When to Change your Guild?

I’ve been with the same guild for several months now, and we were having fun clearing MC and Ony.

On BWL, we cleared 3/8, and there’s lots of talk about how to improve . . .

But I don’t know how much faith I have in us actually doing better . . .

Meanwhile, I see more progressed guilds looking for the class I play, and I know that with the gear I have, the parses I have, I would probably be accepted.

I think I should give my guild a few more weeks tbh, but I also know my long-term goal is to clear Nax.

Any thoughts or word of advice are appreciated.

4 Likes

Do you want to be Lebron James or Kevin Durant?

It’s not wrong to look out for #1, but if you like your guild and they’ve helped you, maybe ask what you could be doing to help push forward.

11 Likes

The right thing to do here is be the change your guild needs to do better rather than give up on them as soon as times get hard. Who is missing a bit of gear that would help? Who needs gentle coaching on their play? Can you help farm some mats? Have certain drops just been unlucky and a few more MC clears will make the difference?

Bailing on them after you’ve taken the loot is a thing that happens, and moving on to greener pastures when you will have more fun playing at a more hardcore pace isn’t wrong per se.

But I don’t hear that from your post. I hear, oh well we didn’t go 8/8 in the first week, this guild isn’t that good afterall, and I just know that I’m so much better than they are. It’s not a great look.

If you do later decide you want to change guilds. Try and be honest about why this guild is not a good fit. But keep it short and as drama free as possible. Don’t whine for weeks, but also don’t just vanish? Understand that any new guild is a risky jump for you as well, the grass is not greener on the other side. And hopping guilds too often is a fast way to find yourself completely on the outside. Every guild values loyalty.

16 Likes

I’m assuming you’ve been clearing the other raids with these guys for awhile and gotten to know them, made friends, all that…yadda…yadda. If not, then ignore what I’m saying.

What it sounds like to me is that you aren’t willing to work with your guild and are only looking out for yourself. Seriously…the raid released six days ago and you’re considering leaving because they didn’t clear it on the first attempt.

If that’s you, so be it, but you’re going to burn bridges and be known as “that guy” who gets his and leaves if you decide to bail on them.

I mean, your post comes off as “I’m better than them and they aren’t good. At the first sign of struggle, I’m going to go run off to another guild who did clear it on the first try so I can be carried and get loot” Which really isn’t a good look on you. Honestly, as the guy said above, you should be the change you want, help them understand what’s going wrong, and progress with them. Not bail because you’re unhappy they didn’t clear it on the first attempt.

I see why you posted on a retail toon.

9 Likes

So one raid and you give up? I see why you’re posting on your retail toon.

14 Likes

Are you willing to put in the time and effort required to step up to a “better” guild?

While the better guilds make content look easy theres a heap of prep that goes into making your raid team a cohesive machine and while it’s easy to say “I can do that” it’s harder to put that into practise for months at a time.

Lets see some parses to see just how you’re guilds failing first along with your classic character name.

1 Like

My guild could not currently clear BWL if our lives depended on it.

I am not concerned, BWL is not going any place, it will be there when we are ready and properly geared for it.

7 Likes

Ooh ooh, my guild is progressing on Strathholme. Guild runs of Dire Maul next week! We’re just having fun.

7 Likes

If I were recruiting and I heard your story I would not want you in my guild.

10 Likes

I bet you didn’t expect these responses lol but i agree with most have some loyalty. you didn’t do those raids solo.

Bro. If you’re upset and willing to throw in the towel so easily, you don’t have a progression mind set.

We used to launch ourselves into the same boss for weeks at a time before finally getting them down back in Vanilla and TBC. Sometimes it seemed we got worse, sometimes it felt like we were getting better.

That patience, dedication, and persistence is what you need to become a successful raider. Game skills are far easier to develop than the above.

I promise you, once your raid group works together long enough, it’ll develop synergy. And you’ll be able to learn faster and better than before. You cant just plop 40 randos together and expect them to work together without getting a feel for each other. That’s the real challenge in raiding, developing that group synergy.

6 Likes

If your end goal is to clear Naxx, get used to the idea of progressing through a raid with your guild.

1 Like

I didn’t post with the hope of a particular response.
I suffer from anxiety in real life and more than anything I wanted to know if I was being overly nervous.

I’ve read and heard various times that BWL is when various guilds die because they can’t cut it, and I even see guild recruitments where they state 'don’t stay with a guild that won’t make the distance, join us" and I think “gee, can this guild go the distance, or will it eventually just die due to lack of progression?”

I get the impression from the responses that it is too early to be this nervous, which is reassuring and suggests I’m letting my anxiety get the best of me.

7 Likes

I think the great thing about the current state of classic is that there are tons of guilds out there raiding, and that doesn’t look like it’ll change anytime soon. I understand your nervousness, I felt the same way but really there are plenty of guilds that didn’t clear BWL the first week (mine is one of them), but there’s plenty of time to change that. Now if your raid attendance starts slipping throughout the weeks and/or you’re not making any meaningful progress, then I say do what’s best for you. But I would at least give them a chance, especially since you have history with them and they’ve likely gotten you geared up in MC.

1 Like

I apologize

2 Likes

Thanks.

I think I already knew that was the best plan, but your words reassure me.

3 Likes

There are lot of guilds that will fail in BWL, AQ, or Naxx. Likewise there are a lot of guilds that will have initial problems and successfully progress through them. If your only goal is to cleanly sweep through the content then I actually recommend finding a new guild that clears easily, but personally I think it is more interesting to work your way through the content.

The biggest factor for me would be the fact that people are constantly burning out and with each raid tier there will always be good guilds looking to fill roster spots. It will likely never be a case of you missing your only opportunity to move to a new guild because those opportunities will keep appearing as time goes on.

The opportunity to progress more slowly however will disappear since those guilds will ultimately either disband or successfully clear and become just another “8/8 bwl on farm” guild.

Harsh truth time. If they are discussing ways to improve and your instinct is to jump ship, you were probably part of the problem.

2 Likes

I mean if you wiped like 20 times to Razorgore, I could maybe start to see your arguement, but you already took out Vael wich is considered the “guild destroyer.” You have several loot pinadas after vael and the next really challenging fight will be chromaggus. There are plenty of mobs to clear to better gear your raid and practice before getting to that boss. Stick with it and get some gear and keep stabbing at it. Only week 1!!

That’s good to know because yes, I am scared there is like a window of opportunity here that will later be closed to me.

Thanks. That’s also where I was trying to get a sense of. When I played retail, I once asked for advice on a particular boss and the response back was “if your guild is wiping to that, you have bigger issues”, so with so many 8/8 teams out there, I began wondering if 3/8 indicate some serious problem akin to wiping on razorgore 20 times, so your words of advice help me put things into perspective.