this void orb. Or give us our Mass stun back. Just having one of those 2 would make things so much better for the meta. Change maybe Rez totem to a actual Brez totem that can be dropped when someone dies and not before, make ele not crap?
Feral just buff them there are literally so many things to help influence the way M+ is ran.

Not just straight meta comps its boring and kills the game. I get declined from 14s and 15s at 413 ilvl almost 2k score just because I’m a spriest. I’ve seen the groups decline me and then put up " LF Rogue / Ele " things like that is like WHY?
Do something

5 Likes

Lust, shroud, better utility.

2 Likes

Yeah it was bad in Legion but it’s only gotten worse in BFA. If class difference were so stark in raids, there would have been hotfixes months ago. It’s pretty sad for people who do M+ as their main form of content that Blizzard don’t care at all about class balance. You really are restricted to a handful of specs if you want to do well in M+.

4 Likes

Class balance cannot be perfect. Blizzard should just revert the change that gave more gear to M+ above 10. That way the minor imbalances that affect high M+ wouldn’t make a practical difference.

An infinite scaling difficulty will always end in a tight meta.

Item level tops out at 10 anyway so I don’t think blizzard cares much past that.

2 Likes

The solution for M+ balance is that you can always run your own key.

Not disagreeing that the meta over focuses on a few specific specs but…that is always going to happen.

Pugs get used to running keys a certain way which requires certain classes. Because the host is always putting their key on the line (timer) for possible downgrade, they pick the safest bets.

Why risk their key trying a new spec (which may be just as good) but won’t be better.?No gain, only chance for it to be worse.

The solution, run your own key.

1 Like

They can’t give us anything that would make us better than shroud without making Mythic Plus Trivial. No one will take you because you have gorefiends grasp now. (Your orb idea) Killing groups slightly faster isn’t going to make up for saving 5-8 minutes with rogue shroud on the hardest trash in a dungeon.

At the same time, they heavily nerfed caster aoe across the board, cementing melee’s place as kings of Mythic Plus. And it seems this is intentional as the moment Demo took the throne it was burned out from under them.

2 Likes

Yea… no. BFA has the most flex/variations between classes/specs in m+ history, and that’s even accounting for the mandatory rogue spot. Legion m+ was truly a meta with only 6 viable specs. In BFA, the amount of competing ranged classes alone is more than that.

How is that a solution to balance in any way?

Running your own key or someone else’s key, if you choose to pick a class that’s poor in M+, you’ll perform worse than if you chose a different class.

5 Likes

At this point they just need to bite the bullet and make a shroud consumable. It’s ridiculous that one class should be considered absolutely necessary for a whole mode of content.

4 Likes

I use invis pots on my prot paly or we death skip with a NE Druid/Monk. Works fine for 11-13 range. Sure it would be easier with a rogue, but the only rogue we have is my alt. I hate running M+ without a DH for aoe or Boomy/Frost Mage to help kite. But that’s what our group requires when we use a paly. Not “meta” but it works for us.

The existence of invis pots, drums and the fact that you can level up your own key and you would be the one choosing solves this issue imo.

1 Like

The problem with invis pots is that you can’t trade them cross server. If you could just turn 5 invis pots into a single shroud pot it would be fine. Such a powerful ability shouldn’t be limited to a single class, it’s that simple really.

6 Likes

There is no fixing the meta. If Blizz took away shroud from rogue and nerfed it to the ground, something else would just take it’s place, because pushing the highest keys in the world require so much min-maxing. The problem is that people see the meta and think it applies to keys below +15’s and it doesn’t. But the meta isn’t Blizz’s fault. It’s the nature of any competitive form of content.

That being said, I think there need to be profession options that can offset the need for certain classes, like invis pots not triggering a CD on other pots, things like that.

1 Like

Ele/Boomy is amazing now due to Earth Elemental/Trees being able to absorb a lot of reaping DoT damage. Rogues do a lot of stealth type things which can be overcome with Invis pots, but also do a ton of damage. DH also do a ton of damage.

As for DKs, I see Unholy DKs killing it on damage, so I guess it depends on the person tbh. Warriors do a ton of damage and have good mitigation, Blood DKs insane healing (maybe less so this week, but good kiting/utility). I feel like pally can be ok but also suffers some this week, Guardian Druids kind of just… arent the best.

I will agree strongly on this though. Blizzard often nerfs first rather than buff, which should be opposite imo.

I would agree, shroud has the strong benefit of others being able to mount AND that the rogue is fast as lightning in it, invis pots are a bit more finicky and do not allow for mounting. In a dungeon that is all in doors (like Waycrest) it matters little, but only a rogue can stealth a team all the way up in MOTHERLOAD from the 3rd boss to 4th boss.

1 Like

Since reaping further promotes the meta (mass grip, mass aoe, mass slow/root, shroud skipping for ideal reaping spots, etc.) the answer is that blizzard is not only fine with the meta but wants to narrow it down even further

Reaping is the worst thing to happen to M+ class/spec balance since M+ was introduced, but I’m sure all the mongo mass aoe specs love it (looking at you DH). As someone who has tanked dungeons and raids seriously/semi-seriously for years I personally despise tanking reaping regardless of the dungeon. It promotes all the bad impressions people have of modern WoW dungeons (no CC, mass zerg AOE, ignoring mechanics, etc.) because people couldn’t be bothered to use their CC on the obviously giant bleeding mob in season 1 (infested) and move it away from the others.

3 Likes

the meta for what is supposed to be a seperate endgame should not be this right, that is ridiculous.

if it were challenge modes, fine whatever, it’s cosmetic stuff.

but m+ is an alternative to raiding and pvp; it’s an entirely different endgame. a handful of classes absolutely dominating the rankings wouldn’t fly in pvp i imagine, so why is it ok in this end game?

3 Likes

Actually they can’t. The robots see thru stealth. The only way to do that now is with a death run.

Just for the record, at the top end of rated, the meta is just as restrictive.

Currently the real problem in PVP is that the meta extends down enough to prevent certain specs from exceeding about 2000, while the gear doesn’t top out until 2400. That’s even more severe than the problem that M+15+ where the meta matters still gets you more gear - and therefore, due to titanforging, better gear.

TLDR: Strict meta is unavoidable, but Blizz ought to balance high enough to prevent the meta from affecting gar acquisition.

Which they’ve done for mythic+

Up through +10 When gear tops out you can take any spec or group of specs.

1 Like