Whats your ideal World PvP?

I didn’t realize we had a World PvP section of the forums!

For me, ideally. You’re at a disadvantage in world pvp. Someone got the drop on you, or you’re reasonably outnumbered.

There’s something romantic about fighting against the odds. And I think the random, chaotic nature of world pvp can’t be compared to by instanced PvP modes like BG’s RBG’s or Arena.

Maybe this is because I’m a rogue main and stealth gives me more freedom to pick and choose my fights.

I’d say I’m not a fan of extremely strong damage items in World PvP. Like that Obelisk in Tanaan from back in WoD. Among other things. - But control gadgets I’m okay with (like grenades of various types) since they’re more to help even the odds by giving you some breathing room, rather than just outright killing someone for you.

What’s your ideal world pvp? Where is it? What holds fond memories for you?

7 Likes

To be able to fight spontaneously in the open world 1v1 without 50 other Horde jumping in.

6 Likes

Yeah being unreasonably outnumbered isn’t fun.

I like fighting 1-2 people at most. 3 if I’m on a caster and feeling lucky.

Fighting someone and someone else stopping to watch / respect the 1v1 is super nice too.

1 Like

I get a lot of flak from this, but my ideal wpvp is no flying with WM on. Yes, we have the net, but having to think about terrain strategy was always super fun for me. Luckily I can get my fix on a custom no-flying ARK server.

13 Likes

Yeah I also agree with no flying. Ground-restricted areas are much more organic and expansions before flying always have the best pvp.

Also harder for reinforcements to swoop in when they can’t fly.

5 Likes

I agree totally. You described the solo Rogue experience well. Rogues are experts at taking advantage of the chaos in WPVP.

2 Likes

My ideal WPvP is being able to hold your own even when you’re unreasonably out numbered.

I was very fond of Legion WPvP despite it being a broken mess. The main reason why it was such a broken mess though was because of unbalanced legendaries, and it was RNG to get them until the end of the expansion. I loved the power scaling though. If you were geared enough, you could easily 1v8 if the people attacking you weren’t as geared, where as today, all damage is scaled. My priest is 478 ilvl and 4 or 5 players who are 60 ilvls or lower can outnumber you and kill you because they’re scaled. Even your damage against them is scaled to do less damage against them.

I hope Shadowlands is different. I hope scaling is removed because with it, there’s no sense of power progression in PvP. There’s going to be PvP vendors and possibly even a PvP stat too coming in Shadowlands, so there shouldn’t be any reason to keep the current scaling.

1 Like

Had. Or maybe we never did. That’s up to you to decide if this forum has enough regular contributors.

For me, it started in the Crossroads. It finished(just about) in Stormwind City and Ironforge. Ideally, it should be self-challenging, whether it’s 1v1 or 40v40. To think that outcomes are determined by actual PEOPLE is interesting. How fast and how favorable is it for a team to own an area for a few hours?

It really makes me wonder if castle sieges from Lineage II could be a thing, heh.

1 Like

Pvp gear is best for pvp.

No. Gimmicks. No riding goats, no transforming into murlocs or other nonsense. No one shot mechanics and dumb power ups.

Decentivize zerging

Get servers that can handle 30v30+

Bounty system rewards the person being bountied, especially if they are solo

No overpowered pve gear

Skill and game knowledge trumps gear to some extent

Using cooldowns badly gets you punished

World defense fixed

No. Phasing.

Might add more later…

Edit:
Reduce ilvl gap between lower ilvl and best in slot so you dont just die in 3 shots

5 Likes

I agree, PvP gear should be best in slot for PvP. Excited to see PvP Power coming back to remedy this.

These are fun though, especially when they’re out of the way and no one really knows about them. That’s what makes WPvP what it is. You can use whatever you want in PvP, even if it’s something stupid.

For example, the Azerite Flare in Faction Assaults that increases damage and healing done by 200% and drops when you die. It’s so fun. Only one person can carry it and its fun if you’re a solo player.

Yes. Zerging is terrible especially when the servers can’t even handle it.

Yep, currently there’s no reason to stay bountied. I just log my bounty off whenever I get it.

Game knowledge yes, but I feel like that ties into the “gimmicks” you’ve talked about. There are gimmicks in WPvP that aren’t known about that well, and I feel like knowing about it is part of game knowledge. Skill is something required in any form of content. If you’re not a skilled player, even with good gear, you can still be killed by a lower geared player. Gear and level should still hold weight in WPvP because WoW is an MMORPG. The current system we have now scales everything, including damage and healing.

