What's So Fun About Rogue

Rogues are all about the ambush. Back in 2005 when I was coming up with my ideal character in my head I knew I wanted them to be a dark stalker lurking in the trees ready to ambush their prey like a hungry lion. Feral Druids and Hunters with Camouflage can also technically fulfill this fantasy but they both entail becoming or using beasts. Rogues can do it while still remaining their normal selves and relying solely on their wits and guile instead of magic or companions. That’s what’s fun about the class fantasy to me.

4 Likes

they are wanted for m+ skips thats about it.

I enjoy the natural pauses in the rotation that energy provides and I like having the agency to pool resources for a burst or just use them as they become available. It sounds like you want a more GCD locked spec like fury or havoc. I’m personally not into super spammy carpal tunnel playstyles but that may be more your speed.

I’m in a similar boat regarding healers. I love the concept of being the team’s lifeline but the actual execution, having to stare down and whack-a-mole some colorful squares in the user interface, makes it unappealing to me in the end.

Maybe the fantasy of sneaking about, knocking people out, and rifling through their pockets… taking their disguises, etc. will get you through the fewer attacks per minute. Maybe it won’t. One thing’s for sure, you’re not going to know until you get one to max level. I’d say suck it up and power through the leveling process; it really isn’t long and it’ll be even shorter soon.

1 Like

The short answer for me is that it has a lot of nice stuff.

The longer answer:

You mentioned DH, so i’ll start with tricks of the trade.

It’s pretty common for DH to have major threat problems. Most good dps players in m+ have to think carefully about threat in BFA. There’s one DH I play with (a very good player) who really has to be careful on most pulls. He’s always holding himself back, and you can tell it’s painful. Our tank is good too, it’s not a tank problem. When i’m on my rogue, I can go ham from the start of the pull with tricks of the trade, and so can everyone else because the tank suddenly has a ton more threat on everything. You can even tricks then open with focusing iris to basically guarantee nobody is ever pulling off the tank.

If you do pull threat as a rogue? Stun, gouge, spell immunity, blind, 100% parry, cheat death, vanish or vanish stun. Almost endless options, most classes are lucky to have 2.

Does being a melee annoy you because of hitboxes and having to sometimes have your nose up mobs asses to make sure they’re in range? Well, Outlaw has 50% more melee range than any other melee in the game. And blade flurry hits everything in a circle 18yds across (9yds in all directions from the rogue). You also have two hard hitting abilities that are part of your rotation that are ranged. Assassination has good range on aoe with fan of knives too, and great uptime due to dots, even on spread packs.

Does not having cooldowns annoy you? Well Rogue can basically have them up every pull or two, with how their CD reduction works.

You mentioned energy being slow. Well, pick your poison. Outlaw is one of the highest action per minute specs in the game if you feel like thats important. And assassination is much slower and more thoughtful if that’s what you want.

We’ve got wound poison, slows, dots, great mobility. The list goes on.

With 3 dps specs I don’t know of a time when 1 or 2 of them weren’t strong. We’re also a leather wearer, which is a really common armor type for m+ players at least, making loot sharing easy.

We have one of the only non-combat trigerring CC’s in the game (sap) and with certain cheeses we can also use blind to do the same, to allow more skips or stop mobs getting bolstered etc.

This season we can pull mobs away from pylons and vanish them off while our team enters the pylon (10+ m+).

And I haven’t even mentioned stealth until now. It’s just the icing on the cake really. Avoid things you don’t want, avoid ganks, gank who you want. Pick your fights in wpvp or battlegrounds, set your strategy in arena etc. On top of all of that we can even stealth our whole group with shroud.

If you go engineering (for a combat res) and get some drums, you really do have just about everything.

Those are my reasons :slight_smile:.

9 Likes

The element of surprise, danger, and the effort of cunning that when applied in the correct dosage can cause an enemy player to destroy their keyboard.

4 Likes

idk lmao i choose my classes based on aesthetic/class fantasy

1 Like

other than the fantasy which is always cool, rogues allow a different sort of gameplay by sneaking around all the time. skipping trash is always great.

all three specs have something to offer and can be fun in different ways, even in these overly pruned times. early in the expansion rogues feel pretty bad, but now with gear levels higher and essences and whatnot they feel much smoother. I’m even enjoying sub atm playing with dark shadow, and outlaw occasionally even though it’s been my least favorite.

1 Like

Honestly leveling it currently would be kinda meh, but having leveled in wotlk ore -recuperate/leaching poison/making poisons and all that it is far easier now. The thing that kept me hooked in was the gameplay though. The lack of armor and squishy-ness made you plan your attacks rolling stuns and disarms to make it possible to run from mob to mob without eating/bandaging.

