What's the point of the Void Elves?

This is a great point.

5 Likes

The problem is that Void Elves didn’t have a Highmountain or a Suramar. They still need to be developed.

6 Likes

To look fabulous of course.

And the same thing is going to happen with Mechagnomes.

I mean, they can barely give regular gnomes any lore, you honestly think mechagnomes are going to get anything after the mechagon grind is all said and done?

This is why Alliance players are mostly indifferent to our AR choices. Blizzard is not listening to our opinions at all and instead opting to pull nonsense out of thin air even if it doesn’t make sense to do so.

I mean, let’s look a little closer at what they did with the Void elves shall we?

Blizzard could have quelled some of the ire of the fans if they had simply said they were Alliance loyal High Elves, following Alleria’s lead, that chose to follow the path of void magic.

Did they do that? No. Instead they went out of their way to specifically state that the Void elves are EX Horde Blood Elves from Quel’thalas that have been kicked out of their own society for attempting to dabble in void magic.

W. T. F.

Evel Knievel couldn’t have made that leap.

They took the easiest, most logical idea, and promptly threw it right in the trash and then opted for some convoluted nonsense that pleased exactly NOBODY.

Not only do Allaince STILL not get the playable high elves they always wanted, even if it was in name only, now the Horde players have to deal with the fact that MORE of their own had turned traitor.

FFS Blizzard… What are you even doing?

9 Likes

Although the Nightborne seem to be playing a major role in the Horde’s campaign so far. Being led by Thalryssa, and assisted by Oculeth as well. You even carry out quests for them and interact with their associates throughout the city.

Void Elves are another example of Blizzard meeting the players half way and everyone losing.

20 Likes

Oh boy. I am super happy for the NB then?

I can only think of two reasons for void elves being neglected so far:

• They are a last minute thought to fill up a race slot and Blizzard has no idea of what to do with them

Or

• They are being set up to betray the Alliance in the final patch. The reason we don’t delve into them now is because we wouldn’t like what we’d see. Of course, not all will be traitors, and we will be introduced to new void elves (high elves converted against their will?), which will carry on the race.
3 Likes

It would be nice if this were to cause the high elves to flee the alliance back to Quel’thalas and give blood elves the blue eye option in their customization.

But I thought there were no such thing as high elves anymore, only blood elves?

Whhhaaaat?!

Did the horde accidentally acknowledge their presence?

12 Likes

That won’t happen. Much more likely for all high elves to become void elves, ending the discussion once and for all.

3 Likes

I do agree, I thought BfA was going to be The void instead…

I still think it’s a little odd that they can’t be Demon Hunters.

I mean, I get it, they didn’t want to upset the class balance between factions, but are we really suggesting there were NO DHs from the Blood Elves who wanted to research Void as a weapon to use to save Azeroth/the universe? The class known for basically embracing all powers that they can manage to hold onto to accomplish their goals. Coming back with that mindset and hearing about research into the void… why wouldn’t any of them join up with that? Augmenting their existing powers with the void would be kind of cool too. Void Eyebeams? Void aura instead of immolation aura? It’d be very cool… but nope.

Valtrois also has a presence. She’s present throughout the war campaign and talks to the player a fair bit by acting as their follower. She also provides insight in how she feels like Sylvanas might be heading down the wrong path after you let Ashvane out while working with her.

All in all though, you are correct. The nightborne have a strong presence within the expansion, but they’re the only allied race to really have one it feels like. Between helping the blood elf reliquary and joining them on an official note over in Xibala, to the story development of Valtrois, Oculeth and Thalyssra, the nightborne have an obvious presence and impact on the Horde.

Highmountain and Lightforged act as some NPC’s here and there that provide aid such as flight masters, quartermasters, etc. But nothing to the extent of Nightborne. Void elves have some presence throughout the Alliance campaign, but really, it honestly feels like Umbric is a serious fanboy who’s just acting throughout his best interest to stabilize himself within the Alliance. Nothing more. Makes the character feel disingenuous.

1 Like

I think the voidelves were made for the sole reason to satisfy the high elf people. But blizz probably wanted a race that had something to do with the void so they could do some lore stuff later.

I think the skin colour and glowy hair was to establish that “they are not blood/high elves”.

1 Like

Wasted potential for Void Elves this expansion. An entire expansion featuring void and old god corruption and whispers and all we get is a quest with Umbric and him moaning about how he really wants to go home to Silvermoon and wants the BEs to join the Alliance. He makes me sick.

6 Likes

Umbric being so flawless and bland is one of the reasons I think betrayal is coming.

What arc does he have? He’s already mastering the void. He’s shown no inner or outer conflict. He’s too good to be true. We know nothing of his story. He will be revealed as duplicitous, I’m sure.

2 Likes

The guy has learned nothing. Lease of which is why he AND Alleria were exiled in the first place. The Void and the Sunwell do NOT play well together.

Has he learned nothing? I think he knows very well, just plays dumb.

I pray that’s what he’s actually doing because if not…