This is already in place and it feels terrible.

1 Like

Some of the more chaotic / toxic pve trinkets and corruptions beg to differ.

i’m well versed in fighitng as underleveled, or undergeared. It’s definitely possible. But it’s never been less likely that you’ll succeed in the age of corruptions.

Agreed. I’d more like to see less dramatic health pool inflation throughout expansions. We had 140k or something when BFA came out. We’re closer to 700k now. Which apparently or allegedly doesn’t matter. But it does still. The math is confusing and apparently corruptions aren’t affected by scaling…

Absolute insanity. For reference, when this game still functioned with its base design, in wotlk we started with 18-20k health, and ended with 27k ~ health.

I have no idea why they’ve been so obsessed with health inflation since MoP. Genuinely clueless. It’s so infuriating.

I’ve always loved most any kind of world pvp.

From taking on a raid of player’s head on while screaming for Azeroth at the top of my lungs.

Or a good 3v3, 2v2 or even the elusive 1v1.

Having a good pvp rival that everytime you see each other it’s like a dragon ball episode! This one of my favorite parts of wpvp. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

That’s always a blast. I haven’t connected with another player cross faction like that in quite some time.

1 Like

it’s tougher to do now with phasing and shards. But I’ve ran in to Alphon a few times out in the world and it allows a good knock out drag out fight. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Small group PVP in Stranglethorn Vale before anyone on the server was level 60.

Not on a tank, though. On a tank, I just try to survive long enough to reach safety. If I can lure the Horde to their deaths at the hands of an Alliance group or raid, all the better.

PVP gear is currently pretty much best in slot for world PVP, especially when you consider that we get to choose our pieces instead of having to deal with random drops. The exception might be some trinkets or idiosyncratic builds. I do agree that corruptions are a big problem, though.

Scaling needs to stay to prevent Mythic raiders from walking all over moderately geared world PVP players. In addition, the scaling system permits gearing options that provide a substantial advantage over similarly geared PVE players, for those who spend the time to understand the system. That’s a good thing, not a bad thing.

Timeless isle

actually all of mop, but timeless isle is special. every time they try to recreate it, it’s a miserable failure

as for situations, I primarily play windwalker monk and aside from that I only play casters in pvp. I enjoy controlling multiple enemies, using mobility and terrain advantage to basically 1v1 people separately even when there are 3 of them. to keep people running around chasing you while you take down one person at a time is the ultimate wpvp pleasure

quel’danas was good too but i was really bad back then so it’s hard to reminisce about my play

Oh timeless isle was something special.

A bit too overtund for my taste, but still excellent hunting ground.

I’ll agree there. MoP was just really fun for world pvp. Especially early mop before universal resilience ruined my pvp gear advantage.

I never really found myself at a real disdvantage even in s15 when pvp gear capped at 550.

My personal favorite place for the entire expansion was the vendors. I spent so much time out there, hunting and defending, on both factions. Probably one of my favorite moments (war story time) was 1v2ing a feral and dk on my ele shaman in townlong steppes below the vendors, and they brezzed each other after each of them died, so I had to kill them both twice.

I’ve found every expansion after mop to just have too much weird “quirky” stuff added, when it should have been kept simple with potions grenades bandages and a couple other things. Prydaz single-handedly destroyed legion wpvp and dueling, late wod had the legendary ring, and bfa is a mess for all the obvious reasons. They don’t understand that sometimes, less really is more

Yeah. I mean, that was the nice part about timeless isle. The buffs around the island were so crazy that you’d never feel too disadvantaged unless you yourself were actually undergeared.

But it was a little too insane for me. I’ve got a clip somewhere of a PvE geared priest taking me to like 10% health with one shadow word pain and a shadowfiend which i may or may not have evasioned I’d have to check. ~ Checked, it was 2 shadow word pains, and reflective shield. I used symbiosis growl to blunt the shadowfiend. I ended at around 15% health hard to judge because of recuperate rolling.

MoP was fun but it was also just insanely tuned especially in the open world.

Definitely preferred earlier patches to timeless for world pvp. Just becuase there were no 30% haste crit mastery full heroic pve geared people running around with quirky /use items.

I’m more of a fan of class vs class with no outside influences. “Pure” fights.

I still enjoyed the heck out of timeless I just want to reiterate that.