Many melee classes in wow are just boring straight up smashers rogue just is the most unique and fun … for me atleast

1 Like

Well there are a few things i like about it, one is you feel like an assassin, stealth through mobs and take out the primary target in world questing etc. Second thing is the utility of the spec, got a mechanic in the raid that needs soaked, cloak of shadows. Got some annoying mobs you dont want to fight in a dungeon or raid, rogue can get you by those mobs. So many things a rogue can do plus if one of your favorite characters from novels was Artemis Entreri Rogue does fit with that. The energy thing becomes less of a problem with gear and levels but the basic concept is build your combo points, then spend them at 5 for nice damage abilities. Assassination if my favorite spec, so put your dots on the target or multiple targets and pool energy to keep your dots up and keep your energy from capping. Havent really tried outlaw or sub though but if you want to play the pirate swashbuckling role, outlaw is there.

1 Like

Off-topic but I haven’t thought about F117 Stealth Fighter in years and I loved that game. Been a rogue main from jump, too. Respect.

1 Like

Well goblin is my all time favorite race and the only leather class they can be is rogue so :man_shrugging:

I’ll make a button with that sentence and wear it on my coin bag.

1 Like

I rolled my rogue (1st toon) at the launch of WOTLK. He is still my fave. I don’t raid hardcore anymore but at the end of a looong work day his stabby nature is very theraputic. I love going where others fear to tread. I might lose, but the odds are I will win and have tremendous fun doing it.

Rogues are the most fashionable battleground class and once you realize the potential you have to influence enemy movement to your team’s advantage youll want to keep coming back for more random pvp unless you hate pvp but thats literally what rogues were made for.

1 Like

You sure you didn’t roll a dk? Your necro magic is strong!

4 Likes

theres a bit of rng in there. sometimes it’s fun sometimes it’s just not.

on outlaw at least… sometimes i feel like a god sometimes i feel like a snail. depends on a bunch of stuff outside my control.

i feel like it’s a spec for gamblers :stuck_out_tongue:

*damn very nice necro.

Best answer for sure :slight_smile:

A short story, I main’d feral for most the expansion, except season 2, and swapped to boomkin for a month of season 3. Rogue is like feral, but you have a free button to vanish, and it feels less micro management intensive to me in contrast to feral. Rogue hits hard with less. There is a way to get energy back as sub, idk how true it is for the other two specs of the class. But I’m sitting around level 34-35 right now with my rogue. IT feels really good, i hit a dry spot from 25-27, which was what pushed me through the questline i was doing with several mobs. it really requires some forethought in how you eliminate groups.

You should of seen what leveling a rogue felt like in Vanilla WoW, i had a lvl 45 rogue… it was painful to level. Right now though, nah this feels pretty great, things die super fast, i can avoid mobs i don’t need to kill. Quest chain is just moving faster for me all together.

Instant gratification vs Delayed gratification. Feral is very gear dependent, and you won’t pull the numbers, but you have all the utility in the world, and no one will bring a feral, that is my personal experience at 267ilvl and knowing the class inside out and performing very well. Sub rogue has a lot more burst in a shorter amount of time, feral just won’t have that until end game, and even then won’t be comparable. Ferals aren’t getting into 30+ keys, or even 20keys, you’ll be lucky if they take you in a 12-15 after playing queue simulator for dozens of hours. Same with boomkin, and Restoration tbh with you. Restoration has it a lot better, but it lacks the GCD’s if a team member gets hit for 90% of their health, this leaves raids, which most people have forgone for M+ due to ease, and for better words its herding cats.

People liked DK because of how they were designed, that design has changed A LOT. I mained UH DK in 8.3, and it was thrown into the bonfire for most the expansion. Frost is very simple, but I personally don’t feel rewarded enough to play it, its a 3 button rotation with one to two Cd’s to manage depending on build. It has some utility, and only recently was buffed into “S” tier for raid. I can’t go back to DK, and I’ve tried a few times. How it plays feels very unrewarding, and doesn’t stimulate my brain cells enough. DH… I only played one in 8.3 to avoid crawling up that temple with a DK/Warlock, once I got flying it was put on the side lines, and I’ve absolutely no experience with DH. But from the recent patch notes, it sounds like their DPS spec is a one button rotation and isn’t fun as it used to be.

Planning and knowing when the tables have turned. Get in and get out. Many people may have a rogue but not many are a rogue.

Being able to react quickly and help team mates in pvp or a keen eye to peel for a healer in pve.

We really have to think quickly to survive as well.

2 Likes