When did wow become primarily about competitive gameplay?

legion 2016.

So e-sports are now just a means for self improvement rather than competition? Got it.

Seems healthy to me tbh.

1 Like

Yeah, except that’s not how M+ works at all.

Cute that you think it does, though lol

The competition started the moment some hunter rolled against my rogue on agi leather in WC.

If a game has other players in it, some level of competition will naturally occur. It doesn’t necessarily mean the game is designed around it though.

2 Likes

Hearted 'cause it made me giggle :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

They were a massive selling point to the expansion that blizzard hyped up like crazy. I would absolutely argue they were a cornerstone to that which is the entire point of why M+ become popular. The playerbase loved them.

I’m bringing up PvP because it’s a solid half of the overall game and it’s an important part of the discussion.

In the context of the discussion, it was mentioned that a lot of this content was never the point of playing the game. I’m saying that there were a ton of people that played specifically for those pieces of content. Again, using PvP as a primary example here.

Let me guess… More engaging for you is repeating the same instances until… what?

1 Like

yea that sucked and made people quit as soon as they had to start grinding conquest instead of honor.

Cause its true

Like alts didn’t exist in vanilla?

Had to power level my Warrior to raid AQ and Naxx back in Vanilla because the guild didn’t need any Paladins. God, what a nightmare that was, including the gearing that had to happen right after lol.

Oh yes, I remember those days too. I never did original Naxx, but I know how crazy other guilds were to get all the rep and would grind like crazy

The game has always had some degree of competitiveness with Arena, but I think it just reeeeeally got crazy with it when they added Mythic+. Completely changed dungeons from more of an RPG experience to a competitive experience. Even when dungeons are designed now they have to be done with competitive gameplay in mind.

The competitiveness was always there long before arena was even in the game. Guilds use to compete against each other back in BLW all the time back in vanilla

Race for world first existed all the way back in Vanilla.