When does Spriest "click"?

I recently was able to limp my priest up to 60 and through the initial gear drought into the low 200s and I’m still not “getting it”.

The rotation seems kind of all over the place. I either have too many buttons to press at once (procs lighting up like a Christmas tree on the same GCD) or I’m sitting there mindflaying for what feels like forever.

Is this a class that just isn’t going to work for me, or is it something that will be fixed with better gear with specific secondaries?

Edit: So after playing around a bit more and getting a little more gear, the spec is feeling much smoother and intuitive.

The two things that made the biggest difference (apart from just playing the spec more) are conduits and better secondaries. Conduits are annoying to farm, but I managed to get two fun ones (Dissonant Echoes and Haunting Apparitions).

Another thing that “made” the spec for me was not being afraid to use medium-length CD spells at-will. I’m used to playing classes more conservatively, but spriest seems to be a lot better if you just go for it.

1 Like

The spec gets more fun with higher haste, like 900+, but If it doesn’t click then It doesn’t click, maybe the class doesn’t suit your playstyle. Bis covenant is Necrolord btw.

I agree with this. I’ve played all the classes and tried all the specs, but some specs just don’t “feel” right to me. Others feel great, and I end up playing those.

Example: Outlaw Rogue is the only spec of the three I enjoy. Demonology Warlock is similar, with Destro being SLIGHT playable when I’m “in the mood”.

Sometimes you just need to accept that a certain playstyle might not be for you.

1 Like

Well having a lot of haste does make it feel “better” but as a whole, the spec feels a bit clunky

Probably because of how Blizzard butchered voidform in such a hurry

They didn’t really have time to actually plan out the spec and fully flesh it out. Probably why we have things like searing nightmare :expressionless:

are we all forgetting beta when blizz was lauded for the changes they made to shadow and other clasess wanted that same overhaul to their toons.

compared the shadow cata or mop it is much higher paced and smooth now then it was then, tho i prefer then to now

1 Like

Have you ever used searing nightmare?

The spec is not smooth

Shadow’s single target rotation I understand fine, but this whole Mind Sear + Searing Nightmare thing is too clunky for me. High haste just makes the cast too short and you can barely get the Searing Nightmares off.

1 Like

yes i have and i dont like it. not one bit. but you missed or neglected to see the bit where im comparing now to cata spriest :stuck_out_tongue:

Its currently a smoother faster paced spec but i would trade that for more cata based.

Clicks at about level 20 and gets better from there. Mindblast procs can and should be used during mindflay/mindsear/voidtorrent as much as possible they don’t interrupt the channels.

Shadow priest clicks on single target when, in voidform, you no longer have to consciously think about what you’re doing next. Voidbolt always having 2 globals between it, and being familiar enough with shadows insanity generation that you can tell ahead of time which GCD your next plague is going to be on without really thinking.

In AoE it clicks when you get comfortable with searing nightmare, and understand that vampiric touch does not need to be on every target in the pull / pack all the time.

4 Likes

Bump. I updated my original post in case anyone has had a similar experience.

Could you clarify specifically what you’re referring to here, also what covenant did you pick?

Void eruption and void torrent as soon as I have vampiric touch and shadow word: pain up, basically. I use mind-games too since I chose Venthyr.

1 Like

Yeah, this helped me feel smoother with shadow as well. Burning those 30s and 60s CDs almost every time they come up.

1 Like

There’s two ways to play things, you can either send everything on cd or you can hold voidform (90s) to line up with PI (120s) every time.

Also as venthyr you’re generally better off running shadowflame prism and mindbender than anything else with void torrent. Torrent is more punchy for single target solo play though so it can be decent. Just you can’t play prism (Which is shadow’s best legendary for single target unless necrolord).

1 Like