What's your favorite cinematic? (Fun thread!)

Starting another character in BfA lands, I got to see again the cinematic of Talanji on the boat consulting Rezan. Every time I see it, the longtime animation art collector in me wishes there were cels or production sketches of it I could bring home. :smiley:

Maybe not my favorite of all cinematics, but high on the list. :smiley: What is everyone else’s favorite??

(And does anyone else wish there were more memory cubes to collect to replay the cinematics on demand? :slight_smile: )

There is only one cinematic that matters, and that is the Wrath of the Lich King opening trailer.

Everything else comes after.

/thread

It was decades ahead of it’s time, and peers. It’s incredibly good even today, and it’s aged beautifully. It’s is also arguably one of the most inspiring trailers in terms of attracting people to the game. Hands down the best cinematic WoW has ever produced.

15 Likes

Wrathgate.

6 Likes

Fully rendered? It would be the one where Saurfang goes to get Thrall. I love the view of Nagrand.

In-game, tho, probably the one leading up to SoO patch of MoP. Where the panda dude tells Garrosh, “your father dabbled in power beyond his understanding. Where is he now?” (Or something like that.

9 Likes

Kalli speaks the truth. My god the opening Wrath cinematic is glorious.

I’ll give the runner-up award to the WoD cinematic trailer… but it loses a lot of points for not making sense and for introducing a pretty bad xpac.

4 Likes

Wrath. It’s perfect. And nothing comes close. Not only is it visually spectacular, but theres some actual poetry to it beyond just “Rah rah epic music and smashing stuff and cheesy one liners.”

4 Likes

the deathwing cinematic.

no story, no narrative. just the big bad laying waste to azeroth in epic scenes.

3 Likes

That blizzard has ever done?
Thrall and Grom confronting Mannoroth
In WoW specifically?
Thats a bit tougher. The first part of Wrathgate is great but then Putress ruins literally everything for years to come. BfA announcement would be pretty good if it wasn’t soured by being a blatant lie. Probably going to have to go with Wrathgate if nothing else for how memorable it is.

1 Like

It’s pretty easy to identify for me:

Mists of Pandaria was probably the one expansion where WoW actually figured out what it really was – it knew its own strengths and used them to its advantage. The tone was a perfect blend of serious and light-hearted without leaning too far in either direction.

Everything since then has been too serious for its own good, with varying levels of success… but it’s starting to feel more apathetic than compelling.

18 Likes

Wrathgate. There are many great ones but Wrathgate is, for me, the jewel in the crown.

2 Likes

Yeah. Taran Zhu was savage there. Garrosh really felt that burn.

4 Likes

Probably the black temple one?

Always made me sad for the draenei, they’ve suffered too much :frowning: The sunwell plateau hurt too.

In bfa my favorite was the one of Jaina facing her demons on thros, when she realizes that everyone she loved was ripped away. I just kinda wish they included Kindy in it too though.

5 Likes

Mine would probably be wrathgate

1 Like

Expansion Cinematic : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCr7y4SLhck
(WotLK)

In-game Cinematic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_kq2kBNF7g
(Legion: What a King Must Do)

Patch Promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmndxoF74qQ
(BC - ZA)

1 Like

Wrath, BfA, and Legion in no particular order are my easy top 3.

The original one. Best ever.

Saurfang and Zenhan, like that cinematic it was a father and son.

He might have felt it for a second, I have a feeling Taran Zhu felt that axehead for a little longer. I change my vote for patch promo, SoO > ZA

2 Likes

Still by far BFA’s opening cinematic, the Battle for Lordearon.

I really love the end of this one when Yrel says “Just you”.

5 Likes